Endings that fall apart under scrutiny.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 9:10 pm

Mine would have to be Juno.

So Juno's baby is adopted by Vanessa, and Juno and Bleeker consummate their love. Seem happy right? Well, let's think about the little guy, in this case, the sea-monkey. Vanessa is now a single mother after a divorce she may still be reeling from, she's unsure about her motherhood capabilities, and she has a high-paying job. Bad signs for the sea-monkey. Where do we begin?

-If Vanessa has a high-paying job that keeps her occupied a lot, who's going to take care of the kid?
-Given the fact our economy is presently in the toilet, what will prevent Vanessa from say, losing her job or having lots of stress?
-There exists a psychological disorder among adoptive parents called Post-Adoption Depression. Look it up. If she does have Post-Adoption Depression, what would stop her from neglecting or abusing her adoptive son?
-Vanessa is a single woman. I doubt any potential suitors would want to be married to woman who can't have children of her own, unless they're complete pollyannas. What would prevent those suitors from seeing the sea-monkey as a threat to their manhoods?
-If the adoption is apparently open, as implied by the framed note from Juno herself, how would that stop the sea-monkey from resenting both Juno for her selfish abandonment? How would it stop the sea-monkey from resenting Vanessa?

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 12:35 am

That seems like a stretch and not really supported by the movie itself. You can spout hypotheticals about any movie. Plus if she has a high paying job, that means she can afford day care or a babysitter, and is a much better position to care for the child than Juno was.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 4:10 am

I don't see it, and people have survived worse.

"Selfish abandonment?" Would it have been less selfish for a kid who is in no position to be able to raise a child to try to do that? Maybe her parents would've ended up doing it, but that would presumably lead to the selfish-abandonment criticism again.

Also, Bleeker and Juno weren't consummating any love at the time -- IIRC, she just wanted to try sex out and felt comfortable with him. It was only later, after talking to her dad(?), when she realized that she loved Bleeker. To my mind, it's not a story of 2 kids being lovey-dovey, getting it on, ending up knocked up, and then throwing the baby away and living happily ever after. I see it as a kid acting on a poorly thought out idea that gets her in over her head, and how she has to realize that she's in over her head and what to do about it (her first adult decision, it seems like).

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 11:33 am

Prometheus - The whole film falls apart under scrutiny.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 3:19 pm

Quote:
... if she has a high paying job, that means she can afford day care or a babysitter, and is a much better position to care for the child than Juno was.

Yeah, and that would be 90% of the time, given the stress and demands. Latchkey kid, anyone?

I fail to see the lesser of two evils. Both Vanessa and Juno were selfish in their choices, and the former is going to realize that karma will bite her in the ass.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 5:06 pm

Theres no such thing as karma though, its still entirely speculation on your part and nothing wrong with the writing of the actual movie.