Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 2:06 pm

I watched the live broadcast of the announcement of the 12th Doctor and all I can say is I AM VERY happy with the coice of actor that is. Peter Capaldi not only is he a good actor he is also exactly the same age William Hartnell was when he first played the doctor so very fitting for the 50th anniversary then.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2013, 2:13 pm

I'm not familiar with Peter Capaldi, but I think I like this choice. I thought it was going to be just more eye candy, but he looks like he could bring some new and interesting personality.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... r/2612947/

Quote:
"It's so wonderful not to keep this secret any longer," said Capaldi, a lifelong fan of the show. "I haven't played Doctor Who since I was 9 on the playground."

And now you get to do it for real. Godspeed. :salut:

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 2:15 pm

Happy happy! To quote the 10th doctor.
My feelings in a nutshell and in no particular order:
:D 8O :!: :hail: :thumleft: :thumright:
Where's the so excited I got heartburn while watching the show emoticon?

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2013, 2:18 pm

I think Peter Capaldi will be really good. Best of luck to the new Doctor!

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2013, 3:08 pm

Looking forward to the 50th anniversary special. I got into Doctor Who during the Chris Eccleston years, so am looking forward to putting the earlier regenerations and storylines in perspective.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 6:59 pm

Capaldi is a pretty funny guy from what I've seen, so I think it will be good.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2013, 2:00 am

I'm not really surprised that there's a lot of "who's that?" upon the Peter Capaldri reveal; the only thing I saw him in was a political satire known as The Thick Of It which was tucked away on BBC Four here - it was a bit of a niche political satire comedy that escaped the majority's notice; if you think of the West Wing but shot in the style of The Office with a Gordon Ramsey-esque lead character, you're halfway there.

Though that said, Capaldri's done a ton of things before so he's a very versatile actor. It'll be interesting to see where the series goes with an older lead actor; I'd be personally satisfied if they did less of the blockbuster-style self-referential guff of Series 7, and vastly improve the character-writing and dialogue and plot-pacing; the actors can only do the best with what they work with and Jenna-Louise Coleman needs the opportunity to show her range.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 8:01 am

I'd read in the papers that Peter Capaldi was one of the hot favourites and I really hoped it would be him. As soon as we got a view of his hand, as he was waiting in the wings, I was pretty sure it was him. He's very well known around here (understandably, as he's a local boy). He has a great track record, as an actor. He's also an Oscar winner, as director of the short film, Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life. I've got high hopes for his version of 'The Doctor'.

Draka
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm

I'd been hoping they'd pick an older actor. I've only seen Capaldi in "Fires of Pompeii" and Torchwood. I'm holding off judgement on him until I've seen him as the Doctor. On that note, I hope he gets a good introductory episode, like Smith did.