Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 11:48 am

Anyone here watch this black and white classic? I'm not one for Westerns but as far as Old Westerns go this one was one of a kind. I found it very sad in the end when the town mob hanged three innocent men only to learn that they were actually innocent. The scene where the main character reads a letter that one of the three men wrote to his wife always gives me goosebumps.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 9:53 pm

Never saw the movie or read the short story it was based on. But my old professor of History of the American West had made mention of it when talking about vigilante violence on the western frontier.
My dad had passed a story onto me, which his father had told him, about the lynching of a horse thief named Charley Watson, in rural eastern Washington by the local vigilance committee. This wasn't far from where my dad's side of the family resided at the time. Mrs. Watson, thinking Charley was taking awfully long outside when some of the neighbors came by to talk to him, went outside to find him swinging from a tree branch.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 1:04 am

Might as well shut this topic down too. Because "Oooh we can't like classic movies because they're all so racist and full of white people" says the politically correct police. :roll:

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 1:07 am

There can't be too many Walter Van Tilberg Clark nuts hanging out on an Aspie board at 1am, to be fair :jester:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Aug 2020, 2:37 am

Locked on request.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>