Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 3:11 pm

What do you think of the show?

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 3:30 pm

I like the show. I feel Sam may not be the most realistic character they could have created. He seems like they tried to throw all traits into one aspie.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 7:42 pm

CarlM wrote:
I like the show. I feel Sam may not be the most realistic character they could have created. He seems like they tried to throw all traits into one aspie.

I just watched 20 min. of S01E01. I identified with Sam, mainly when he was on the bus and laughing at some private thought. When he was walking down the hallway at school, painful memories came back to me. Had to turn it off and watch "Adventure Time" instead. :lol:

I agree he is rather... extra. Like Aspy x 2. Is the whole show just about him being an Aspy?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 9:39 pm

Sam is the central character and is autistic, but no, the show doesn't just revolve around him. Each member of his family has their own story arc independent of Sam.

I preferred the second season the best. 3rd season was a disappointment to me.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 1:35 am

Magna wrote:
Sam is the central character and is autistic, but no, the show doesn't just revolve around him. Each member of his family has their own story arc independent of Sam.

I preferred the second season the best. 3rd season was a disappointment to me.

His family seems like neurotypical x 2, also, making for high contrast. I don't know about that, in my family, my parents were not quite so neurotypical. Isn't this thing hereditary?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 2:31 pm

^ Keep watching. Sam's mother Elsa seems to exhibit some ASD traits to me. I'm pretty sure they were planning on doing one more season (4th) pre-covid. Who knows now, but I wonder if in the 4th season Elsa gets assessed and is found to have high functioning ASD.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 4:27 pm

Magna wrote:
^ Keep watching. Sam's mother Elsa seems to exhibit some ASD traits to me. I'm pretty sure they were planning on doing one more season (4th) pre-covid. Who knows now, but I wonder if in the 4th season Elsa gets assessed and is found to have high functioning ASD.

Wait a minute, Sam's the HFA. Am I mistaken? I had to turn the show off because him laughing on the bus at a private joke reminded me of myself TOO much. I even did the bit where he explained to a startled onlooker why he was laughing--and they still did not understand. :lol: At least now I've learnt not to explain, and I also usually succeed in NOT laughing so others can hear. Or if I do, a quick stare at my phone offers an easy explanation.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 4:28 pm

Gentleman Argentum wrote:
Magna wrote:

Wait a minute, Sam's the HFA. Am I mistaken? I had to turn the show off because him laughing on the bus at a private joke reminded me of myself TOO much. I even did the bit where he explained to a startled onlooker why he was laughing--and they still did not understand. :lol: At least now I've learnt not to explain, and I also usually succeed in NOT laughing so others can hear. Or if I do, a quick stare at my phone offers an easy explanation.

Yes, the main character Sam is HFA.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2020, 10:02 pm

I thought the first season was pretty bad...can't believe I kept watching, but I wanted to support the show I guess.

I thought the second season was excellent...huge improvement across the board.

The third season was just kinda....there.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 2:39 am

LookWhoItIs wrote:
I thought the first season was pretty bad...can't believe I kept watching, but I wanted to support the show I guess.

I thought the second season was excellent...huge improvement across the board.

The third season was just kinda....there.

I am sticking with it. I liked the first show. I can sort of see Elsa as Aspy. It is foreshadowed even in the first show.

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2020, 5:07 pm

Yeah it's okey... I feel like he's being a bit of an extreme case of AS. And Paige his girlfriend is annyoing af. I can't stand her.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2020, 11:19 pm

LunaticCentruroides wrote:
Yeah it's okey... I feel like he's being a bit of an extreme case of AS. And Paige his girlfriend is annyoing af. I can't stand her.

I think it's ridiculously unrealistic how easily Sam gets attractive women. It's like the writers are trying to live vicariously through him.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 5:06 am

LookWhoItIs wrote:

I think it's ridiculously unrealistic how easily Sam gets attractive women. It's like the writers are trying to live vicariously through him.

:lol: I thought the same thing. First episode when he bags this foxy chick, I was like, what? how? Is she blind?

Nice fantasy, though.

I think TV shows in general stray far away from realism. Every show is like a fantasy, a more perfect version of reality, maybe that's why we tune in?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 5:11 am

I have not seen the programme, but doesn't everyone get funny thoughts and laugh?

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2020, 10:49 am

LookWhoItIs wrote:

Yes, that might be the case as well. That's what I don't like about many shows/movies. Just unrealistic...

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 11:37 am

LookWhoItIs wrote:

Paige definitely has her own issues. I suspect BPD. She is clearly a basket case by the end of S3. Ironically, Sam doesn't really seem to understand her well enough to suspect there's a problem. Maybe that's why she wants to be with him, all the NT guys she was with before (and it seems clear she's been with guys before) probably dumped her or basically just used her. If they have an S4 this may be addressed.