An unexpected horror of American Horror Story Season One

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 6:28 am

Does anyone find the way Constance speaks to her Downs' syndrome daughter absolutely horrible?

It's like she only has conditional love for her.

She tells her "Well you're not a pretty lady" when she says she wants to be one for Halloween. Then she gets her a mask out of 'kindness' so 'for one night only' she can be a pretty lady. When she dies, she goes to the mortuary and puts makeup onto her.

I think it's absolutely horrible. She should be telling her that although she looks different to other girls, she is still beautiful. That beauty is an internal thing. She should be letting her go to the grave without makeup on. Esp since (I'm not all the way through yet) I think they're ghosts so it has actual consequences the kid will know about.

Now of course it's a horror series but I wonder if we're meant to react with sympathy or with horror for the way she treats her? Cos to me it's absolutely horrible a mother would feed into a daughter's insecurities like that, esp if it's to do with disability. Even if she was just a normal, non Down's Syndrome ugly little girl, the mother shouldn't be telling her that. And that's not the case - she's a regular looking Down's Syndrome kid.

No wonder the kid is so obsessed with being a 'pretty girl' if these are the messages her mother is feeding her with. Mothers should be telling all their kids they're nice looking and that looks aren't the main thing anyway. They should be making them feel like 'enough'. Constance doesn't do that. It makes me sad and angry how she treats her.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 5:25 pm

Of course it's terrible how Constance treats her daughter. It's because Constance is a terrible person.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2020, 1:31 am

Yeah Constance is supposed to be terrible. Brilliant acting by Jessica Lange who does a phenomenal job in each of her seasons.