What is it about the Village People that make them look gay?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 12:09 pm

They do look gay. I've heard this said before, and I saw the YMCA video yesterday -- and I agree. I don't have anything against gay/lesbian/bisexuality. I struck me as funny when I first saw the video.

My mom said she liked the video. funny.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 12:49 pm

Hmmm... I think it's related to their outfits and that these have a particular meaning to parts of the gay community in that particular place and even the name "Village People", as in Greenwich Village, a part of Manhattan that, including Chelsea to its north that is known for its gay population (the Village before was also known for bohemians and artists). Also the people who set up the thing were gay also, though not all the members. The songs also play to these gay stereotypes...

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 2:16 pm

Maybe because the Village People are gay?

Interestingly enough, I found out yesterday that Shaun T, the guy who does the Insanity workout program, is gay.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 3:05 pm

MacDragard wrote:

Interestingly enough, I found out yesterday that Shaun T, the guy who does the Insanity workout program, is gay.

Are The Village People really gay? Because of the way their faces look and how they move around they do look gay to me.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 3:16 pm

Frieslander wrote:
MacDragard wrote:

Are The Village People really gay? Because of the way their faces look and how they move around they do look gay to me.

I don't think any group of straight guys would ever write a song called "In The Navy" and prance around in seamen outfits.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2012, 8:33 pm

Tight clothes, showing skin as men, using clothing that's associated with the gay community (at least back in the 70s), sexual gestures, etc. Just google "gaydar" and you'll find out more than you'd ever care to know.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 4:12 pm

Victor Willis (the Cop) is and Glenn Hughes (the Biker) was straight.

EJDoyle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2012, 12:28 am

Frieslander wrote:
MacDragard wrote:

Yeah- their whole beginning and most of their schtick was as a gay disco band. That's... a pretty central part of the Village People story.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 10:46 am

It's because of the Village People that I'm somewhat paranoid when going to the YMCA. That, and Sandusky.