Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 3:48 am

What did you think of this movie? I was confused about the ending because I couldn't tell if the last living character was unable to take off, or if the ship was working but she just decided to sacrifice her life.

I was irritated that she would sacrifice her life just so that people could get a few minutes of footage. Stupid. I think I used to have her mindset when I was young (and wanting to be an astronaut); that scientific knowledge was worth my life. Then I grew the hell up.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 6:24 am

I was under the impression that she died to get the bit of film. My reaction to it was about the same as yours; especially considering that if she was able to get back to Earth alive, the video of the previous events and her reports about what she saw would probably be enough to launch a second investigative mission, this time better prepared. (Unless they refused to believe her despite evidence that she is telling the truth, like Ripley in Aliens). They then would have gotten more and better footage than the eight seconds or whatever it was that she got, and she would not have had to die. But it's been a little while since I watched it, she may not have had the capability to get all the way back to Earth. In that case, if she is going to die anyway, then I agree with her decision; she might as well get some useful film before she dies.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 6:37 am

I think my previous post might have been a little confusing. I think it turned out she couldn't get off the moon and was going to die no matter what. What bothered me more was how mechanical the creature was at the end. I was sitting there like, "Who built a robot octopus on Europa?" It had headlights and everything; do you think it was supposed to be an organic creature? I did not get 'organic' from it at all, I got machine.
I suppose maybe it could have been an alien transport vessel, and we'll find out that it didn't kill her, it picked her up. She'll show up on Earth months later having aged a hundred years and she'll die as she's telling her story so they then have to send a second crew out there to verify her claims, who also get killed off one by one in the sequel. Just like every other 'serial killer in space' type sci-fi franchise (hellooooo, Alien, Event Horizon, and one episode of Futurama).

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 12:38 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
I think my previous post might have been a little confusing.

Nope, I understood you.

Quote:
What bothered me more was how mechanical the creature was at the end. I was sitting there like, "Who built a robot octopus on Europa?"

I noticed that too and thought it was strange.

Quote:
It had headlights and everything; do you think it was supposed to be an organic creature?

I thought that they were maybe trying to portray bioluminescence and overdid it due to scientific ignorance, but I don't know.