Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GreySavoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2019, 5:19 pm

Anyone else a new fan to or otherwise enjoying watching Star Trek: Discovery?

I've been a long time fan of ST. TNG is my ultimate, for what I would consider to be classic ST, with Voyager and DS9 as close seconds.

I realize Discovery is "not your parents' Star Trek". However, I am thoroughly enjoying the diversity of representation as well as the adaptations to more classic ST themes. As a mycophile, I also find myself giddily entertained by the premise of a vast network of interstellar, intergalactic, and interdimensional mycelium, even if the explanatory science is best described as [technobabble].

With trying to avoid any spoilers, I enjoyed the Klingon-centric story line and have just started Season 2. I'm excited to see how that unfolds. I am loving that ST continues to be brought to and reinvented by newer generations.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 3:11 pm

I've watched all of the first two seasons and I really think it is a fantastic show. Really within the first few episodes I was blown away by the quality of the visuals - I mean it was feature film type stuff - really liked the way they did the Klingons this time around too. The only slight flaw I can say is that I don't like the way there are some minor characters that are on screen enough and have enough dialog that you want to know more about them, but with one or two exceptions, so far the show hasn't ever focused on them enough to ever feel like you know them.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2019, 12:14 am

I have to be honest, as a Physics nerd I got turned off by Discovery story idea of including a mycowarp network that allows instant travel. It just did not seem plausible to me, or nerdy in that math / physicsy way involving warp numbers and plasma coils and such. Too much of a stretch...

I also did not like that they had that poor beast get tortured by any Star Fleet officer, even from a bad captain. It did not seem like Star Fleet to me.

I wish they kept the story so that she never had mutineed and learned from the Shenzhou Captain. The Klingons don't make sense to me either. It is so out of canon with TOS. Those Klingons cared to keep dead bodies about, against ST: TNG canon where it seemed specific about how Klingons don't give two craps about a dead Klingon body. Get rid of it. They are Anochronistic Atheistic Deicidalists with Empire in the Hearts. In Discovery they seemed more like really ugly, and really mentally defeated, Royalists from some epoch in human history. Disappointing.

I have heard complaints too about the later portrayal of Spock, which is disheartening. I think I will have to give the show another shot because I got hooked on The Orville and gave up on Discovery for the moment. Will have to watch though because it has Spock, soooo hooooot.

Peace.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 12:35 am

I like all Star Trek. :D

When will the new season of Discovery be starting up?

There Are Four Lights!

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2019, 10:09 am

I like all good ST. Where is the thread on ST: Picard? I should go there and leave it at that. The graphics in Discovery are pretty amazing though.

GreySavoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2019, 7:50 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
The only slight flaw I can say is that I don't like the way there are some minor characters that are on screen enough and have enough dialog that you want to know more about them, but with one or two exceptions, so far the show hasn't ever focused on them enough to ever feel like you know them.

I can see that. I hope that that will mean that there's a bevy of rich material for many more seasons and possible spin-offs.

Darmok - I love your user name and your signature quote. Quality episode references for sure.

tensordyne wrote:
I have to be honest, as a Physics nerd I got turned off by Discovery story idea of including a mycowarp network that allows instant travel. It just did not seem plausible to me, or nerdy in that math / physicsy way involving warp numbers and plasma coils and such. Too much of a stretch...

I can definitely understand this. Not that I think the comparison is quite the same, but as a layman lover of physics/math, whenever a movie like Armageddon comes up, I want to chuck my TV out the window.

tensordyne wrote:
I also did not like that they had that poor beast get tortured by any Star Fleet officer, even from a bad captain. It did not seem like Star Fleet to me.

I wish they kept the story so that she never had mutineed and learned from the Shenzhou Captain. The Klingons don't make sense to me either. It is so out of canon with TOS. Those Klingons cared to keep dead bodies about, against ST: TNG canon where it seemed specific about how Klingons don't give two craps about a dead Klingon body. Get rid of it. They are Anochronistic Atheistic Deicidalists with Empire in the Hearts. In Discovery they seemed more like really ugly, and really mentally defeated, Royalists from some epoch in human history. Disappointing.

It definitely gets its hands dirtier. There's a little more grit and pulling into the murkier depths of the humanoid behavior and its psyche. I actually like the exploration of this take, as I think it makes the triumphs of compassion and justice more laudable. Consequence, shame, failure are endemic to human existence. I feel like this version of ST embraces it more.

The Klingons took me a bit too. For me, when I took the feeling and examined it, I think it was the loss of familiarity. They were definitely more alien, more raw in their pursuit of violence. For myself, I didn't mind it. I like that it's taking my mind in a new direction, but don't feel that it was disrespectful to their overall presentation.

tensordyne wrote:
I have heard complaints too about the later portrayal of Spock, which is disheartening. I think I will have to give the show another shot because I got hooked on The Orville and gave up on Discovery for the moment. Will have to watch though because it has Spock, soooo hooooot.

Spock is still deep in his logic. I don't want to give any spoilers here, but I do like the portrayal of him so far. I feel like he gets to explore his humanity a little more, but I've only just really gotten into the episodes where he's more heavily featured.

Reminds me that I definitely need to check out the Orville. I've heard good things about it.

GreySavoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2019, 7:52 pm

tensordyne wrote:
I like all good ST. Where is the thread on ST: Picard? I should go there and leave it at that. The graphics in Discovery are pretty amazing though.

I am stoked for this. Though, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about 7 of 9 yet. Not that I didn't like her character, just an interesting juxtaposition.