Page 4 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 8:29 am

The best book is the Order of the Phoenix simply because it shows Harry up and takes him down a couple of much-needed notches. What he did to Cho was simply assholish. First he tries to seduce her while she's grieving over her previous boyfriend. Then he dumps her because she's a bit too needy! He's going to have a hell of a time finding a woman.
He's arrogant and full of himself, simply because his parents' protection saved his little butt a bunch of times. If anyone can take down Voldemort, its Hermione, and not Harry. She's a much better witch than Harry is a wizard. Harry only ever faced shadows and underlings, when he met with the real thing, even still under his parents' protection, he was brushed away like an insect.
Sometime, Voldemort is going to dispel Harry's protection, and then who'll have to save his butt? Dumbledore and Hermione. If you've ever read Ender's Game, that is the role Hermione is playing, the reason for her accelerated learning curve, also why the teachers encourage her to learn so much. Why else give her the power to move through time in the third book? Way too much power to give a girl just to help her learn more, even Hermione, without there being an ulterior motive.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 11:40 am

Cho was the one who kissed Harry when she was still crying over Cedric. I can't believe she tried dating Harry when she was acting like a human hose. Harry wasn't the one who started it Cho was. Or I'm reading it wrong.

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 2:29 pm

danlo wrote:
The best book is the Order of the Phoenix simply because it shows Harry up and takes him down a couple of much-needed notches. What he did to Cho was simply assholish. First he tries to seduce her while she's grieving over her previous boyfriend. Then he dumps her because she's a bit too needy! He's going to have a hell of a time finding a woman.
He's arrogant and full of himself, simply because his parents' protection saved his little butt a bunch of times. If anyone can take down Voldemort, its Hermione, and not Harry. She's a much better witch than Harry is a wizard. Harry only ever faced shadows and underlings, when he met with the real thing, even still under his parents' protection, he was brushed away like an insect.
Sometime, Voldemort is going to dispel Harry's protection, and then who'll have to save his butt? Dumbledore and Hermione. If you've ever read Ender's Game, that is the role Hermione is playing, the reason for her accelerated learning curve, also why the teachers encourage her to learn so much. Why else give her the power to move through time in the third book? Way too much power to give a girl just to help her learn more, even Hermione, without there being an ulterior motive.

OY! Don't you diss Harry Potter, when you dont even know what's going on! Read the books, %#@^ it!

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 3:04 pm

Hey, danlo, sorry about the explosion. I just get highly affronted when people start talking @%#@ about Harry Potter when the havent read the books as well as i have.

Firstly, about Harry, he never tried to seduce Cho. Cho actually went and kissed him after the Christmas DA meeting. Secondly, Harry never dumped Cho, but got dumped by her after mistakenly telling her about his meeting with Hermione, which sparked off the whole fiasco. Cedric got dragged into the row because Cho was trying to make him jealous, as Hermione explained later that day. She finally lost it when Harry started laughing (Possibly a result of the mind link between him and Voldemort).

Thirdly, even though Hermione is better at spellcasting than Harry, she cannot defeat Voldemort. Why? Because of the prophecy. Need i remind you?

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...
-Trelwney's Prophecy, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and Neville Longbottom were both born on July 31st (end of seventh month of the year after the prophecy). Both Lily & James Potter and Frank & Alice Longbottom had both narrowly escaped Voldemort three times. This meant the prophecy, at the time, could go for either of them. But Voldemort gave Harry his scar and a portion of his powers, as well as establishing their mind link, when he tried to kill him, thus
establishing Harry as his equal. So only Harry can destroy Voldemort for good, even if he is not as intelligent as his peers. And remember, intelligence is not the same as magical power. Remember the Patronus? Hermione said in PoA that only "a really powerful wizard could conjure a Patronus." Harry mastered it in third year. Hermione first managed to cast it in fith year, during the last DA meeting, when she suceeded in creating an otter Patronus, and that was fifty miles away from any dementor. I rest my case.

Archmage

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

ruminate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2005, 7:55 am

My opinion, the American Cover is visually more passive while the British Cover is visually more active. I'd say that there is a tenative sense to the American Cover art, that doesn't emphasize a sense of Dumbledore and Harry being actively ingagued in danger. While the British Cover art gives a sense of something dire is happening, danger is present and they must take action.

I like both covers for different reasons, but I like the stronger looking Dumbledore in the British Cover art because he looks like he has power and could kick butt. Harry looks a little more age appropriate in the British Cover art while he still looks a little younger in the American Cover art.

Beyond all this I can't wait until the book is released, they are never released soon enough for me and I need to get the next in the collection like yesterday!

MC

ruminate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2005, 8:02 am

Archmage wrote:
Hey, danlo, sorry about the explosion. I just get highly affronted when people start talking @%#@ about Harry Potter when the havent read the books as well as i have.

Firstly, about Harry, he never tried to seduce Cho. Cho actually went and kissed him after the Christmas DA meeting. Secondly, Harry never dumped Cho, but got dumped by her after mistakenly telling her about his meeting with Hermione, which sparked off the whole fiasco. Cedric got dragged into the row because Cho was trying to make him jealous, as Hermione explained later that day. She finally lost it when Harry started laughing (Possibly a result of the mind link between him and Voldemort).

