Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is your favorite character on Terra Nova?
Commander Taylor 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Mira 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Officer Jim Shannon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Doctor Elizabeth Shannon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Josh Shannon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Skye 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Maddy Shannon 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Zoe Shannon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lt. Alicia Washington 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Boylan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dr. Malcolm Wallace 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm

I think my favorite character on Terra Nova is Commander Taylor.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I didn't like Terra Nova. When I saw that the dad got away with smuggling children and weapons into Terra Nova and wasn't locked up I decided not to watch it.

That said, I liked the old army guy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 8:14 pm

• Other
None of the Above - I can't stand the show.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 4:41 am

This forum is no good for polls anyway. Especially with so many options. Just doesn't see that many visitors.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 9:03 am

Fnord wrote:
  • Other

Why? Did you decide this on the first episode? I didn't and don't care for the environmentalism in its premise, but much of the show is still good regardless.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 9:08 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I didn't like Terra Nova. When I saw that the dad got away with smuggling children and weapons into Terra Nova and wasn't locked up I decided not to watch it.

In the case of smuggling his child onto Terra Nova, I think he was right and the government was wrong. The weapon he had with him was merely a necessity as a precaution prior to passing through the dimensional-temporal portal which (until the next episode or so) allows for the passage of matter in only one direction. The sonic blaster he had is able to be used in a non-lethal manner, and given that he didn't kill the three population control officers when they were stealing his daughter away he probably wouldn't have used it in a lethal manner then either - which he didn't even use the pistol whatsoever.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

In the case of smuggling his child onto Terra Nova, I think he was right and the government was wrong. The weapon he had with him was merely a necessity as a precaution prior to passing through the dimensional-temporal portal which (until the next episode or so) allows for the passage of matter in only one direction. The sonic blaster he had is able to be used in a non-lethal manner, and given that he didn't kill the three population control officers when they were stealing his daughter away he probably wouldn't have used it in a lethal manner then either - which he didn't even use the pistol whatsoever.

Smuggling weapons.
Smuggling children.

No way to verify that the child was even his, and this guy just walks free. Sloppy. Later, several kids escape the compound to go make alcohol.

As if any military would allow this BS to happen. I don't even know how the army new he had the child immediately. It was poor story telling. He gave the child to his wife who passed through minutes before he did. All of a sudden he tumbles through and they immediately check the wifes bag and find the kid (?) Whatever.

On top of that, the children and wife seem to be there solely for soap-opera style drama. I just couldn't stomach it.

I later found out that the military is having trouble with spies and violent traitors in his compound or whatever. As if he'd allow the dad off with a warning with all that stuff going on.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

I'm a fan of Terra Nova, fight me.

Anyhoo, my favorite would be Commander Taylor too. He's a veteran badass.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Fnord wrote:
  • Other

Why? Did you decide this on the first episode? I didn't and don't care for the environmentalism in its premise, but much of the show is still good regardless.

Stargate + Jurassic Park + Lost = Just another derivative program. I watched three episodes before reaching that conclusion.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

Fnord wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Fnord wrote:
  • Other

Stargate + Jurassic Park + Lost = Just another derivative program. I watched three episodes before reaching that conclusion.

Surprised you made it to 3 to be honest.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:09 pm

Simonono wrote:
I'm a fan of Terra Nova, fight me.

Anyhoo, my favorite would be Commander Taylor too. He's a veteran badass.

Hooyah! For that I give you thus: + n/x, when n is a positive nonzero number and x approaches zero;

1/0.1=10, 1/0.01=100, 1/0.001=1000, etc, i.e. infinity.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Smuggling weapons.
Smuggling children.

No way to verify that the child was even his, and this guy just walks free. Sloppy. Later, several kids escape the compound to go make alcohol.

As if any military would allow this BS to happen. I don't even know how the army new he had the child immediately. It was poor story telling. He gave the child to his wife who passed through minutes before he did. All of a sudden he tumbles through and they immediately check the wifes bag and find the kid (?) Whatever.

On top of that, the children and wife seem to be there solely for soap-opera style drama. I just couldn't stomach it.

I later found out that the military is having trouble with spies and violent traitors in his compound or whatever. As if he'd allow the dad off with a warning with all that stuff going on.

Smuggling a weapon which they immediately take from him, and smuggling his own child which is one umpteen quintillion records as being the daughter of Jim and Beth Shannon. No, that's reasonable, especially given that there is no way back through the portal (although Taylor's son is developing a way that there will be, it is not known in the first episode) so it's not as if they can send back the girl or the one pistol. Yes though, the backpack was a plot hole.

No, soap opera drama is hypersurrealistic romantic garbage. Terra Nova is far less in that area although it does have more than I like. Most of the relationships are familial and friendship rather than romantic. As for Josh Shannon though, I hope a dinosaur eats him as he is the one truly annoying character of the lot.

The Terra Nova colony has an enemy, so yes there's going to be spies and traitors and even an Australian version of Quark.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:36 pm

Oh Fnord, you forgot Aliens. A Newt type character was in the episode Runaway. If there ever was an good case of plagiarism, it would be that. But even so, it wasn't done badly.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 5:37 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

1. Smuggling a weapon which they immediately take from him, and smuggling his own child which is one umpteen quintillion records as being the daughter of Jim and Beth Shannon. No, that's reasonable, especially given that there is no way back through the portal (although Taylor's son is developing a way that there will be, it is not known in the first episode) so it's not as if they can send back the girl or the one pistol. Yes though, the backpack was a plot hole.

2. No, soap opera drama is hypersurrealistic romantic garbage. Terra Nova is far less in that area although it does have more than I like. Most of the relationships are familial and friendship rather than romantic. As for Josh Shannon though, I hope a dinosaur eats him as he is the one truly annoying character of the lot.

3. The Terra Nova colony has an enemy, so yes there's going to be spies and traitors and even an Australian version of Quark.

1. What records? It's not like they transferred records of who is related to who, not that the guy could even prove who either of them were since all he had with him was the stuff prepared for him after he broke out of prison.

It's not about simply sending things back. If they could he would have gone straight back to jail.

2. Opinions.

3. Exactly. So why would he trust this random guy when he botched an attempt to smuggle a child and weapons in secretly? No sane man would. Especially not with spies and all the rest being sent through the portal as well. I don't know what Quark is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Fnord wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Fnord wrote:
  • Other
Surprised you made it to 3 to be honest.

I gave it a fair chance.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 10:56 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Oh Fnord, you forgot Aliens. A Newt type character was in the episode Runaway. If there ever was an good case of plagiarism, it would be that. But even so, it wasn't done badly.

Naw ... the "Alien" franchise at least had Sigourney Weaver involved to class things up.