Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:26 pm

I picked up this film from a charity shop a few days ago. I had seen it before and remembered it made me laugh so I wanted to see it again. Since then I have watched it every night and think I have become transfixed with it.

I like the Meryl Streep performance and without her the film would be crap. Her character is a cut throat nasty b***h who talks to everyone like they are s**t. But she is so funny in the role.

The English secretary was a b***h too but I hated her. I don't think she was really English I thought it was an American actress putting on the accent.

The Andrea character was the protagonist and she was a nice character but I thought too nice. She put up with all the crap the b***h English secretary said to her and then didn't feel good about taking her place on the Paris trip!
She was too goody goody and couldn't relate to her.

But why have I become transfixed with this chick flick all of a sudden???? The music soundtrack is good because they play U2 on it, but apart from that it is an empty movie and is only saved by Meryl Streep.

Does anyone like it?

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2013, 6:03 pm

I used to work at the electronics section of a department store during the time it came out on video, and got to see a lot of free movies on the job as a result, since we could open up a new release or two to play it on the display TVs each week.
This was one of the movies I saw there (and saw it repeatedly due to playing it throughout a week it came out in), and I remember liking it overall and thinking it was pretty well put together. It's not really into girly sort of movies like this in general, but if even I was entertained by it, then I can see how someone more into this type of movie might be really into it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 7:26 pm

There is a movie sequel in the works. The book sequel is already on the shelves.

TheZachadoodle
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2013, 7:32 pm

I thought you meant the band...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 7:33 pm

When was Meryl Steep ever in a band?

:roll:

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 7:23 am

One thing that puzzles me a lot in the film comes at the very end when the Andrea character has left her job and she is walking down the street and sees the Meryl Streep character getting in her car. Then Meryl Streep smiles to herself in the car and I don't know why. Does that mean she liked Andrea? I don't get it.

TheZachadoodle
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2013, 5:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
When was Meryl Steep ever in a band?

:roll:

No...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthgB0uSlXo