Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:17 pm

While critiquing a video claiming Dory was faking anterograde amnesia, I noticed every instance where the video maker was claiming she was showing evidence of faking it, she was actually showing possible symptoms of autism. In the comments someone claimed that short term memory loss was being used as a euphemism for autism. What do you think of this idea?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:23 pm

What are some of these symptoms of autism you noticed in Dory?

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:29 pm

Does it matter?

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:36 pm

I think she's just mostly extremely ADHD

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 9:53 pm

Obviously, none of you have watched the movie; or if you have, then you weren't paying attention. The character says several times throughout the movie that she "... suffers from short-term memory loss".

Keep in mind that just about any fictional character that is played for laughs has been proclaimed "autistic" by one self-appointed diagnostician or another.

:roll:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:00 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
What are some of these symptoms of autism you noticed in Dory?

Aside from having problems with short-term memory, which is a trait of autism, and on the flipside displaying some pretty impressive long-term memory feats, she has seems to have problems with generalizing from images which is a very Temple Grandin sort of thing, and her being highly sensitive stress when it comes to memorizing and recalling things. I had along post that got nuked, but there I mentioned that she technically doesn't have short-term memory LOSS as she was born with her condition, as shown in Finding Dory, so that makes autism more likely. Haven't seen Finding Dory aside from a couple trailers so I can't really comment on it.

Fnord wrote:
Obviously, none of you have watched the movie; or if you have, then you weren't paying attention. The character says several times throughout the movie that she "... suffers from short-term memory loss".

Keep in mind that just about any fictional character that is played for laughs has been proclaimed "autistic" by one self-appointed diagnostician or another.

:roll:

You obviously didn't read the thread, as I specifically mentioned that. This is not the first time you've done this.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:41 pm

As far as Finding Nemo, it's been a while since I've seen it. But there are many aspects of Dory that could be relatable to some people on the spectrum and Pixar most likely realized this, if not emphasized it, in Finding Dory.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 5:26 pm

Dory is a "genius ditz". She has trouble remembering things and yet she's a fish who can read English, communicate with whales, and knows that an octopus has three hearts... when she actually remembers those things. But I don't think she's autistic. She's too cheerful and optimistic and happy most of the time. People with autism usually act more like Marlin, who is the exact opposite. Although his anxiety and pessimism is understandable since a barracuda made his wife and other children into a caviar dinner.

I don't understand why people would think she's making up the whole memory loss thing. I haven't seen the video. I don't to see the video because just the thought of it makes my skin crawl. I cannot STAND to listen to the theories people have about movies and video games.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 1:12 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Dory is a "genius ditz". She has trouble remembering things and yet she's a fish who can read English, communicate with whales, and knows that an octopus has three hearts... when she actually remembers those things. But I don't think she's autistic. She's too cheerful and optimistic and happy most of the time.

Are you seriously going to stereo type autistic people in this manner? Come on, now you should know better. :roll:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 5:35 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Dory is a "genius ditz". She has trouble remembering things and yet she's a fish who can read English, communicate with whales, and knows that an octopus has three hearts... when she actually remembers those things. But I don't think she's autistic. She's too cheerful and optimistic and happy most of the time. People with autism usually act more like Marlin, who is the exact opposite. Although his anxiety and pessimism is understandable since a barracuda made his wife and other children into a caviar dinner.

I don't understand why people would think she's making up the whole memory loss thing. I haven't seen the video. I don't to see the video because just the thought of it makes my skin crawl. I cannot STAND to listen to the theories people have about movies and video games.

Autism isn't a personality. Most autistic people I know are NOT like Marlin. I'm sometimes like Marlin, but usually not. Usually I'm more like Dory. If you haven't met a bubbly autistic person, you haven't met enough autistic people.

Also, I advise you not watch the video, it's extremely dumb and just the guys voice is enough to make skin crawl.

amdedinboro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2016, 9:27 pm

I didn't really pick up on that. I heard about the "faking short term memory loss" theory, but I feel like that's just a case of nitpicky fans looking into things too much. I doubt whether it was what the writers really intended.

But, I did feel like the movie had a message that could be viewed as encouraging for people with autism, or anyone who's differently abled in any way and struggled with feelings of not belonging as a result :)

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2019, 3:21 pm

I don't think so, I think she just has short term memory loss

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 3:34 pm

Dory has great social skills. Not autistic. She starred in her own movie, Finding Dory. I watched both movies when they came out.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 May 2019, 8:31 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
I think she's just mostly extremely ADHD
I was gonna say ADHD with short term memory loss. She's very excitable, distracted very easily & confused very easily. These things could be related to comorbids of autism but not necessarily autism.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 5:14 am

Memory loss isn't really an autism trait.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 8:28 am

But, exceptional memory abilities are often associated with autism. I can remember how to do math problems that I haven't done in decades. It seems that most NTs can't do that. Or remember stuff like 6.022045 x 10^23 as being Avogardro's number when I was a kid. Which had since been redefined!