Page 5 of 39 [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 7:45 am

EzraS wrote:
I like the original series and first 6 movies best. I've watched those more often than the rest. Haven't watched discovery yet. If darmok likes it it must be ok.

Well, I'm a hardcore Trekkie, so I like all Star Trek, whether it's good or not. :D Discovery has some very good parts. The visuals are excellent (except the spinning ship; there was a much better way they could have done that). The lead, Burnham, was very well done right from the start -- in a lot of the other series it has taken quite a while for the characters to become defined. The captains/admirals are pretty good. Gratuitous gay couple is gratuitous. The Klingon religion theme is excellent -- definitely movie quality ideas there, but I'm not sure the writers will be up to it. And I'm sorry to say ... space mycelium? Really? That's one dumb idea. It might be salvageable, but at the moment, it's dumb.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 2:59 pm

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 7:17 pm

The cast has been chosen for the next ST series.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 12:46 am

Interesting concept: A series of 15-minute "Short Treks" is being produced to accompany the current Star Trek: Discovery series. I just watched the first one called "Runaway." Here's some background on the project:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... hort_Treks

The ST universe has never really produced something like this before. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

There Are Four Lights!

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 8:03 am

Darmok wrote:
The cast has been chosen for the next ST series.

Ohhhh... Chekov is a Russian Blue! Nice touch!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:58 am

Darmok wrote:
Interesting concept: A series of 15-minute "Short Treks" is being produced to accompany the current Star Trek: Discovery series. I just watched the first one called "Runaway." Here's some background on the project:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... hort_Treks

The ST universe has never really produced something like this before. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

There Are Four Lights!

EventualZen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Oct 2018, 5:58 pm

Does anyone want to watch TOS or DS9 with me? They're both on Netflix at the moment. I've just finished watching TNG. We can rate each episode and compare notes.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 5:47 pm

OMG, it's Shatner Claus! This is the coolest thing ever! :D

There Are Four Lights!

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 3:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
how many other people here have seen Harlan Ellison's original screen treatment of "city on the edge of forever"?

I have, and I've also seen the comic book series that Harlan Ellison personally approved that displays it.

It's a fine effort, although I'll never be able to displace my feelings about the ST episode, which I regard as a classic.

As I understand it, Yeoman Rand was already gone or about to be, so that element alone wouldn't have worked. The dope addict angle could have been good, but in a 48-minute episode, the treatment would have been shallow. They could have made it a double episode, as they did with Menagerie/The Cage. I really thought that Ellison's treatment of Rodent was far better, though. Rather than just an aimless drunken bum, in Ellison's version he was a maimed World War I veteran. However, I don't like the implication that in either case that his death wouldn't have changed history. That's not just a matter of being charitable. To me, any change, no matter how small, is going to have an outcome sometime later down the timeline. Of course, adopting that approach would negate the whole point of trying to reverse whatever McCoy/Dope Addict did. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 3:23 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
how many other people here have seen Harlan Ellison's original screen treatment of "city on the edge of forever"?

I have, and I've also seen the comic book series that Harlan Ellison personally approved that displays it. It's a fine effort, although I'll never be able to displace my feelings about the ST episode, which I regard as a classic. As I understand it, Yeoman Rand was already gone or about to be, so that element alone wouldn't have worked. The dope addict angle could have been good, but in a 48-minute episode, the treatment would have been shallow. They could have made it a double episode, as they did with Menagerie/The Cage. I really thought that Ellison's treatment of Rodent was far better, though. Rather than just an aimless drunken bum, in Ellison's version he was a maimed World War I veteran. However, I don't like the implication that in either case that his death wouldn't have changed history. That's not just a matter of being charitable. To me, any change, no matter how small, is going to have an outcome sometime later down the timeline. Of course, adopting that approach would negate the whole point of trying to reverse whatever McCoy/Dope Addict did. 8)

they had to recognize that in America at the time, 6th grade level was considered the average public comprehension level so they hadda adapt the story to fit within both the limits of American comprehension as well as network budget limits, the episode as originally written would have used up the whole year's budget. somebody should make a mini-series based on it sometime.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 9:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I have, and I've also seen the comic book series that Harlan Ellison personally approved that displays it. It's a fine effort, although I'll never be able to displace my feelings about the ST episode, which I regard as a classic. As I understand it, Yeoman Rand was already gone or about to be, so that element alone wouldn't have worked. The dope addict angle could have been good, but in a 48-minute episode, the treatment would have been shallow. They could have made it a double episode, as they did with Menagerie/The Cage. I really thought that Ellison's treatment of Rodent was far better, though. Rather than just an aimless drunken bum, in Ellison's version he was a maimed World War I veteran. However, I don't like the implication that in either case that his death wouldn't have changed history. That's not just a matter of being charitable. To me, any change, no matter how small, is going to have an outcome sometime later down the timeline. Of course, adopting that approach would negate the whole point of trying to reverse whatever McCoy/Dope Addict did. 8)

they had to recognize that in America at the time, 6th grade level was considered the average public comprehension level so they hadda adapt the story to fit within both the limits of American comprehension as well as network budget limits, the episode as originally written would have used up the whole year's budget. somebody should make a mini-series based on it sometime.

A miniseries using the Harlan Ellison script? That's a great idea!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 12:50 am

^^^ :idea: if they could do it for "the handmaid's tale" and "the man in the high castle," Ellison should be next on the list, I wonder why more of his stuff hasn't been made into visual entertainment?

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 6:33 am

I'm Starting a Star Trek Marathon. I am going to Watch the Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager, in that order. Thanks to my local library, I can. I never really paid attention to them before, just the movies, but now I will. I am nearing completion of Season 1 one the Original and I am already hooked.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 6:49 am

I should watch "city on the edge of forever" again."

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 5:25 pm

Out of the reboot films so far (and I'm probably in the minority on this), Star Trek Beyond was very much a great improvement over Star Trek Into Darkness which IMO, was just a rehash of The Wrath Of Khan despite great cast performances.

Even though Benedict Cumberbatch was terrific as Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness, nobody IMO will ever be as good as Ricardo Montalban.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 6:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^ :idea: if they could do it for "the handmaid's tale" and "the man in the high castle," Ellison should be next on the list, I wonder why more of his stuff hasn't been made into visual entertainment?

I think that some of his best, like I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream would be really difficult to portray on the screen, so that's part of the reason. But I suspect that Hollywood's formulaic and profit-centered approach to film/TV is probably an even bigger factor. There's a wealth of unused material out there.

Here's a thought concerning the original City as envisioned by Ellison, maybe a fan-based treatment along the lines of Star Trek Continues could work.