Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:37 pm

Maybe I'm just nit picking here but I was watching Back to the Future the other day (a personal favourite by the way) and something just occured to me when watching it. Here you have Marty McFly who goes back to 1955 and meets his teenage mother who is attracted to him. That would technically be incest. Isn't that a little unethical? I mean it's not like she knows that Marty is her son and it's not like that he was attracted to her as he was definately not tempted. Also in Back to the Future Part III Doc Brown meets and falls in love with Clara and they have two boys and the thing that comes to mind is that wouldn't that mean that the Doc is technically his own ancestor which would imply incest as well. I do love these movies of course and it's not like this is some sick twisted idea thought up by the creators. I mean could a religious person watch and enjoy these films and ignore all the stuff I just said.

"Get out of my mind. GET OUT" - Tarantulas, Beast Wars Transformers Season 2 Episode 4

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:51 pm

Yes, it WOULD be incest if Marty got together with his mom in 1955, which is why he made every effort NOT to encourage her and did everything he could to get him with his future dad, not only to avoid incest but to save his own life. The movie never presents either him or his future mom as unethical, only unaware. If he DID get together with her, not only would it be incest, but he'd end up killing himself by creating a paradox. Are you saying it's unethical for the movie to even bring it up at all? He did the right thing, that's what matters.

As for Clara, I don't recall that SHE was his ancestor or related in any way to him, nor did his sons eventually lead to him being born. Other than being from the future, Doc is just a man who fell in love with a woman.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 12:12 am

Agreed with sacrip. Marty was very uncomfortable with having his mother hit on him. And Clara was supposed to die in the original timeline, before Dr Brown ended up in the Wild West and saved her. So the likelihood of her being Dr Brown's ancestor is virtually nil.

BTW, I met Christopher Lloyd last year at Supanova. :)

On sabbatical...

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 3:54 pm

sacrip says

Quote:
As for Clara, I don't recall that SHE was his ancestor or related in any way to him, nor did his sons eventually lead to him being born. Other than being from the future, Doc is just a man who fell in love with a woman.

&

Quatermass says

Quote:
Clara was supposed to die in the original timeline, before Dr Brown ended up in the Wild West and saved her. So the likelihood of her being Dr Brown's ancestor is virtually nil.

I suppose thats right but when I thought about that the thing that comes to mind is that episode of Futurama where the crew goes back in time to 50's Roswell and Fry ends up being his own Grandfather by and I hate to spell it out but sleeping with his own Grandmother though he assumed she wasn't his Grandmother after the guy who was suppose to be his grandfather was killed. I assumed that Doc Brown became his own ancestor but I guess I was wrong and I shouldn't compare one time travel adventure to a completely different other. Each movie and tv show has there own different ways of telling time travel.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 4:47 pm

I just want to know where are the flying cars?

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:54 pm

My mother and sister enjoyed it. They are Christians. They also want to see all three together at a time. Clara can't be Brown's relative either. She was supposed to die over a cliff, and he took her with him on the new time travel train. Plus, in the library he said his first relatives in Hill Valley 1908 had a last name like Von Bron or something.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 4:58 am

VIDEODROME wrote:

Same.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 6:53 am

PastFixations wrote:
VIDEODROME wrote:

Same.

I'm actually glad there's no flying cars. Drivers are bad enough on the road as it is, we don't need drunk fliers dropping onto houses or onto people. And if things go wrong in a flying car, the ground isn't beneath your wheels. Well, not touching them, anyway.

On sabbatical...

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 2:14 pm

Well I think in the movie you had to follow the "skyway" so there was some order to it.

Also I suppose in an almost magical sci-fi future world like BTTF you could take an inhaler or pill that would sober you up

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 4:15 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
My mother and sister enjoyed it. They are Christians. They also want to see all three together at a time. Clara can't be Brown's relative either. She was supposed to die over a cliff, and he took her with him on the new time travel train. Plus, in the library he said his first relatives in Hill Valley 1908 had a last name like Von Bron or something.

My dad's a Christian and he loves Back to the Future. I'm also a Christian and I see nothing objectionable about it. As others have said, Marty didn't succumb to his past-mom hitting on him, so no harm was done.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 10:03 pm

"Why BACK TO THE FUTURE Is Secretly Horrifying"

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 11:51 pm

You seem to not understand that the incestusal implications is what made that scene so funny.