Page 1162 of 1263 [ 20198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1159, 1160, 1161, 1162, 1163, 1164, 1165 ... 1263  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 11:59 am

Last night I watched:

The Invisible Man [1933]
<=>"Catch me if you can!"

Reasonably good.

But not as well made as its precursors: Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy. IMDb gives a lengthy list of goofs—sometimes when the invisible man moves things it is ridiculously easy to see the wires. And sometimes when you are looking through the invisible man you can also see through his not-invisible bandages or clothes and see the room beyond.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 9:23 am

The Heat
fun

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 11:21 am

Last night we watched:

Vivarium [2019]
<=>"Every house is identical. Every house is empty. Except for yours. Welcome to Yonder."

It's hard to know what to say. I think it is weird. My bride used the word "creepy" (for describing the movie, the neighborhood, the boy, and the real estate agent—and she was right with respect to all of them).

It is a nightmare of a situation (the frustrating kind, not the violent kind). All of the performances were at least excellent—though the real estate agent and the boy will probably be exquisitely unpleasant to watch.

If the above does not scare you off then I recommend the movie. It should hold your attention.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 12:15 am

The Invitation.

A young African American woman, after having lost her parents, searches out relatives through internet genealogy, to discover she has long lost relatives in England. Having been invited to a wedding in Britain, she learns what the real reason for her presence is, who and what her family are, and especially who the host, the Lord of Carfax Abbey, really is. Decent horror film.

Last edited by Kraichgauer on 11 Nov 2022, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 12:18 am

Double Retired wrote:
Last night we watched:

Vivarium [2019]
<=>"Every house is identical. Every house is empty. Except for yours. Welcome to Yonder."

It's hard to know what to say. I think it is weird. My bride used the word "creepy" (for describing the movie, the neighborhood, the boy, and the real estate agent—and she was right with respect to all of them).

It is a nightmare of a situation (the frustrating kind, not the violent kind). All of the performances were at least excellent—though the real estate agent and the boy will probably be exquisitely unpleasant to watch.

If the above does not scare you off then I recommend the movie. It should hold your attention.

A truly underrated horror movie.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 9:19 am

Hellboy 2
Very good.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 10:25 am

Last night we watched:

The Munsters [2022]
<=>"It’s love at first shock as these two ghouls fall fangs over feet
<=>+It's love at fin this crazy Transylvanian romance."

A good movie. We were both entertained.

Very respectful of the TV series, The Munsters [1964–1966]. It is effectively a prequel to the series, starting before Herman and Lily met and progressing through their early romance.

It is so faithful to the series that the movie ends the way the TV series started each episode:

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 6:30 am

The Bubble (1966)

Watched on Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K), hosted/commentary by Joel Robertson (Joel Hodgeson), Tom Servo (Conor McGiffin), and Crow T Robot (Kelsey Ann Brady).

The movie is strange, and that doesn't bother me. The MST3K riffs are good. It's always nice to her Joel Hodgeson's voice.

According the the movie script, pregnancy and giving birth is pretty much a "sexy belly ache" which is evidence.

For more about the revival of MST3K, go to Wikipedia

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 9:57 am

In the Army Now
Fun.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 12:10 pm

Last night we watched:

Nope [2022]
<=>"From Jordan Peele"

We agree with the others on this thread who've reported seeing it, it is a very good film!

I don't know that I would call it "great", but it is definitely very good. I thought the early part was a little slow.

The film was incredibly well-made, however. Things that had to have been special effects looked real. Sets looked real. Characters came across as real.

After seeing the film I watched the making-of feature on the disk. Now I am even more impressed. And I want to watch the film again now that the details will mean more to me.

I agree with the others: Recommended.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 4:36 pm

^ I'm looking forward to watching that. :)

Watched The East.

A film with substance. Brit Marling is brilliant, as always.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 10:05 am

Batman Begins
pretty good

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 12:20 pm

Last night we watched two movies:

WarGames [1983]
<=>"The only winning move is not to play."

A landmark film in the realm of computer security. Because of the film one of the hacking techniques it illustrated is now called "wardialing". Other real techniques for breaching IT security are also shown in the film.

The film has a computer simulation of a nuclear attack being mistaken for a real attack, which isn't as outlandish as one would hope. That actually happened on November 9, 1979!

Recommended!

Note: Since being identified as an Aspie I find I sometimes look at film characters differently. The film has a minor character "Malvin" and now I wonder if he was modelled after people on the Autism Spectrum.

Colossus: The Forbin Project [1970]
<=>"This is the dawning of the Age of Colossus
<=>*This is(where peace is compulsory...
<=>*This is the dafreedom is forbidden...
<=>*This is the dawning oand Man's greatest invention could be Man's greatest mistake)."

An excellent film...one of my favorites. Definitely recommended for science fiction fans who are interested in computers.

This movie is based on the first book in the Colossus book trilogy by D.F. Jones. The trilogy is a good read and I would love to see a trilogy of movies based upon them—though showing technology updated fifty years to bring it into the world of Today.

Watching WarGames inspired me to follow it with this movie. It probably should've inspired me to go to bed. :oops: I don't think either of us gets full-credit for watching Colossus: The Forbin Project last night. Fortunately it is a movie I can always enjoy re-watching.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 2:57 pm

Studio 666.

Re-watched the Foo Fighter's horror/comedy which is essentially The Shining with music. Always fun!

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 7:04 pm

^Planning to watch that & Vivarium soon.

Saturday night watched Barbarian(2022) Horror

A young woman discovers the rental home she booked is already occupied by a stranger. Against her better judgment, she decides to spend the night but soon discovers there's a lot more to fear than just an unexpected house guest.

Wildly unpredictable, Barbarian begins as a tale of awkward circumstance, before mutating into something intensely claustrophobic, satirically amusing, and in its best moments, both.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 7:37 pm

A Nightmare on Elm Street
(The one from 2010)