Who are your most sympathetic villains?

Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 12:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I vote for Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader of Star Wars, and Roy Batty of Blade Runner.

Any others?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

But Anakin murders children. What's sympathetic about that? He was a total lunatic.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 6:01 pm

I assume you mean who we belt bad or sorry for.

I felt sorry for that villain on Meets the Robinsons. The bad guy missed the fly ball due to lack of sleep and he didn't get adopted because of it. So he spends the rest of his childhood at the orphanage and then it shuts down and he is left there. He then meets the hat and he turns bad because of it but it was never his intent for the world to go wrong because the hat betrayed him. He does change at the end and becomes a good guy and he does catch that fly ball and gets adopted. He missed sleep because the kid kept him up all night with his project so he held a grudge against him all those years and even savatoged (sp) his project to get back at him and ruin his life.

I also felt sorry for that penguin guy from Batman Returns. His parents dumping him in the river because he was deformed so he was raised by penguins.

Even though Cruella De Vil is bad but I felt sorry for her in the TV series because she grew up with no parents. They were always away so she was left with nannies and she always wanted a dog but never got one so she grew up hating dogs and being obsessed with spots. They were never around on the holidays either. It was explained in one of the episodes. I also felt sorry for her in the second movie because Big Ben ruined her treatment so she was back to Cruella De Vil and the rest of her money went to the dogs because she went back to her old ways. It wasn't like it was her fault. But perhaps she should have checked herself back in demanding treatment again because the old her was back.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Utnapishtim
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2012, 7:08 pm

Karla (played by Patrick Stewart) in the TV adaptations of John le Carré's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 11:53 am

Anakin Skywalker
Eric Lehnsherr (Magneto)
Doc Ock

All are comic book characters (Anakin is sorta) :-))) That´s funny.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 9:08 pm

I have little sympathy for Anakin for not only killing children, but so quickly agreeing to do so.

I do, however, have a great deal of sympathy for him for being so poorly written. I feel for every star wars character in that regard.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 5:12 pm

Loki, from the Marvel movie universe.

It helps that he is insanely beautiful. :)

ikol
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2012, 2:59 am

I agree with a lot of the ones here (though Loki in particular makes me skeptical considering he's pretty awful in my opinion...though in the movies his actor portrayed him a lot "softer" than his comic persona I guess :/)

Frankenstein's monster
Draco Malfoy
Sweeney Todd

And I think this one is questionable depending on your definition of a "villain", but Dexter Morgan also.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 6:04 pm

Eleas wrote:
I'm not entirely a fan of the series, but Once Upon A Time does have its share of sympathetic villains. Both Regina and Mr Gold have (very believable) reasons for why they do what they do.

Overall, I disliked Regina and sometimes even felt like slapping her. But then there was an episode where you saw her mother was mean to her and killed the man she was in love with, kich kind of made me feel a bit sorry for her - maybe if that hadn't happened, she would have turned out nice.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 2:48 pm

most sympathetic villains:

Pain/Nagato from Naruto
Tai Lung from Kung Fu Panda

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 9:41 am

Mr. Glass from the movie Unbreakable.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 6:52 am

jagatai wrote:
Norma Desmond in "Sunset Blvd." She definitely has some real issues, but you can understand a lot of why she desperately clings to her faded stardom.

Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" He becomes a pretty awful person as the film progresses, but it is very interesting seeing how he gets there.

Captain Queeg (Again Humphrey Bogart) in "The Cain Mutiny" At first he seems like the villain, but ultimately as flawed as he is, it is Keefer (Fred McMurray) who turns out to be the true villain. But even he is understandable even if totally dislikeable.

I have to agree with you on Captain Queeg. When Greenwald gave his speech to the other officers at the end of the movie, I realized he was right.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 1:31 am

Dr. Marlowe in Voodoo Man. Boris Karloff was famous for playing sympathetic villains.

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2013, 2:52 am

Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker pops to my mind

Does the T-800 from T2 count as well ? He's originally meant to kill people but he was reprogrammed to be good.

Harry Maybourne from Stargate SG-1 is another one

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2013, 3:22 am

1. Harvey Dent / Two Face, especially in TDK. The price he paid for refusing to bend was breaking. Besides, I can completely relate to a black/white way of looking at the world ...

2. Magneto. I don't agree with what he did, but I can understand why he did it, yes.

3. Kaiser Soze :)

4. Cato in the Hunger Games. He was brutal and terrible but his last words really said a lot about the world that made him what he was.

5. The Operative - Serenity. How badass was he? I loved him. He really believed what he was doing was right.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2013, 5:13 pm

Mr. Freeze (TAS): Dedicated Husband
Adrian Veidt, Khan Noonien Singh: They wanted to bring order to the world, also Khan went nuts after his wife died.
Magneto: Survived one holocaust, trying to stop another.

In general, I admire intelligent villains, also I want Khan's intellect/strength, Adrian Veidt's accent and Magneto's powers/abilities.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm

The Cylons
Godzilla
Walter White
Frankenstein
Dragons