Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 6:16 pm

Im watching this and its really quite mundane. I dont understand whether its comedy or drama for a start. This seems trifling but it means I dont know what is supposed to be humour and what isn't so the fllm just seems utterly farcical. The dialogue seems really stilted and clumsy too. Yet its rated 8/10 on IMDB. It feels as if its a vehicle for Givenchy more than anything else.

What do you all think of the film?

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 8:36 pm

I love the movie.

By the way, back then the laws required that a movie, book, or other such work must include a copyright notice. The original showing of Charade was done without a copyright notice putting the movie in the public domain.

Thus, you can download the movie from the Internet legally. Also, you can make copies of those downloaded copies and distribute them to others legally. However, a purchased copy may be from a different print for which a copyright notice is valid.

What I really like is the vocal version of Henry Mancini's song Charade that is on the soundtrack. For some reason, I can listen to that song over and over and over again for days at a time without getting the least bit tired of it.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 9:11 pm

Gaaaah I think I took it too seriously? Hepburn really annoys me with the doe eyed gullibility and the romantic dialogue is cringeworthy. If I think about it as a light hearted comedy however I can see the appeal. It works fairly well as a film noir parody. You have all the mainstays of the genre but everything is turned round. The femme fatale is in fact completely clueless and vaguely airheaded, the hardened detective turns out to be the villain and the villain turns out to be the hardened detective and so on and so forth.

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3