Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 12:31 am

I haven't seen The Clone Wars series, but she is Anakin's apprentice right? Right from the start of the show I knew she has to die simply because that kind of failure adds more to his fall to the dark side. Having her live would make little sense to me. Ideally I think it should be Palpatine that kills her, knowing what effect it would have on Anakin, to also reinforce the fact that he manipulated the entire series. In many ways, the Prequel trilogy is really Palpatine's story.

Grand_pilot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 4:41 pm

Ashoka dosen't necessarily have to be truly dead, let's say some time before episode 3 she is believed to be dead and by episode 3 Anakin and Obi wan have moved on. Now say Ashoka is alive somewhere somehow and lives in seclusion therefore surviving order 66. Her living through the order could have an impact in the future in some ways:

-She could tell Luke and Leia about her parents
-She could be vital to helping Luke rebuild the Jedi order and train new Jedi
-She could replace Yoda is the closest thing to a living mentor to Luke

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 5:33 pm

Problem is there is so much story already in the extended universe that her being alive beyond the end of the show, she should have showed up somewhere. We've already read about Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order, she wasn't involved. This is always an issue any time you tell a story that isn't in chronological order by release, and has many different writers contributing to it over the years.

Thats going to be the biggest problem the new movies will have. Since they said they aren't directly adapting any of the books or comics, if it involves original characters it has to fit in between them somehow. Somehow they need to maintain the epic feel of the previous films with a story about some significant events in the Star Wars universe, without really changing anything drastically that would have affected events that take place afterwards(which have already been written), while also avoiding any direct contradictions of the extended universe.

Unless they go the route of completely ignoring the EU and basically cannibalizing that entire sector of merchandise by pissing off the fans and they stop buying any of it.

Grand_pilot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 6:40 pm

They already announced that the movies are going to be "completely original", meaning they're most likely going to reset the canon.

The EU is simply going to be placed as an alternate universe, or at least that's what i predict is going to happen.

Philosoraptor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2013, 6:48 pm

Grand_pilot wrote:
They already announced that the movies are going to be "completely original", meaning they're most likely going to reset the canon.

The EU is simply going to be placed as an alternate universe, or at least that's what i predict is going to happen.

As long as Abrams doesn't use time travel as a device to pull it off again, I'll be content with that. Last thing we need is time travel in Star Wars. :roll:

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 8:44 pm

Philosoraptor wrote:
Grand_pilot wrote:

As long as Abrams doesn't use time travel as a device to pull it off again, I'll be content with that. Last thing we need is time travel in Star Wars. :roll:

Yeah, it worked in Star Trek, and I thought it was an elegant way to reboot the series that fit in with the series as a whole since time travel has been used before. But in Star Wars? There is no precedent for it. Unlike a lot of other sci-fi franchises, I can't think of a single Star Wars story that involved time travel.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 9:25 pm

eelektrik wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:
Grand_pilot wrote:

Yeah, it worked in Star Trek, and I thought it was an elegant way to reboot the series that fit in with the series as a whole since time travel has been used before. But in Star Wars? There is no precedent for it. Unlike a lot of other sci-fi franchises, I can't think of a single Star Wars story that involved time travel.

Creating an alternate time line for the Star Wars universe by time travel would only serve to make the Star Wars franchise a laughing stock, I fear.
Beside, what could we expect - Kenobi having been seduced by the dark side, and turned into Darth Vader?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 10:55 pm

You know, in an entire galaxy, there's room for lots of completely original stories without changing any existing ones. Tattooine, Naboo, and Coruscant are not the entirety of the Republic, the Empire, or the Alliance. And there are lots of folks not named Skywalker or Solo who do things, I'm sure.

Grand_pilot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2013, 8:24 pm

I don't think its going to involve time travel. What i meant with alternate timeline was that, the expanded universe timeline as the the universe we currently know will be reset into something like this:

-Expanded universe timeline (Timeline A): Episode 1-6-Thrawn trilogy-Dark empire-New Jedi order-Legacy
-"New cannon timeline" (Timeline B): Episode 1-6-Episode 7-9- (to be continued?)

There may be some elements or characters from Timeline A that will be incorporated into timeline B. (Ex. Mara Jade, the Solo kids, Darth Krayt to name a few). Or they might add new or previously established characters (we know from the Dark Horse comics that Asaj Ventress is still alive after the clone wars although everyone Obi-Wan included, believes her dead.)

Grand_pilot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2013, 8:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
eelektrik wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:
Grand_pilot wrote:

Creating an alternate time line for the Star Wars universe by time travel would only serve to make the Star Wars franchise a laughing stock, I fear.
Beside, what could we expect - Kenobi having been seduced by the dark side, and turned into Darth Vader?

