Do you reckon cartoons/anime etc. are the best thing ever?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 2:24 pm

I've watched lots of 'real' films, and only a few are, on the whole, really good movies. But cartoons, even if they have a stupid storyline (which most anime doesn't) is usually really nice to look at, at the very least (unless drawn horribly, which is rare).

Cartoons are the only kind of media that consistently make me feel positive emotions, which 'real' films rarely do (well, the latter obviously contain more realistic emotions, but I suppose, if I wanted those I'd just live real life). Cartoons have, by their nature, much more colour than real life, and that must certainly be an advantage over 'real' movies.

An example of uber-awesome cartoons: http://www.dailymotion.com/Esma-Movie

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 2:38 pm

Cartoons are great-any animation as long as it isn't edited for political correctness is a great art form. Too many cartoons from the past are edited for some reason.

MikaNeko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

I would say anime is better than anything I've watched with "real people" in it. It defiantly makes me feel more than any other type of media I've seen. It also has some great plot-lines and artwork ^_^
With anime being one of my special interest's it really does make it one of the best things ever for me.

Your Aspie score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

日本語をならっています。

grunt200
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2012, 3:23 pm

i hate real people any way, to me anime is more real, somewhat weird but i dont carry about what real people any way

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 4:39 pm

I like the bright colour of cartoons, I can't follow any story, character development, plot, etc of them though. I prefer documentaries but prefer cartoons more than movies, tv drama and such.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 4:39 pm

I've been drawing and creating my own cartoons ever since I was an infant so I would definitely say yes! But more recently I prefer video games that look like cartoons or anime that I can interact with and control.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 7:05 pm

Y.E.S. ! !! !! !! !! !

:D

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Belial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2012, 4:09 pm

It really depends. At their best, cartoons can really stand toe to toe with some of the best live action movies and tv shows, like Batman: The Animated Series and Vision of Escaflowne. I feel the same way about comics and manga too, the best comics really stand out as mediums of art. I have a lot of love for certain cartoon series, like Gargoyles, Adventure Time, Xmen etc. With that said, I don't like every cartoon I see and plenty have underwhelmed me, like Marvel Universe and the Ironman cartoon (the one that aired on Foxkids).

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 5:16 pm

To be honest I think so, but I'm talking about cartoons not anime. The Simpsons, South Park and Family Guy are like my 3 favourite T.V. shows ever while the rest are a mixture of live action and animation but mostly animation. When it comes to movies it's mostly live action but I definately have tons and tons of animated movies on the list. But it has to be certain types of animated movies that are my taste not just any random ones. I like Disney, Pixar (my favourite) and even Dreamworks. Also I think some of the women of animations are just as hot as the women in real life, sorry for sounding sexist. I'm not talking about characters like Minnie Mouse or daisy Duck of course. I'm talking about the more human characters like Jessica Rabbit from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, April O' Neil from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and maybe some of but not all of the various Disney Princesses. Again sorry for sounding sexist it's just a little fun.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:50 am

Nope, not a chance.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:57 pm

While I do enjoy several popular cartoons (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Adventure Time and Regular Show), they don't even come close to my obsession with certain live-action movies. Seeing real-life actors portray characters causes me to connect with them on a deeper emotional level than animation can provide. But if you had asked me this question while I was a child or teenager, I would have given a much different answer, as back then I was completely obsessed with anime and wanted nothing to do with live-action movies.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

22 Aug 2012, 9:16 pm

Yes, yes, and yes. But I must say, this is not to knock any live action shows; don't get me wrong, they're both excellent.