Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2016, 1:15 pm

I've been watching movies to appreciate them as a visual art form. I've studied the arts and photography so things like use of color, framing, composition, and usage of light and dark I have an eye for. The last time I watched "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" I was really appeeciating the use of contrast in warm and cool color palates to tell the story visually.

What movies do you think stand out in cinematography?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 2:12 pm

... apparently someone else agreed, as it - just like Close Encounters of the Third Kind - got the Academy Award for Best Cinematography...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 3:20 pm

Any movie that has a cinematographer who is Roger Deakins or Emmanuel Lubezki.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 5:07 pm

tarkovski films are visually stunning, so much so todays visually stunning films (the revenant) are still copying his (ivan's childhood, specifically).
stalker's my favourite, but anton rublyev was also fantastic.

kubrick is also in a league of his hown, barry lyndon in particular.

tarsem singh's the fall, if you like colour-

I also believe terrence malick's whole career is built on the work of his cinematographers and editors, less so on his direction or stories....they got a lot worse, actually, with tree of life and everything after, but they still look gorgeous.

for something different entirely, take a look at chris marker's sans soleil, which has his own quiet mundane beauty.

yasujiro ozu, also very distinct, uninteusive cinematography.

shohei imamura's ballad of narayama, also unique not only in cinematography

I'm sure I can come up with more...

edit: had to look up lubetzki, and realized he did the revenant and more than half (the apert-from-cinematogrphy-not-so-good-ones) of terrence malick's work.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2016, 10:28 pm

I also like Lazlo Kovacs who like the Hungarians and Eastern Europeans, are influenced by Constructivism. Strong graphical composition: leading lines, use of scale, plays between symmetry and asymmetry. Very strong sense of line and spatial relation.