Who will die in "Parenthood", if anyone

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 5:27 pm

This is probably the first parenthood post on this site that isn't about autism. Even though I only watch the show b/c of the autism theme.

It's been strongly hinted that someone will die in the final season of Parenthood. the conventional wisdom is that it will be Zeke. After the first two episodes, we have more heart issues for evidence. I think it's a red herring. Other possibilities mention have been Camille, Kristina (cancer), or Max (suicide). Parenthood isn't a show that holds back on extremely sad plots. The death of a grandparent, while sad (don't get me wrong,I am not for my grandparents to die) wouldn't have the sting that an untimely death in the second or third generation would.

My prediction is very dark. Take a look at the season 6 poster (http://squaredtvart.tumblr.com/image/98507732094). Notice who's missing? I think that Nora and Aida will die. It could even be the fault of another character. Perhaps Julia is babysitting them and is sleeping with her boyfriend instead keeping an eye on them, or maybe Drew babysits, but is too stoned to pay attention. Then you have the family shattered by guilt and anger as well as grief.

Who do you think will die? Or will anyone?

Widget
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2014, 1:45 am

Not to be flip but I thought it was not implausible that Max might end up shooting his classmates at school.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 9:56 pm

That would be a very unwise thing for the creators of the show to do- have the kid shoot up the school- given how sensitive the autistic community is about that.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm

This seems bad, but I hope it's Max's suicide. I feel like that could be beautifully done, and could send an important message.

AQ: 46

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2014, 7:51 pm

Widget wrote:
Not to be flip but I thought it was not implausible that Max might end up shooting his classmates at school.

Ah ah, with my twisted mind that will be one hell of a way to end the show, but the controversy that will follow will go on for months with parents groups, moral groups asking for more control on TV, debates will go on into society, parents of America (and elsewhere) will have a fit and sue everyone. So that won't happen.

Logically Zeeke passing away will be the way they will be ending the show, after the show is about how parents struggle their entire lives and about families, but mostly what being a parent is. Max committing suicide might also happen, but they better get it done with 6 to 8 episodes before the finale.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 5:23 pm

While I have been critical of the portrayal of AS/ASD on this show, I don't think that Jason Katims (the creator, whose son has AS) would do something as stigmatizing as having Max be a school shooter.

Max committing suicide would be a teachable moment about a frightening reality in out community.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2014, 7:22 pm

Why don't you like the portrayal?

AQ: 46

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 7:30 pm

See this thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt248973.html and a few in the Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation sub-forum.

Millstone
Raven
Raven

30 Jan 2015, 10:11 pm

Zeke died on the finale last night. Max had a dance with a girl at Sarah/Hank's wedding.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2015, 12:54 am

Rewatching... anyone else catch the part about it being really difficult for them to get Max into Dr. Pelikan's practice? And then later on Hank has absolutely no problem getting in to see him? It seems pretty unrealistic to me -- I'm not able to seek diagnosis because most psychiatrists who deal with Asperger's/ASD are exclusive to children under 18 years of age and refuse to see and treat an adult. There are like two psychiatrists in my state who will treat adults, and they have full practices. Is it so different in California? Or are we supposed to believe Hank paid extra to get seen?

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 1:55 am

Just watched the finale. I cried haha. Thought it was well written, tied up all the loose ends, and felt like it was one of the better finales compared to others. Definitely will miss this show.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 1:00 am

The finale was very well done. I was really expecting the Zeke heart problems to be a red herring until the last few episodes when it was obvious they couldn't close a story on anyone else's death in just a few episodes.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 3:35 pm

Beau wrote:
Definitely will miss this show.

It had a few good moments, but I'm gald it's over. There was a little too much of a curebie bent, and they were starting to promote some nasty stereotypes.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 1:38 pm

I've only seen a few episodes and I don't know who Zeke is.