Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 8:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:
My favourite scene has got to be Maxmius screaming "ROMA VICTOR!" after the battle with the barbarians, it's stirring and sends shivers up my spine. Still a masterpiece after 14 years.

I was actually cheering for the Germanic Barbarians - but that's just me.

Why they ware barbarian after all?
The Roman bring civilization to to uncivilized nations like British did in XIX century or USA in XX century :D

But those Barbarians - who in fact were most of our ancestors, if you or your people come from north of the Alps - were considerably freer than the Romans, and were still electing their chiefs or kings, and war leaders in popular assemblies. And while slavery existed, it didn't exist on nearly a wide scale as among the Romans, and most slaves had the status more resembling medieval serfs, farming land for a landlord. And the best of Barbarian metallurgy in fact surpassed anything the Romans had, though admittedly, this was the work of individual craftsmen who couldn't mass produce products like the Romans could.
Oh, and Barbarians actually bathed with soap and warm water, while the Romans covered themselves with oil while using the public baths, which they then used a tool to scrape off dead skin and dirt. :eew:

I was joked:-)
Despite all wrongdoing that my country suffered from let we say "descendants" of this Germanic tribes, i also cheering them, because i always cheer the underdogs, people with balls or cajones as Spaniards call it, Germans tribes had cajones because they chosen to stand and fight even if they had no chance with let we say Roman military-industrial complex :D and Maximums had caiones even more because he was Iberian :lol:
And chosen to stand against mad Emperor Commodus.

I like that scene
http://youtu.be/hVKjzUhyufY?t=1m50s

Even with my basic knowledge of modern German i can understand what that mean :D

PS.
at university (during my bachelor studies) i forgot to enroll to compulsory foreign language (we need to have knowledge on B2-1 (intermediate) level of any foreign language i want to Enroll to English course when I remembered it was to language i can only enroll to German or Russian, i chosen German because it similar to English , Russian i is similar to Polish but the have strange alphabet. Year latter i switched German To English because i cannot learn it, I thought it silly number of difficult and complicated grammatical rules, nothing beats my native Polish language, but I was wrong :D

While in comparison to the Romans. the Germanic tribes were definitely the underdogs, but they certainly had a pretty good chance of winning military engagements against Roman legions. The Sugambri with other Germanic tribes had beaten a legion on Roman controlled Gallic soil. Two decades later, a coalition of Germanic tribes under the leadership of Germany's first and greatest national hero, Arminius, had rebelled successfully against Rome's rule in the Teutoberg forest, annihilating three legions and permanently pushing back Rome's borders beyond the Rhine. And while the Romans could often beat the Germans, the latter kept fighting till the Romans became worn out and left.
The scene in the movie Gladiator dealt with a real Germanic/Roman war called the Marcomannic war. Former allies of Rome, the Marcomanni had been pushed by tribes behind them, so out of desperation, the Marcomanni pressed on the Roman border. Soon several other tribes became involved, tying up Emperor Marcus Aurelius on the Danube for years. His crazy son Comadus, more interested in gladiatorial games than in statecraft, made peace with the Barbarians, despite several significant victories, then returned home to Rome.

I remember, Ambush in Teutoburg forest ambush
Quintili Vare, legiones redde! :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fqb3cPPfuM[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 9:01 pm

^^^
Too cool, man! :thumleft: