Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

birdsandbugs
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2012, 7:39 am

Okay I'm sure we all have many reasons to hate commercials. What I really hate is how they seem to always feature attractive people, couples, families or a bunch of "bohemian hotties" hanging out at the beach to some sort of contemporary soft guitar music. It's bad enough that companies have to try and be cute or clever in their little product wars to win your favor when you just want to watch your show (car commericlas...ugh) but I hate having to be force fed "social propaganda" at the same time. First off I think a lot of it is a poor representation of the joys these things supposedly bring (I know a lot of people that are married with kids and are miserable). My feeling is that the general masses only want to see or hear something that looks good so they put all these pretty people on screen when it's not just pretty people that live in the world. Second, I'd rather not be reminded of things I may never have. When I see a mother hugging her daughter and both of them look at the audience smiling in a juice commercial or something, I feel like they're saying "This is what you're supposed to have otherwise you are pure evil". And yes in a way it does make me feel like a bit of a bad guy or just crappy in general. Such things are part of the reason I don't watch much TV anymore. Anyone else feel the same?

Aelfwine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 May 2012, 11:17 am

I hate comercials and advertising in general, because you are "learning" that consumption makes happy and that you need to buy everything. This is not sustainable thinking.
Also the production of comercials and advertisement is wasting money and ressources.
But advertisenment is a consequence of a on consumption concentrated capitalism.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 11:31 am

I use to find commercials just annoying, now I find them just plain EVIL. One thing I can't figure out is why the Fox Network has tons of commercials that want me to tear my own skin off, and I seldom watch anything on it anymore because of it. I'll be trying to watch Judge Mathis at lunchtime or something and they have that hideous Everest ad where that guy is telling me what a failure I am. And they often show the same commercial several times in a row! And all the other commercials are from scumbag lawyers telling me all I have to do is slip and fall anywhere and I can totally sue someone's butt off. And the "ask your doctor" pill commercials! Ohhhhh, how close it must be to writhing in brimstone and fire when I see those! And the ads for "diet snacks". There's this one where a lady (of course) is tempted by by some sugary treats but says "No, I'm good" and happily "eats" her cereal bar. Are they implying that if you eat a doughnut, even once in a blue moon, you are "bad" and a failure at life? I try to ignore these and other madness-inducing ads or get up and do something that will only lake a couple of minutes, but usually I'm like, "You know what? Life's too short!" and go to my computer to watch YouTube videos. :lol:

Daneeka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2012, 1:32 pm

This is why I don't watch T.V. and use an ad-blocker on the 'net. I always feel like I want to go postal in their offices.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 2:25 pm

I no longer watch TV and its largely because of adverts. They are little snippits of manipulation, that have been carefully crafted by people with pshycology degrees to tell us what we should be buying. And you are correct, they are also designed to show a particular lifestyle that implies everyone should adhere to or aspire to. If I had children I would not allow them to watch TV until they were about 10 years old, and then I would tell them it is all rubbish and not to take notice of it. Because the vast amount of stuff you see is meant to steer our attitudes and desires in order to be good consumers.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 8:54 am

I dislike most ads and find them obnoxious and annoying especially since the ads are louder the program you are watching. Every once in awhile though an ad will strike me as comical and then I actually like that particular ad and I may not be interested in the product being advertised I just appreciate the humor and/or creativity in the ad.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 10:48 am

The BBC is a commercial free zone. They only advertise their own shows on there. We record everything on our hard disk recorder. If I'm watching anything on a non BBC channels, I start watching 20 mins after it has started and FF through the commercials.