Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kildareboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jun 2013, 1:48 pm

Hi guys, I'm a big movie nerd and i love most genres (bar sh***y romcoms and alot of kids movies out these days), but I am a huge fan of horror and exploitation movies. Basically the dark side of cinema, gore, taboo subjects etc. Not like i want to copy anything from these movies I just think their class. The reason I'm putting this up is their anyone around dublin or even anywhere who enjoys these kind of movies that can reccomend some. Theirs not alot of people in Ireland who find these interesting, its always just the big blockbusters or monsters inc crap..... So anyone cool enough who has a big taste for messed up movies drop me a line, it would be much appreciated.

Sound

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 2:48 pm

I've seen quite a few films that are downright disturbing. Some have even been banned. It's no wonder I still have the odd nightmare from time to time.

Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh & Blood
Man Bites Dog
August Underground
Slaughtered Vomit Dolls
Pan's Labyrinth
Irreversible
L'Interieur
I Spit On Your Grave

and many others.

Kildareboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jun 2013, 2:55 pm

Thats not a bad list man I've actually seen half of the films on there, If you enjoy some asian CAT III titles,deffo try the underground banker, or the story of ricky, bit hilarious gore-wise but its worth a watch.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 3:27 pm

Okay...
How about...

Cannibal Holocaust
Welcome to the Dollhouse
A Serbian Film
Antichrist
Pink Flamingos
Caligula
Ichi the Killer

Kildareboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jun 2013, 3:49 pm

Yeah seen them all besides caligula,but their is a possibilty i saw it drunk,you can find all the craziest stuff online. just as long as its not real haha

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 4:00 pm

Try watching Douglas Buck's short movies.

Cutting Moments in particular.

Kildareboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jun 2013, 4:05 pm

Ill check that out, iv been watchin some of nik zedds s**t lately,bit nuts but theirs sumtin weird about them that i like

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 3:25 pm

Pan's Labyrinth
Blue Velvet
I found parts of The Lovely Bones very disturbing, but maybe in a different way.
The first two movies are favorites though I have not seen Blue Velvet in several years.

Kildareboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jun 2013, 11:35 am

Pans labyrinth is magnificent, so well done, its like a f****d up fairytale for adults. and as for blue velvet,anything by david lynch is just excellent,deffo check out eraserhead

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm

I mention this movie often on here but it suits this post perfectly

Grimm Love

Kildareboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2013, 8:15 am

really appreciate all the feed back,just watched cutting moments the other day. extremely f****d up but worked on so many levels,cant wait to watch the rest.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 9:27 am

I recently saw a few clips from "A Serbian Film" and I think I can safely say I really don't need to watch the whole thing. What I saw was disturbing enough.

"Salo" by Pasolini is one of the few films I wish I had not seen. It starts out blandly enough but becomes rather hard to take. Frankly I don't remember the details too well as it has been many years since I saw the film, but it did bother me a great deal.

It seems to me that what really bothers me in a disturbing film is my sense of moral complicancy in watching the film. When I watched the few clips of "A Serbian Film" even though I knew the action was not real, I had a strong sense that if I did not DO something to help the fictional victims, that I was complicit in the harm done to them. And because there was nothing I could do, nor was it rational to think I should do something, I felt helpless to accept that these horrible things would happen to people.

On a more ridiculous note, I found "The Major and the Minor" with Ray Milland and Ginger Rogers rather disturbing. The story is basically about an army major who meets and starts falling in love with what he assumes is a 12 year old girl. It turns out the girl is really an adult woman trying to get a cheap child's ticket on a train, but nevertheless, it's hard for me to watch anything that Ray Milland is in without thinking he has an unnatural yen for 12 year olds.

Kildareboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2013, 10:59 am

Its funny how you mention that i was talking about this with my mate the other day,their is alot of stuff that i can watch and stomach that other people cant, even when it comes to rape scenes in movies like i spit on your grave and alot of taboo subjects that is quite difficult to even discuss rather then show them in a movie, like abuse to children or even their death, if its done in a tasteful artistic way rather then just going straight into it it can work on so many levels. take jaws for example. classic movie never had any problem with it, the music no doubt did help but for me that wasnt the clincher. For me it was the moment when he killed the boy on the lilo, i know that sounds f****d up but for me thats what made the film have much more intensity to it, that this creature will kill anyone,without any shame or morals because he is what he is,a killing machine.

But I can see what you mean when it comes to salo and a serbian film, at the end of the day these movies are made to push boundries to what we as humans can withstand to see the darker side within ourselves.

ApocalypticHavoc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2013, 8:20 pm

I try to stay away from movies like any of those posted in above replies (though I have seen Flower of Flesh and Blood, which to me was nothing special), but I got a few examples that I've heard of or seen clips of:

Nekromantik
The Angel's Melancholy
August Underground's Mordum
Guinea Pig 3: Mermaid in a Manhole
Tumbling Doll of Flesh

And I never knew about Pan's Labyrinth having controversy behind it! When did this happen?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 8:44 pm

Ireland eh? Have you seen a movie called The Butcher Boy?

Also, maybe you would like Hobo With A Shotgun.

There is an odd comedy/horror worth a look called SLITHER. SLITHER is like a mix of Tremors and The THING and a bit of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

I'd also suggest a movie called Ravenous. It takes places in 1800s America mostly around a remote military post during the winter. It's a dark humor movies based around Cannibalism. I think it's a good under-rated movie.

You might like Planet Terror. I think it's a decent zombie plague movie. Probably better if you're drinking to.

Kildareboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jun 2013, 12:42 pm

Well pans labyrinth isnt exactly a controversial movie but i do like guillermo del toro,devils backbone another good one,not exactly the most messed up of movies but they are at least worth a watch.

Yeah the butcher boy is a great one,we dont exactly do alot of extreme or dark cinema in ireland, im possibly the only bloke in the whole country that would watch these movies (but thats just me). We're breaking alot of new ground though with a new show thats been out the last few years called love/hate about drug dealers in dublin,its made me proud that we can finally get into stuff like this.

But back to the movies,hobo was a great one,i actually buy alot of dvds,not really into the download thing,hobos part of the collection,same with slither and planet terror,love them all,but you gotta add death proof,its just pure class. ravenous is a new one though for me so ill deffo check that one out.