Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GinBlossoms
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2014, 11:52 pm

I was thinking how cool it would be to win an Oscar one day, since I just caught the very last part of it. Actually, how many unknown names make the Oscars every year? And how do actors or directors gain much national or international recognition in general?

Seriously, part of me wants to go to Hollywood someday to become an actor or filmmaker, but I don't know if I can even make it like that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 12:36 am

ah, the Oscars- a half-hour of sparkling entertainment spread out over 4 hours.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

03 Mar 2014, 1:37 am

Who's oscar?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 5:07 am

yournamehere wrote:
Who's oscar?

IOW the academy awards, a den of politics and iniquity.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 9:56 am

Your wrong!! ! It is a South American chichlid fish that is popular in aquariums. 8)

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 10:17 am

I'm not sure who Oscar is, but I know he has something to do with barely edible processed protein named after a thermally enhanced animal. Sometimes though, he's a grouch.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Joshua
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Mar 2014, 9:53 pm

Why would NBC send Al Roker to the Oscars when the ceremony aired on ABC? It'd be like if ABC sent George Stephanopolous and Robin Roberts to the Olympics, which aired on NBC. In a way, NBC was inadvertently promoting a rival network by sending the popular weatherman to the Oscars. In 2009, right when Glee debuted on Fox, the cast wanted to sing in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but were told no. That made sense since Glee airs on Fox and the parade airs on NBC. Do you think it was wrong for NBC to send Al Roker to the Oscars, knowing how the ceremony aired on ABC like it does every year?

To be honest, I could care less about the Oscar ceremony. I only focus on the winners and nominees as they tend to be trivia questions on Jeopardy! and Millionaire.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 9:59 pm

woody allen has made a pointed but subtle rejection of the whole Oscar thing, for several decades now.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 11:31 pm

From Wikipedia...

Quote:
The origin of the name Oscar is disputed. One biography of Bette Davis claims that she named the Oscar after her first husband, band leader Harmon Oscar Nelson. One of the earliest mentions in print of the term Oscar dates back to a Time magazine article about the 1934 6th Academy Awards. Walt Disney is also quoted as thanking the Academy for his Oscar as early as 1932. Another claimed origin is that the Academy's Executive Secretary, Margaret Herrick, first saw the award in 1931 and made reference to the statuette's reminding her of her "Uncle Oscar" (a nickname for her cousin Oscar Pierce). Columnist Sidney Skolsky was present during Herrick's naming and seized the name in his byline, "Employees have affectionately dubbed their famous statuette 'Oscar'". The trophy was officially dubbed the "Oscar" in 1939 by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Personally, i gave up on the annual telecast several years ago, mainly because I was sick of my favorite films rarely being nominated, and never winning for any of the high honors. It quickly became apparent to me that the Academy members were far more concerned with their own preferences than those of audiences. This continues even now, since only two of 2013's top-ten grossers won anything, and the Best Picture award was given to a film which finished 53rd on the worldwide earnings list.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:06 am

I could not ignore that statement- earnings do NOT in themselves determine a picture's artistic worthiness. mercenary values should have no place in judging artistic merit.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:20 am

Joshua wrote:
Why would NBC send Al Roker to the Oscars when the ceremony aired on ABC? It'd be like if ABC sent George Stephanopolous and Robin Roberts to the Olympics, which aired on NBC. In a way, NBC was inadvertently promoting a rival network by sending the popular weatherman to the Oscars. In 2009, right when Glee debuted on Fox, the cast wanted to sing in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but were told no. That made sense since Glee airs on Fox and the parade airs on NBC. Do you think it was wrong for NBC to send Al Roker to the Oscars, knowing how the ceremony aired on ABC like it does every year?

To be honest, I could care less about the Oscar ceremony. I only focus on the winners and nominees as they tend to be trivia questions on Jeopardy! and Millionaire.

O.k. I'm lost. Maybe I should return the favor and start talking about cars.

This guy called me lastnight, and said he got an engine on a trade he wanted me to look at, so I did. It was a 3970010, 010-020, .030" over 350, With 487x heads. Shall I keep going?

They say these people spend 35k$ in glamour on average just to show up. If it were me, I would probably drive myself, and shave for the occasion. Surley must be a hype.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 3:04 am

yournamehere wrote:
O.k. I'm lost. Maybe I should return the favor and start talking about cars. This guy called me lastnight, and said he got an engine on a trade he wanted me to look at, so I did. It was a 3970010, 010-020, .030" over 350, With 487x heads. Shall I keep going? They say these people spend 35k$ in glamour on average just to show up. If it were me, I would probably drive myself, and shave for the occasion. Surley must be a hype.

"those people" spend $35k and to them it would be like if we spent 5 bucks. and cars are SURELY more interesting and edifying even, than the political farce what is the Oscars.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 3:19 am

Thirty five thousand dollar me syndrome. Shouldn't that require therapy of somkind.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 3:20 am

yournamehere wrote:
Thirty five thousand dollar me syndrome. Shouldn't that require therapy of somkind.

worldly success is its own therapy.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 9:10 am

auntblabby wrote:
I could not ignore that statement- earnings do NOT in themselves determine a picture's artistic worthiness. mercenary values should have no place in judging artistic merit.
You're missing the point. The main reason any film makes money is because audiences like it, and many go to see it more than once. Those films' successes are what enable studios to make smaller fare. The 2013 list was just one example; I've seen it happen consistently for quite a while.

Now, I know some will probably bring up "Return of the King" from 2003, so let me address it with two simple words: "sympathy vote". The Academy virtually ignored the first two "Lord of the Rings" films, and did the same with both "Hobbit" entries so far. I believe the Academy members mainly included "Return of the King" on their 2003 list to avoid fan backlash...and I would not be surprised if the same thing happens next year with the final "Hobbit" entry. :(

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 9:25 am

Don't watch them, don't really care for them.