Thirdly, even though Hermione is better at spellcasting than Harry, she cannot defeat Voldemort. Why? Because of the prophecy. Need i remind you?

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...

Harry Potter and Neville Longbottom were both born on July 31st (end of seventh month of the year after the prophecy). Both Lily & James Potter and Frank & Alice Longbottom had both narrowly escaped Voldemort three times. This meant the prophecy, at the time, could go for either of them. But Voldemort gave Harry his scar and a portion of his powers, as well as establishing their mind link, when he tried to kill him, thus
establishing Harry as his equal. So only Harry can destroy Voldemort for good, even if he is not as intelligent as his peers. And remember, intelligence is not the same as magical power. Remember the Patronus? Hermione said in PoA that only "a really powerful wizard could conjure a Patronus." Harry mastered it in third year. Hermione first managed to cast it in fith year, during the last DA meeting, when she suceeded in creating an otter Patronus, and that was fifty miles away from any dementor. I rest my case.

Archmage

And a well worded case it is! You have your facts correct so I agree with you on your points which were so well stated. In fact Cho kind of bothered me because she was vascilating so much of the time.

How do you feel when you think about Umbridge? My daughter and I call her Umb*tch hehe!

ruminate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2005, 8:19 am

And also let me say in my opinion Cho is a preppy girl who clung to the popular jock and had no interest in Harry until Cedric died. She then chose Harry because he was popular as a Quiditch player and it made her look good to be with him but if there had been someone more popular she would have likely gravitated toward them.

While Hermione was typical AS/geek. Early on in the series Hermione has difficulty communicating with small talk and rejected by most of her peer group because she is highly opinionated and bluntly tells Ron he's doing the spell wrong, not meaning to dis him but to inform him of the correct way the spell should be spoken.

Now as far as seduction goes it is not likely that Harry could seduce anyone because he doesn't have the qualities it would take, while on the other hand Malfoy is highly capable and likely of seduction. Anyway, that's what I think.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 9:39 am

Ok, so I'm dead wrong about Harry's love life, cause I'm not a Harry fanatic. Doesn't change the fact that he is an arrogant little s**t, who thinks he's hot stuff.
Secondly, prophecies aren't failsafe. They're not correct 100% of the time. Don't you think mentioning such a prophecy in the fifth book would be a dead give away to what must eventually happen? If its wrong, which I think it will be, then all it does is to add to the suspense. Creating such expectations, to have them proven false in the 6th book? Killer writing!

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 12:26 pm

Ladies, Ladies, and Laddies also :P Scottish Steriotyped accent to understand that please........

STOP ARGUEING OVER A FICTIONAL CHARICTER :P
Just agree to disagree ok.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 2:10 pm

HEY! You make him sound like Malfoy! :evil:

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 2:26 pm

ruminate wrote:
Archmage wrote:

Archmage

And a well worded case it is! You have your facts correct so I agree with you on your points which were so well stated. In fact Cho kind of bothered me because she was vascilating so much of the time.

How do you feel when you think about Umbridge? My daughter and I call her Umb*tch hehe!

If it were any other character, i would critizise you for condoning such language from your daughter, but in this instance, the both of you have a point. :lol:

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 2:32 pm

ruminate wrote:
And also let me say in my opinion Cho is a preppy girl who clung to the popular jock and had no interest in Harry until Cedric died. She then chose Harry because he was popular as a Quiditch player and it made her look good to be with him but if there had been someone more popular she would have likely gravitated toward them.

While Hermione was typical AS/geek. Early on in the series Hermione has difficulty communicating with small talk and rejected by most of her peer group because she is highly opinionated and bluntly tells Ron he's doing the spell wrong, not meaning to dis him but to inform him of the correct way the spell should be spoken.

Now as far as seduction goes it is not likely that Harry could seduce anyone because he doesn't have the qualities it would take, while on the other hand Malfoy is highly capable and likely of seduction. Anyway, that's what I think.

I never thought about Hermione that way, but i don't think she has AS. After all, wasn't it Hermione who was giving Harry advice on girls after the Madam Puddifoot's catastrophe?

But that was in OotP, so you might have a case. After all...

"It's leviosa, not leviosa"... :lol:

Maybe we should ask Rowling?

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 2:39 pm

danlo wrote:
Ok, so I'm dead wrong about Harry's love life, cause I'm not a Harry fanatic. Doesn't change the fact that he is an arrogant little sh**, who thinks he's hot stuff.
Secondly, prophecies aren't failsafe. They're not correct 100% of the time. Don't you think mentioning such a prophecy in the fifth book would be a dead give away to what must eventually happen? If its wrong, which I think it will be, then all it does is to add to the suspense. Creating such expectations, to have them proven false in the 6th book? Killer writing!

I accept your admittance of misreading the facts, but i still disagree with your view. I will accept to "agree to disagree" however. I don't like your take on Harry Potter, and i think you've been concentrating on the works of Rita Skeeter when judging his personality. But i will lay off the arguement and allow you to post your views without fear of personal attack, as long as you do the same. Good day.

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 2:44 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
HEY! You make him sound like Malfoy! :evil:

Who is making whom sound like (Ace-in-the-hole - in-the - c - e) + s + s (AKA Malfoy)?

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 2:45 pm

Sorry about the repeated posts, I haven't mastered the multple quotes technique.

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 4:10 pm

Danlo.