Page 948 of 1263 [ 20198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 945, 946, 947, 948, 949, 950, 951 ... 1263  Next

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 6:16 pm

I've just seen JoJo Rabbit at the cinema. Wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. Turns out, it's a good-natured film that will likely win the hearts of many viewers. Includes Beatles songs, David Bowie's Heroes, and casting was brilliant. The children were exceptional young New Zealand actors. This film is intended to pierce and deflate the hideous bubble of Nazi ideology – a risky strategy that can reap rich rewards. New Zealand writer-director-performer Taika Waititi plays a slapstick version of Hitler, who exists in the mind of a German boy, Jojo. Roman Griffin Davis plays the 10-year-old growing up under the Third Reich, whose jolly dreams of becoming an Aryan war hero are thwarted by his innate sensitivity and squeamishness. Nicknamed Jojo Rabbit after failing to strangle a bunny when ordered to do so at a Nazi youth training camp, our antihero promptly blows himself up with a hand grenade, rendering him unfit for future combat. Instead, he’s assigned more menial tasks, including handing out recruitment leaflets, spurred on by visions of his imaginary Führer friend.

Beneath the fanaticism, Jojo is a frightened boy whose sister has died and whose father has disappeared in battle. But his mother, Rosie (Scarlett Johansson), has a secret: she’s a covert anti-fascist who is hiding a Jewish girl, Elsa (Leave No Trace star Thomasin McKenzie), in the attic. When Jojo stumbles upon Elsa, he is initially horrified, believing her to be a monster. But gradually the pair strike up a love-hate relationship that infuriates Imaginary Adolf and causes Jojo to start to rethink his allegiances.

Highly quirky with a heart...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4McUzXfFI

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 6:42 pm

Bumblebee

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 12:03 am

The first Harry Potter.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 10:42 am

EzraS wrote:
The first Harry Potter.

Classic!

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 6:39 pm

The Addams Family (2019) and The Intern

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 9:28 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:

I want to see the new Addams Family.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 5:17 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:

I want to see the new Addams Family.

You will certainly like it, Brother Cecil.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 5:17 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:

What are your opinions, Sister Ashley?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 5:37 pm

Keeping with my current fascination for Scandinavian and Korean noir, I recently saw the Korean film "A Day." Fairly violent, it has two men keep reliving a traumatic accident. (Think "Happy Death Day"). As in some Korean flicks, their annoying trope of over-dramatic acting with sappy background music was really heavy-handed here, sort of like the ridiculously annoying woman in "Midsommar" who cries loudly throughout the entire movie. As a result, like "Midsommar", it's not recommended.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 6:16 am

Motherless Brooklyn.

Extremely first rate crime movie set in the '50's. Louis, an unlikely hero with Tourret syndrome, OCD, and an incredible memory is the legman working for his best friend and employer, a private detective, who is suddenly murdered when on a job he can't divulge. Unable to let the case rest, he discovers the murder leads to a labyrinth of New York court house politics and the obliteration of black and poor neighborhoods. Highly recommended.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 9:28 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Motherless Brooklyn.

Extremely first rate crime movie set in the '50's. Louis, an unlikely hero with Tourret syndrome, OCD, and an incredible memory is the legman working for his best friend and employer, a private detective, who is suddenly murdered when on a job he can't divulge. Unable to let the case rest, he discovers the murder leads to a labyrinth of New York court house politics and the obliteration of black and poor neighborhoods. Highly recommended.

I have heard about this film. It sound interesting.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 5:41 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Motherless Brooklyn.

I have heard about this film. It sound interesting.

I vouch for it, 100%.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 11:08 pm

Burlesque

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 11:21 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Burlesque

What is your opinion, Sister Kitty?

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 11:01 am

The Gentlemen
Guy Ritchie is back on to form. A very funny British gangster film. I laughed a lot. Lot of good funny quirky moments. Hugh Grant Colin Farrell were two characters I liked a lot. The whole film was great. I enjoyed it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 5:45 pm

Lurking Fear.

Extremely terrible production of Lovecraft's The Lurking Fear. HPL must be spinning in his grave! The only two recognizable actors are Jeffrey Combs, and the chick from Hellraiser.