Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2005, 2:55 pm

what's with the survivor, american idol etc there is nothing real about these shows except for the amazing race which is likle a horse race or a car race at nascar

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2005, 10:54 pm

Stupid people watch reality TV. Reality TV is a waste of time, money, and brain power (or lack thereof).

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2005, 11:05 pm

Reality TV is why MTV and MTV-2 suck. Now MuchMusic is joining that list.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2005, 11:53 am

Music videos vary a lot in quality but the fact that MTV itself no longer plays them is, I think, stupid.

As for reality TV I agree a lot of it sucks but sometimes it's helpful for people with AS. (I'm sure a lot of us have tried to act NT based on what we learned from TV. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it backfires!)

I watch 'The Apprentice' on US TV for that reason. Even I don't fit into their world (business/corporate) it's good to know how that world works, and in exaggerated, cartoonish form the game and the people in it show how it works.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2005, 12:13 pm

Most reality tv shows are stupid, and that's why I don't watch them. But alot of people like them. Whenever anyone finds out I don't watch American Idol at school, they're amazed. I think the whole school likes American idol.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2005, 1:05 pm

I forget that 'Idol' is on so I've missed the last few series but liked it when I saw it at first, for the first few episodes with loads of bad auditions and Simon Cowell (on the US one) being blisteringly direct with the poor contestants. I like Simon - he's a lot of things I'd like to be but am not (he's beefy handsome and has a cool accent) and he's usually just being completely honest. If you're good at singing he'll tell you, just like he'll tell you if you're not!

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2005, 6:34 pm

Some reality TV is okay. I watch 'The Amazing Race' and 'The Apprentice'. To me, they seem more like gameshows. I think those shows like 'Whose Your Daddy' are crap. I don't watch 'American Idol', but I have seen about three episodes since the first season.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2005, 8:10 pm

Reality TV is the most futile experience imaginable - why don't people just flog their tellies and buy binoculars with which to ogle each other from within their own homes all day - It'd save electricity and the cost of a licence. It just completely beggars my belief what the attraction in it all is.....

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2005, 8:25 pm

I often wonder if this spate of reality tv shows has anything to do with them being cheaper than real programs. Why bother paying actors when you can get some people to sit around doing nothing for free????

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2005, 7:39 pm

Reality shows are now what talk shows were in the 90's..too many to count..
While i do like to watch the season premiere of 'american idol' just to hear the really bad singers, i pretty much tune out all reality shows period...i don't find any entertainment value in any of them, i prefer scripted shows whether they be comedies or dramas..24, Alias, CSI..those are good shows
Come to think of it, i do like one reality show, and that's Extreme Makeover:Home Edition..it actually holds my interest..i like to see them scramble to fix up those peoples' houses and the before and after their hard labor..

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2005, 1:17 pm

My parents discourage watching Reality TV, and have even forbidden some shows such as Fear Factor. We sometimes watch American Idol in Choir class at school, but if anyone sings poorly it hurts my ears. I am known throughout the school district for my perfect pitch. I don't mean to be a snob, but because of my perfect pitch, I have very delicate eardrums that are afflicted with pain when they hear a sour note. :x
Back on topic, I don't see the "entertainment" in humiliating people because they can't sing or are too smart to eat a cockroach. It is a very stupid NT idea that everyone is entertained by such things. Well, count me out. I am disgusted. :evil: