Page 35 of 39 [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 9:00 pm

Pepe wrote:
AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Oh and I haven't seen The Lower Decks. I have trouble watching animated shows/movies. For some reason they make me feel weird (I'm unable to describe it :? ).

Could you clarify? :scratch:

It's like a disconnected feeling. Something about hearing human voices come out of non-humans can make me feel unsettled. It's a feeling that creeps up on me slowly, then real things around me feel less real. Bleh I'm no good at explaining these things.

EVERY TIME someone says they can't explain something, I ask them to clarify what they can't explain. :P :mrgreen:
Watch out for next time.
It is a "standing" joke of mine. :wink:

Ah you got me :lol:

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 9:05 pm

I love a good mashup meme :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 10:46 pm

Pepe wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Oh and I haven't seen The Lower Decks. I have trouble watching animated shows/movies. For some reason they make me feel weird (I'm unable to describe it :? ).

Could you clarify? :scratch:

It's like a disconnected feeling. Something about hearing human voices come out of non-humans can make me feel unsettled. It's a feeling that creeps up on me slowly, then real things around me feel less real. Bleh I'm no good at explaining these things.

EVERY TIME someone says they can't explain something, I ask them to clarify what they can't explain. :P :mrgreen:
Watch out for next time.
It is a "standing" joke of mine. :wink:

Ah you got me :lol:

How much do you think Fey is willing to pay, to get you back? :scratch: :mrgreen:

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 10:51 pm

^ :lmao:
Quite a lot
...I hope 8O
:lol:

HEY FEY! What's your budget here?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 11:08 pm

I had a different log in mind...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2020, 12:44 am

cyberdad wrote:

A Hershey highway log? :scratch:

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2020, 1:14 am

Quite a lot
...I hope 8O

It would seem he's betting on you getting sick of me, and returning without needing to negotiate a ransom :P .

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2020, 2:39 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

A Hershey highway log? :scratch:

Yeah that one "phew"

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2020, 2:02 pm

I am watching Discovery.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 1:22 am

I often think about what it would be like to live on a starship. I wonder about the impact of living without natural daylight. I am accustomed to living in darker environments, as I keep the shades drawn and don't often use overhead lighting because it's too bright. But what effects would it have? Would artificial lighting intended to replace natural light, and the holodeck suffice at preventing seasonal affective disorder?

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 1:27 am

I think that in regards to that it might be similar to living on a (nuclear) submarine. Minus a holodeck of course.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 1:32 am

^ I wonder if those crewman have to pass psychological tests to serve on subs? With a 24th century starship, where the spaces are wide open, and they have a lot of technology and medical knowledge that we lack, there may be more they can do to help people compensate.

I toured a sub once and couldn't wait to get off. It was so cramped :eew: .

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 2:37 am

^ I wonder if those crewman have to pass psychological tests to serve on subs? With a 24th century starship, where the spaces are wide open, and they have a lot of technology and medical knowledge that we lack, there may be more they can do to help people compensate.

If I remember correctly astronauts are subjected to a psychological evaluation, so I can imagine that those serving on submarines are subjected to a similar battery of tests. And about those starships, we do not really know how they will designed in real life. Alto it is nice to speculate about what kind of technologies there are in the future to help deal with issues like cabin fever.

Coming back to the holodeck (as a potential (partial) solution), I can not help to think about the book Blindsight where advanced VR-technology actually hampered the space program, because people could just use VR to simulate the experience of various space exploration scenarios.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 4:23 am

I often think about what it would be like to live on a starship. I wonder about the impact of living without natural daylight. I am accustomed to living in darker environments, as I keep the shades drawn and don't often use overhead lighting because it's too bright. But what effects would it have? Would artificial lighting intended to replace natural light, and the holodeck suffice at preventing seasonal affective disorder?

I have total faith in human ingenuity, in something like this, as I was in regards to the covid vaccine. 8)

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 1:14 am

Sigbold wrote:

If I remember correctly astronauts are subjected to a psychological evaluation, so I can imagine that those serving on submarines are subjected to a similar battery of tests. And about those starships, we do not really know how they will designed in real life. Alto it is nice to speculate about what kind of technologies there are in the future to help deal with issues like cabin fever.

Coming back to the holodeck (as a potential (partial) solution), I can not help to think about the book Blindsight where advanced VR-technology actually hampered the space program, because people could just use VR to simulate the experience of various space exploration scenarios.

I would be curious to hear from the creators or others involved, if they ever had any ideas on how this might've been addressed.

I would speculate that there is an initial adaption period, but that special artificial lighting and medical interventions (like mood stabilizers) could help as well.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 4:57 am

Quite a lot
...I hope 8O

It would seem he's betting on you getting sick of me, and returning without needing to negotiate a ransom :P .

I wouldn't dare say "I would never get sick of you", because Fey is a mod. :mrgreen:

If you ever need/want to adopt another father, keep me in mind. ;)