Favorite Disney Animated Classic from the Golden Age?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

What's your favorite Disney Animated Classic from the Golden Age?
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Pinocchio 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Fantasia 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
Dumbo 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Bambi 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 3:08 am

The "Golden Age" refers to the first five films released by Walt Disney Pictures, from 1937 to 1942. I'm going to make a new poll for each era of the Disney Animated Classics canon, because it would be rather cumbersome to include all 51 movies from the canon in one poll.

Anyway, vote for your favorite movie from the Golden Age! :)

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 3:50 am

It actually seems like it would make more sense to just ask what's your favorite disney movie from: and then list the ages in the thread

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 4:03 am

WhiteWidow wrote:
It actually seems like it would make more sense to just ask what's your favorite disney movie from: and then list the ages in the thread

My initial idea was to just make one poll with all 51 movies, but that would be intimidating for lots of people because it would be difficult for them to just choose one out of 51 options. That's why I decided to break the movies up into the eras from which they came.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 6:19 am

i am very partial to fantasia only because it is a bona fide work of art on multiple fronts- it stretched the technology and technical knowhow of the day to the limits and beyond- it was the first animated feature to make large-scale use of the multiplane camera, it was the first to use heroic measures to provide stereo surround sound and [for the day] high fidelity sound quality, which places it in a category head and shoulders above all the rest. it was a pioneer, ahead of its time. in terms of the multichannel surround-soundtrack, it predated the next surround sound spectacular "this is cinerama" by 12 years! :o

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

I think it would either be Snow White or Pinocchio.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 5:58 pm

Hey Descartes did Doug Walker's Disneycember videos inspire you to ask these questions?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 6:19 pm

tb86 wrote:
Hey Descartes did Doug Walker's Disneycember videos inspire you to ask these questions?

Not really. I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 9:09 pm

Fantasia! I love that movie. The dinosaur part always scared me when I was little, but I loved (and still do) Night On Bald Mountain. Chernabog is so cool, I always wanted him to succeed, but he never does.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 10:09 pm

the "ave maria" sequence in fantasia always did it for me.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 11:31 am

Again, I have to say that there's no such thing as a worst film in this batch. All of these are bona fide classics of both animation and American cinema in general. This is probably the hardest batch to pick a "best" from, but here's what I got:
-Fantasia
-Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
-Bambi
-Pinocchio
-Dumbo (and no, I didn't find the crows racist)

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

It's very hard to choose a favourite from this bunch. I voted for Pinocchio because it's the one that really hits me on an emotional level and I always cry at the end when Pinocchio sacrifices his life to save Geppetto and the fairy godmother rewards his courage by turning him into a real boy.

I love all of these films in different ways, though:

Snow White was the first of its kind and the bare simplicity of the storyline makes it feel like Disney in its purest form.

Fantasia is the most cerebral of the Disney films and is something of an acquired taste.

Dumbo stands out because of its raw chaos and has a sense of spontaniety that other Disney's lack.

Bambi is a masterpiece of both animation and sound and perhaps the finest Disney on an aesthetic level.

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2011, 4:39 pm

After reading about it I may have to watch Fantasia sometime; it's one of few Disney ones I've never seen.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 6:50 pm

To this day I have never seen Fantasia. It's the one Disney film I still have yet to see aside from those other films that come after Bambi and are before Cinderella, I'm not really interested in those films.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:32 pm

to all the prospective Fantasia watchers, be sure you turn on your surround-sound audio system to best enjoy this movie, in which the audio is a major player. the movie was made specifically to demonstrate the music, which follows the onscreen action in a directional manner. you definitely miss something when you delete the surround sound in this one.