Funny you should mention Obi Wan being seduced by the dark side. Season 5 Episode 16 of the Clone Wars (which aired recently), established that no matter how hard things were Obi Wan will never be seduced to the dark side and here's why:

*warning the fallowing contains spoilers for season 5 of Star wars the Clone wars, you have been warned!*

Darth Maul having been brought back in season 4 is obsessed with getting his revenge on Obi Wan, he teamed-up with Death watch, a group of Mandalorian radicals dedicated to eliminating Duchess Satine, a pacifist ruler of planet Mandalore and restoring their people to their old warlike ways of guts and glory (It should be noted that Obi Wan and Satine had a romantic interest in the past.) With the help of Darth Maul and his "brother" Savage Opress, Death watch were able to imprison Satine and use her as bait to lure Obi Wan to rescue her. Captured, Maul attempts to sway Obi Wan to the dark side:

Darth Maul:"Your noble flaw is a weakness shared by you, and your Duchess *force Chokes Satine* you should have chosen the dark side master Jedi. Your emotions betray you! Your fear...and yes! Your anger, Let your Anger deepen your hatred!"

Satine: "*Gasping for breath* Don't listen to him Obi!"

Savage: "Quiet!"

Obi Wan: "It takes strength to resist the dark side,only the weak embrace it!"

Darth Maul: "It is more powerful then you know."

Obi Wan: "And those who oppose it are more powerful then you'll ever be!"

This episode had excellent writing and proved that Obi Wan could never be swayed to join the dark side.I'm not going to spoil what happened next, because i believe that the Darth Maul story arc of Star Wars the Clone wars is reason enough to watch the show.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 10:37 pm

Grand_pilot wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
eelektrik wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:
Grand_pilot wrote:

Funny you should mention Obi Wan being seduced by the dark side. Season 5 Episode 16 of the Clone Wars (which aired recently), established that no matter how hard things were Obi Wan will never be seduced to the dark side and here's why:

*warning the fallowing contains spoilers for season 5 of Star wars the Clone wars, you have been warned!*

Darth Maul having been brought back in season 4 is obsessed with getting his revenge on Obi Wan, he teamed-up with Death watch, a group of Mandalorian radicals dedicated to eliminating Duchess Satine, a pacifist ruler of planet Mandalore and restoring their people to their old warlike ways of guts and glory (It should be noted that Obi Wan and Satine had a romantic interest in the past.) With the help of Darth Maul and his "brother" Savage Opress, Death watch were able to imprison Satine and use her as bait to lure Obi Wan to rescue her. Captured, Maul attempts to sway Obi Wan to the dark side:

Darth Maul:"Your noble flaw is a weakness shared by you, and your Duchess *force Chokes Satine* you should have chosen the dark side master Jedi. Your emotions betray you! Your fear...and yes! Your anger, Let your Anger deepen your hatred!"

Satine: "*Gasping for breath* Don't listen to him Obi!"

Savage: "Quiet!"

Obi Wan: "It takes strength to resist the dark side,only the weak embrace it!"

Darth Maul: "It is more powerful then you know."

Obi Wan: "And those who oppose it are more powerful then you'll ever be!"

This episode had excellent writing and proved that Obi Wan could never be swayed to join the dark side.I'm not going to spoil what happened next, because i believe that the Darth Maul story arc of Star Wars the Clone wars is reason enough to watch the show.

But will the makers of a new trilogy abide by the canon of The Clone Wars cartoon?

Grand_pilot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2013, 11:53 pm

I don't know if this means anything but...

Originally season 5 was rumored to be the last season (or one of the final seasons) of Star Wars the clone wars.However, when the new trilogy was announced Dave Filoni, the show's director announced that they'll keep the show going for as long as possible.

And yes, The clone wars is in canon with the films. Read all about it here: http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/67 ... eason-five.

Therefore, i have reason to believe The clone wars might contribute to the future continuity of events.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 1:28 am

I am very optimistic about the future of Star Wars movies. The writers pretty much have a blank slate, and they are professionals at coming up with simple, compelling stories. No more trade blockades and political conspiracies!

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2013, 6:00 am

Declension wrote:
I am very optimistic about the future of Star Wars movies. The writers pretty much have a blank slate, and they are professionals at coming up with simple, compelling stories. No more trade blockades and political conspiracies!

It's still Disney, so there might be some pointless characters to promote merchandising, but Abrams knows what he's doing. I grew up loving old-school Star Trek, but his reboot actually blows most of the original stuff away.
And it's not like the originals trilogy worked because of great acting and smart writing. Star Wars was never meant to be more complex than something children imagine on a playground. It's the overall style and atmosphere that made these movies timeless.
The story was corny as hell, but just watching Vader and his troops for the first time makes everyone go "Look at these space-nazis".
It's genius. So if the writers don't manage to screw up the dialogue like Lucas did with the new movies, I think the reboot can be pretty great.

Grand_pilot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm

People are quick to point the finger at Disney, yet they forget the same company produced the Avengers.

Remember when Disney bought Marvel? The people that thought this was the apocalypse of superheroes sound pretty silly today don't they?

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm

Declension wrote:

You mean things that were integral to the entire plot of the prequel trilogy? I really do not understand why people complain about the political scenes and story, not everything has to be all action all the time, and those scenes were necessary for the story to set up the action. They also further flesh out Palpatine as the cunning villain that he is.