Are people being double-standard-ish on the movie Cuties?

Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 11:29 pm

I guess it's because with those other things they feel a child was not exploited and that is where some people draw the line?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 11:39 pm

I am sure people are also against these dances too these young girls do. Just look at the fuss about Toddlers & Tiara.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 11:40 pm

ironpony wrote:
I guess it's because with those other things they feel a child was not exploited and that is where some people draw the line?

The consent process for child actors in cinema or children in artwork is the same regardless of medium. The parents consented to their children participating. Where is that exploitation?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 11:42 pm

I thought the exploitation, was in the fact that the parents decided for them, when they were too young to decide for themselves, and that was the issue?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 11:42 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I am sure people are also against these dances too these young girls do. Just look at the fuss about Toddlers & Tiara.

Where exactly is the line drawn? the director of this movie is reflecting on her own life, I imagine she must be puzzled how a semi-biographical fiction can draw so much rage?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 11:43 pm

ironpony wrote:
I thought the exploitation, was in the fact that the parents decided for them, when they were too young to decide for themselves, and that was the issue?

exploited by parents? so does that mean every child actor is exploited based on your logic

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 7:29 am

No I don't.

I was just trying to put myself in the mind set of so many people offended by this movie. Perhaps those people think it's okay for parents to put their kids in certain things and it's not exploiting them, but twirking and showing a breast on camera is exploiting them in comparison to other things, they feel? If that is what happens in the movie, I am just going by what I read.

Also, another thing is, for people to say the 'right' are being hypocritical because they denounce the left for shutting down art, and now the right is trying to shut down art, who is it that is saying that the people who want to cancel this movie are all on the right?

Did they say there were right wing people themselves, or how do you tell if the people wanting to cancel it, are right or left?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 12:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

exploited by parents? so does that mean every child actor is exploited based on your logic

Mara Wilson has that logic on a lot of stuff. She was lucky enough to choose to do acting herself and be respected when she got older and decided against it. But she says a lot of kids in the industry are forced into it by parents.

Even so, there's a difference between pushy parents forcing a kid to act and parents forcing a kid to twerk on camera.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 12:16 pm

ironpony wrote:
But this is the problem, of knowing what the movie consists of because everyone is refusing to watch it. All we have to go on is conjecture and incomplete hearsay, so how do we know how bad the movie is, if no one is going to watch it?

It's better that someone who wasn't molested watches it then.
Even then I wouldn't push someone to watch it and have it on their hard drive.

Someone who isn't a nonce, wasn't molested and actually wants to watch it should be the one to judge.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 5:45 pm

Oh okay. Well since Netflix now seems to be facing indictment charges from the link that was posted before, what is the worst Netflix is looking at if the charges go all the way and they are found guilty? Are they looking at paying a fine, or surrendering their business for shut down, or at worst, jail time for child sexual exploitation?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 10:22 pm

ironpony wrote:
Did they say there were right wing people themselves, or how do you tell if the people wanting to cancel it, are right or left?

I think there is a mix across the political spectrum. This issue was made political by people on both sides of politics.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 10:30 pm

KT67 wrote:
Mara Wilson has that logic on a lot of stuff. She was lucky enough to choose to do acting herself and be respected when she got older and decided against it. But she says a lot of kids in the industry are forced into it by parents.

Even so, there's a difference between pushy parents forcing a kid to act and parents forcing a kid to twerk on camera.

I don't dispute that parents push their children. There is however a glaring issue that
1. The movie was not created by a pedophile or somebody promoting pedophilia as Ted Cruz claimed
2. The parents consented to having their kids twerk on the series
3. The Sundance film festival thought the movie was good enough to get an award
4. Movie critics watched the movie in the US and none of them drew attention to the portrayal of the children
5. The movie was shown in Senegal,. France, Germany and this issue was never raised.

In terms of point 5 it illustrates a cross-cultural issue as to how the public responds to children in cinema and how conservatives in the US seem to be the only ones globally who have decided to attack this show.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 2:27 am

Oh okay, but is everyone who is attacking the movie saying they are conservative? Or how do we know they all are?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 4:36 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but is everyone who is attacking the movie saying they are conservative? Or how do we know they all are?

I have checked the media and it seems to high profile republicans (Cruz) and right wing media trolls but there's also mommy groups who are a mix of backgrounds.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 4:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
KT67 wrote:

2. The parents consented to having their kids twerk on the series

Parents shouldn't be allowed to consent to that.

It will be interesting how it plays out when the kids are adults.

There's been worse in the past. A mother allowed for her daughter to 'star' in a book produced by Playboy as a topless 14 yo model alongside adult women who were in sexual photographs. When the kid came of age, she sued the mother. And lost. Apparently it was 'for artistic purposes' despite the book marketing itself as erotic.

Not all parents have good intentions. Some are motivated by money, or even worse.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 7:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I have checked the media and it seems to high profile republicans (Cruz) and right wing media trolls but there's also mommy groups who are a mix of backgrounds.

oh okay, but why would the left be more open to parents exploring their children in a sexual or dirty fashion on camera for movie purposes though compared to the right?

I also feel that if this is the case, that the left are perhaps being hypocritical about this, because the movie is written and directed by a black female, and I feel it if it were written and directed by a white male for example, the left would crap all over it, so is it perhaps a double standard of the left, if that's the case?