Should I give away or BURN my Equestria Girl dolls, or what?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 10:45 pm

Yesterday I found a review of MLP: Equestria Girls on a site known as Tooncrap. As one would expect from a site with that name the review was mostly negative although the reviewer, who of course, was a brony, said he didn't really *hate* the movie. But you see, I've never seen the movie. I don't really plan to anytime soon unless it airs on TV or something, but I bought the EG dolls because I LIKED them. Yes, I know they're basically Hasbro's answer to the Monster High dolls (which I also collect), although they said they were inspired by fan art of the characters as humans (they must have only looked at the art with the safety on, like the reviewer said), and worst of all the EG are *ugh* HUMAN TEENAGERS!! ! 8O I also bought the EG doll of Celestia, since she was the only doll of an adult character and I needed one adult to keep those teenagers from spreading worse terror than even the adolescent vampires and zombies of MH ever could . :lol: So was I an utter moron to buy dolls intended for girls based on a movie from a series whose intended audience was girls but ended up appealing to a "stronger" audience. That was the brony reviewer's word for it, I think by "stronger" he meant "male". :ncool: I know I shouldn't give a rat's tail (a pony's tail?) about what other people think, but now I feel weird, anxious, and depressed for collecting something from a franchise that got such negativity or even mixed reviews from the audience who normally like it, plus I've never even watched the dumb thing and why should I have to because it's basically a commercial for the toys, because MLP were toys to begin with but now the reason they're still making them is because of FIM and I don't don't know nothing I say makes any sense at all good night. :?

sewingmama
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm

I think if you enjoy them, you should keep them. Who cares what one reviewer said? I've looked at the Rainbow Dash doll with the posable arms and legs more than once at the store. I have Monster High dolls too, and American Girl and Maplelea (Canadian dolls like American Girl) I like them a lot, I don't care if other people don't like them. I'm not other people.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 10:42 am

Just because someone gives a bad review of something you enjoy, doesn't mean you should stop enjoying it. If you do that, then you'll never enjoy anything, because it doesn't matter what show/movie it is - there will always, always be someone who hates it.

I'll use one of my own interests as an example - I have seen people complain about the anime Pokemon: Best Wishes so much that they nitpick everything from Iris or Cilan's characterizations to certain Pokemon getting too much screentime. It even has a measly "decent" rating on Anime News Network. But you know what? For whatever reason, I love the show. It brings me a great amount of joy to watch it, and I refuse to let other people make me feel bad for indulging in something that makes me happy.

I know it is much easier said than done - I remember when I was going through a Tim Burton phase, I actually cried whenever I read a bad review of one of his movies. But eventually I reached a point where I got tired of kowtowing to other people's opinions and started taking a stand on my own.

It all comes down to this: Your opinions are just as valid and important as anyone else's. This is especially true of subjective things such as any form of entertainment. Don't let anyone tell you differently, or make you feel bad for being who you are.

I'd like to close by sharing with you a song that, through repeated listenings, partially helped give me the encouragement I needed to pursue my own interests without giving an eff what other people thought:

http://youtu.be/HHQJIjTzkXA%20(click)

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 7:25 pm

Keep them. If nothing else, they may be collector's items in a decade or so. :D

Seriously, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. For the record, I watched EG and actually liked it. Opinions are just that--opinions.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2014, 7:37 am

I agree with conundrum, it doesn't matter what other people think, and if you do get rid of them sell em on ebay or give them to Goodwill. The Japanese believe that toys have souls-and they may be right :lol: