Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 9:01 pm

Is Twin Peaks' weirdness black comedy or Lynchian lunacy? I.e. would you call Twin Peaks surreal comedy or surreal drama

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 9:28 pm

I always thought of it as surrealism with elements of dark humor to it. Basically, Lynchian lunacy.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 11:23 am

I don't think so, there's humor in many episodes but the surreal stuff and drama in the episodes tend to overtake any of that.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 11:53 am

I dont really think its typical of Lynch's other stuff to be honest. Much of it is dark with vague undercurrents of a sort of dark twisted humour. Twin Peaks feels like a comedy in some places. There is another show called Northern Exposure which is very very similar in terms of this idea of a tight knit Canadian/Alaskan community made up of half wits schemers plotters and nutjobs XD I see Twin Peaks as melodramatic/black comedy as opposed to a drama with comic undertones. Im midway through season 1 so maybe it changes tone?

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2014, 3:30 pm

Funny, I never thought of it as a comedy at all. It's far too surreal for that. Maybe elements that seem comedic to some where put there to soften it up for TV. I think it's fairly typical of Lynch's films actually like Lost Highway and Blue Velvet. Twin Peaks wasn't bad but I lost track mid way through season.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2014, 3:21 am

I would say there's a lot of dark humour in it, but the series genre is not comedy (if that's what you mean). Like Kraichgauer said, it's very "surreal" (that's a very good word to describe it).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 3:28 am

russiank12 wrote:
I would say there's a lot of dark humour in it, but the series genre is not comedy (if that's what you mean). Like Kraichgauer said, it's very "surreal" (that's a very good word to describe it).

The strange and bizarre is either frightening or funny.