New classic Thunderbirds episodes are coming! F.A.B.!

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

GreenAsparagus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2016, 4:00 pm

I've always been a big fan of Thunderbirds, the kids sci-fi TV show with marionettes, great special effects and over the top music from the late sixties. I'm not that old myself, but when I was a little kid (primary school age) my mother told me to watch it since she'd seen it herself when she was younger, and TV's were still black and white. I loved it.

This show is called 'Classic Thunderbirds' because there've been some reboots, including a movie and a very short TV series that used people instead of puppets, and a computer-animated show. 'Classic Thunderbirds' is the only one using marionettes. I have no idea if the reboots are any good, I haven't seen them.

I obtained a DVD box of the series a few years ago, and I still enjoy the show, but for different reasons now.

Yesterday I finished watching all the episodes from the DVD box, so I looked online for a behind the scenes documentary. I found something better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eAR-LGk30I

Turns out some time ago there was a crowd-funding event, which succeeded. A team of artists has turned some old audio stories into TV episodes, in the old style. That means using puppetry and pyrotechnics. They made new marionettes from the original moulds, and re-created sets from scratch. Most of the sets were either destroyed or re-purposed for other TV series after the original series had finished its run, so this was the only way.

I'm super excited to have discovered this project, and since it's recently finished, I should see if I can obtain the episodes myself.

Any other Thunderbirds fans here?