Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 11:02 am

Well, I managed to survive yet another season of horrific TV Ads during the holidays, but then again I watched little TV anyway due to the fact they were mostly showing stupid movies, most of them one or two stars, over and over constantly. But there have been plenty of ads that just made my flesh absolutely crawl this past year and I've decided to put together a list of the ones I hated the most (of course there's not enough space in the world to list every single ad I've hated at all). So, let us begin...if we can.

-Any ad for the ASPCA: I live in Canada where the local animal shelter is just called the SPCA, which I think is better because it's shorter and not as many a's. The name of our country has enough a's, eh? :lol: Seriously though, seeing all those graphic images of poor, horribly mangled animals (though many of them may have gotten into fights or accidents and not just abused by their owners) is disturbing, but I'm sorry to say it isn't enough for me to give donations to an AMERICAN pet society, which i probably can't do anyway. (I do occasionally make donations to our local SPCA, and our ads are nowhere near as terrible). And the music they always play is cringeworthy. The last ad I had the misfortune to see played that very nauseating and overused "You Are So Beautiful" song. I had to turn off my TV until that nightmare ended...

-The snot-filled "pre-cold" monster. (I can't remember the name of the medicine, all I remember is being disgusted and horrified).

- That flu-shot PSA where the mother's kids and her husband have boarded up the room she's in and huddling in absolute fear like idiots.

- The ads on TLC about the second season of Honey Boo Boo which I had to see every time the Untold Stories from the ER (the only show on TLC I actually like, although Cake Boss was cool for a while too) marathon, went to commercial. It made me wish the Mayans were right about their calender! :pale:

-That allergy med ad where a lady sneezes in a theater and she sounds like a kitten going "mew", and then everyone stares at her as if they're like "OMG she's got swine flu and infected we'll all be dead in 48 hours!! !" I sneeze all the time even when I'm perfectly healthy and I don't mind it when other people do. Coughing, on the other hand...

-Speaking of which there's that ad for Halls (I think) where a guy comes to work with a cough and his "friends" make him sit at the far end of the table so he doesn't give them bubonic plague. I can't stand hearing people cough but still that was pretty nasty of them. He might not have even been still contagious (if he was he shouldn't have come to work anyway).

-That brat who is holding his stereotypical dimwit dad's Kraft Dinner "hostage" and won't let him have it unless he lets him watch a PG-13 movie (actually it sounds more like an R movie judging from the sounds coming from the TV). Nice message, Kraft give in to your kid's demands because they're the boss and not you). If it were my kid he'd be lucky if any food I gave him afterwards wasn't soaked in cod liver oil. :twisted:

-The Honey Nut Cheerios ad that uses SEX to sell their normally family-friendly and good-tasting cereal by showing a woman laying in a seductive pose on her bed in her bathrobe and slowly licking the spoon (ugh), and then saying it only tastes "bad" for you, and then the bee talks like Chef from South Park...

-The Charmin Bears...well first of all, you know this was all inspired by that question about what bears "do" in the woods, and the early commercials actually had the bears in the woods, but recently they've had ads about skid marks on underwear!! ! :eew: And they don't even wear pants, let alone underwear! The weird thing is that they get away with this stuff because they're "cute" cartoon animals. If they did this kind of stuff with real people in a TP commercial it would have been off the air ages ago!

-The nauseatingly "patriotic" ads for Kraft "American" cheese slices. Oh, we're so great we named a processed cheese-like slice after ourselves that we can put on our hamburgers (which originally are from Germany).

Well that's about it. For now anyway...if there are any ads from 2012 you've absolutely hated, feel free to post them. :)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

There were a whole bunch of Mormon ads all over the place for me this year. :eew:

No thanks, I'm not religious...

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Well, I managed to survive yet another season of horrific TV Ads during the holidays, but then again I watched little TV anyway due to the fact they were mostly showing stupid movies, most of them one or two stars, over and over constantly. But there have been plenty of ads that just made my flesh absolutely crawl this past year and I've decided to put together a list of the ones I hated the most (of course there's not enough space in the world to list every single ad I've hated at all). So, let us begin...if we can.

-Any ad for the ASPCA: I live in Canada where the local animal shelter is just called the SPCA, which I think is better because it's shorter and not as many a's. The name of our country has enough a's, eh? :lol: Seriously though, seeing all those graphic images of poor, horribly mangled animals (though many of them may have gotten into fights or accidents and not just abused by their owners) is disturbing, but I'm sorry to say it isn't enough for me to give donations to an AMERICAN pet society, which i probably can't do anyway. (I do occasionally make donations to our local SPCA, and our ads are nowhere near as terrible). And the music they always play is cringeworthy. The last ad I had the misfortune to see played that very nauseating and overused "You Are So Beautiful" song. I had to turn off my TV until that nightmare ended...

-The snot-filled "pre-cold" monster. (I can't remember the name of the medicine, all I remember is being disgusted and horrified).

- That flu-shot PSA where the mother's kids and her husband have boarded up the room she's in and huddling in absolute fear like idiots.

- The ads on TLC about the second season of Honey Boo Boo which I had to see every time the Untold Stories from the ER (the only show on TLC I actually like, although Cake Boss was cool for a while too) marathon, went to commercial. It made me wish the Mayans were right about their calender! :pale:

-That allergy med ad where a lady sneezes in a theater and she sounds like a kitten going "mew", and then everyone stares at her as if they're like "OMG she's got swine flu and infected we'll all be dead in 48 hours!! !" I sneeze all the time even when I'm perfectly healthy and I don't mind it when other people do. Coughing, on the other hand...

