Movies you hate that everyone else loved

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 10:30 pm

Ok, we are supposed to think differently that NTs, so I wonder if that extends to entertainment choices. What movies do you dislike that everyone else though was great?

My initial list:

1. Forest Gump-I think it might have won a couple of Oscars. I didn't see the point on this movie at all, and it was so over the top unbelievable.

2. American Beauty-I know this won the best picture Oscar. Like Forest Gump, I really didn't see the point in this movie either. The best I could make out was that it was trying to say that life in suburbia isn't as idealistic as it seems. Wow-what an original theme. Like that hasn't been done to death.

3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest-Watched this a long time ago. I don't remember too much about it, but I remember I didn't find it entertaining.

Sorry if you like any of these movies, didn't mean to offend you. I just didn't like them much. So what movies would be on your list?

angelsonthemoon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2024, 9:13 am

Been a while since I've seen American Beauty. From what I remember though, I'm more or less with you. Maybe it had good cinematography, but other than that, there's not a lot there beyond cynicism.

Hereditary is a frustrating movie. The director has talent, but the demonic aspect is just window dressing for a garden variety family dysfunction story. Having naked old people at the end felt in bad taste IMO.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 9:48 am

Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Basically chaotic and I lost interest quickly. Maybe some people liked the queer representation or possible shout-outs to classic video games? No idea.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 10:02 am

ProfessorJohn wrote:
Forest Gump-I think it might have won a couple of Oscars. I didn't see the point on this movie at all, and it was so over the top unbelievable.

Forest Gump was basically just the baby boomer cohort putting together a hit compilation and patting themselves on the back for all the changes they witnessed and the causes some of them embraced while most of them never cared or actively fought against those folks.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 10:20 am

Trekkies [1997]

We saw it in a theater with friends. I was horrified. It's not fiction, it's a documentary!

There really are people like that out there. :pale: That's frightening!

I am resolved to never see the film again.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 10:46 am

Forrest as a male christian name is unique to ex-Confederate states. It's the name of a Confederate general. Not sure why the screenwriters gave him that name.

It's a long film but I suppose the central premise is that he was conscripted for combat despite having a "low" IQ which should have exempted him. You'd have to be an American.over a certain age to appreciate why that's a valid premise for a movie. Someday someone will make a classic film about a hapless individual who suffers through the years of Biden and Trudeau and their grandkids will probably think it's narcissistic crap.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2024, 10:47 am

Clerks- Everyone drools over the clerk's movies, I don't remember a ton about it but it didn't hold my interest.

Super Bad- Lives up to its title.

Anything Star Wars or Star Trek.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 10:48 am

Forrest as a male christian name is unique to ex-Confederate states. It's the name of a Confederate general. Not sure why the screenwriters gave him that name.

It's a long film but I suppose the central premise is that he was conscripted for combat despite having a "low" IQ which should have exempted him. You'd have to be an American.over a certain age to appreciate why that's a valid premise for a movie. Someday someone will make a classic film about a hapless individual who suffers through the years of Biden and Trudeau and their grandkids will probably think it's narcissistic crap.

Note: I didn't love this film but I got the point.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 12:29 pm

Titanic

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:45 pm

The Exorcist

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 4:40 pm

I don't know what the critics said, but Lady in the Water wasn't a movie that I enjoyed. Not one of M. Night's better movies.

Dr. Sleep was a big letdown as a sequel to The Shining. Did anyone else have a problem with Danny going back to the Overlook after it had been abandoned for 40 years and the electricity still worked there?

2010 was a letdown after 2001 also. It suffered from the same problem that Dr. Sleep did. The original (2001 and The Shining) had a very surreal quality to them, where the sequels didn't at all. I suppose no one can follow Kubrick.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 4:20 am

King Kat 1 wrote:
Clerks- Everyone drools over the clerk's movies, I don't remember a ton about it but it didn't hold my interest.

Oh god, yes. I went to film school and everyone there thought this was the best thing ever. I mean, it was impressive and sort of instructive that you could make a film for basically nothing with a few friends and a can-do attitude (in the 90s this was unusual!) but it wasn't a good movie imo. I never found Kevin Smith's stuff particularly funny and listening to people quote it endlessly used to annoy me. I watched Mallrats and Chasing Amy but never saw any of the Clerk's sequels.

Suicidal_Vampire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Today, 8:00 am

Frozen (Hate this with a passion)
Oppenheimer (BORING AF)
Poor Things
The Goonies
Rocky
Barbie (Saw it twice. Can anybody explain why people cried at the end?)
Almost anything in the MCU.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 8:07 am

Suicidal_Vampire wrote:
Almost anything in the MCU.

Also yes. The thing about the Marvel movies that I don't get it is, every time they put out a movie, the hype machine gets going, everyone is supposed to be really pumped and that "This time, they really got it right." and then the movie comes out and it's crap again and apart from a few people who are really invested, everyone forgets the movie ever existed. And then they announce the next movie and it all starts again and no one seems to notice that none of the movies are any good.

I know they're not for me, but still. They're not good.

And I'll defend the Goonies because as a kid I was all about secret passages and puzzles and hidden historical things and it enchanted me, but having watched it as an adult it's a mess of a film and makes very little sense.

ElmersTrueLove
Toucan
Toucan

Today, 10:00 am

Barbie 2023

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 10:48 am

I am struggling to think of a movie I've hated. Movies either "click" with me, with what I can bring to the films experience, or it doesn't. I saw Super Bad was listed by King Kat 1 (or did you mean Superbad?). Superbad was a film I almost walked out of, but I watched it through the end. I didn't care for it. But I've watched it since, and my reaction was not so bad. There are also films I really enjoyed, but later leaves me feeling flat. Then I'll watch it again, and I find enjoyment in it again. Since the film has not changed, it must be me. That's okay.

Being There was a film I thought was absolutely brilliant when it was released. I saw it in the theater several times. Then I watched it ten years or more later and I thought it was a bit simple, and I found parts annoying. But even Being There, when I watched it again, ten years or so after last watching it (third experience), I enjoyed it. I didn't find it "brilliant" like I did when I was twenty, but it was not annoying at all.

Last edited by pcgoblin on 14 May 2024, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.