-Speaking of which there's that ad for Halls (I think) where a guy comes to work with a cough and his "friends" make him sit at the far end of the table so he doesn't give them bubonic plague. I can't stand hearing people cough but still that was pretty nasty of them. He might not have even been still contagious (if he was he shouldn't have come to work anyway).

-That brat who is holding his stereotypical dimwit dad's Kraft Dinner "hostage" and won't let him have it unless he lets him watch a PG-13 movie (actually it sounds more like an R movie judging from the sounds coming from the TV). Nice message, Kraft give in to your kid's demands because they're the boss and not you). If it were my kid he'd be lucky if any food I gave him afterwards wasn't soaked in cod liver oil. :twisted:

-The Honey Nut Cheerios ad that uses SEX to sell their normally family-friendly and good-tasting cereal by showing a woman laying in a seductive pose on her bed in her bathrobe and slowly licking the spoon (ugh), and then saying it only tastes "bad" for you, and then the bee talks like Chef from South Park...

-The Charmin Bears...well first of all, you know this was all inspired by that question about what bears "do" in the woods, and the early commercials actually had the bears in the woods, but recently they've had ads about skid marks on underwear!! ! :eew: And they don't even wear pants, let alone underwear! The weird thing is that they get away with this stuff because they're "cute" cartoon animals. If they did this kind of stuff with real people in a TP commercial it would have been off the air ages ago!

-The nauseatingly "patriotic" ads for Kraft "American" cheese slices. Oh, we're so great we named a processed cheese-like slice after ourselves that we can put on our hamburgers (which originally are from Germany).

Well that's about it. For now anyway...if there are any ads from 2012 you've absolutely hated, feel free to post them. :)
I try not to pay attention but the patritotic craft ads soudn annoying and I am an American.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

02 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

Those stupid political ads. UGH. *vomit*

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2013, 11:38 am

Is the question about worst TV adverts on Canadian TV, or are you do you mean globally?

Here in the Netherlands I think 2012 worst rated advert was from a home delivery company for fashion shoes/clothes, they came up with an advert called "Zalando Virus" ( you can watch it on youtube if you really are bored, it's in English).

On the other side of the coin, my favourites are still the Heineken Walk-in Fridge , they still make me laugh.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 2:38 pm

That ad with the snot monster is full of BS anyways. Just because you sneeze once does not mean you have a 'pre-cold' or that you will get a cold. Some people just sneeze. They are trying to scare people into overly medicating themselves and selling their useless product.

I personally hated the Black Friday and holiday ads for Target and K-Mart this year. They were just incredibly dumb. Particularly the k-mart one that just had someones face in slow-motion and used some 'song', I use the term loosely, that just keeps repeating 'The lights the lights the light' over and over and over. Who the hell think that makes people want to shop there?

The vast majority of people in marketing are liars and idiots. Very rarely you get a commercial that is genuinely informative or at least mildly amusing. Very rarely.

Parasol
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 2:54 pm

- Those proposal and election ads in the US channels. I was basically yelling at the TV saying things like how stupid they were and more.

- Those debt and filing for meds because WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU TAKE MEDS WHILE PREGNANT IS BEYOND ME ads. I was yelling at the TV again.

- The snot monster ad. Thanks for making me feel worse because I sneeze often.

Almighty_CRJ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

One thing I didn't like was the Christmas ad for Go Compare in the UK.

The theme was punishing the annoying singer. All well & good but tying him up & forcing him to do aerobics by puppetry really spoiled the seasonal advertising campaign for me.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 6:13 am

Annoying adverts on australian TV:

The Tom Waterhouse commercials(bookmaker) are very annoying.
"I was born to bet because I was born a Waterhouse" (he happens to be the son of Gai Waterhouse who is a famous horse trainer in australia)
"I don't know how they (insert appropriate sporting action here).
His ads are on multiple times a day sometimes. They are in newspapers as well. When the tv ads are on 5 or more times during the same sporting match, I feel like punching him.

Has an advert ever made you want to punch the person in it?

political advertising: hate those ads so much.

that PSA on pool safety with that kid lecturing the parents on how to keep children safe near water. very condescending

Last edited by tweety_fan on 08 Jan 2013, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DiscardedWhisper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2013, 6:16 am

8 words: I'm Barack Obama, and I approve this message.

4 more words, repeated ad nauseaum.

PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM PC MATIC DOT COM... You get the idea.

I really miss protect your chicken from Dokken...

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2013, 9:23 pm

the Fosters Lager adverts, they objectify women and promote the idea that it's ok for men to behave like jerks & ignore their partners because y'know boys will be boys! :( Also the Fairy liquid ads because they never show any men using the product, implying that washing dishes is an exclusively female job, which it definitely isn't! there's so much subliminal sexism in adverts!

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm

I always enjoy the part in Big Pharma adds where they talk about the side effects. It always make me wonder why anyone would want to take those drugs because the side effects are generally worse then what they are allegedly curing.

CrystalNephtyse
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2013, 1:39 am

I HATE! Absolutely HATE! The Betty Crocker Fruit roll up commercial, where that annoying little brat goes, "Hey mom can I have a treat, PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!" So annoying, and the worst thing about it is that little s**t got his way.

CrystalNephtyse

15 Jul 2013, 1:40 am

I HATE! Absolutely HATE! The Betty Crocker Fruit roll up commercial, where that annoying little brat goes, "Hey mom can I have a treat, PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!" So annoying, and the worst thing about it is that little s**t got his way.