Page 1 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 1:26 am

So as most of you know, my obsession is Harry Potter. The sixth book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince comes out 16th of July 2005. The book covers were released today.

The US cover:

The British cover:

I know there are other Harry Potter fans out there. So what do you think? Any theories?

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 1:38 am

Those glasses (Dumbledore's) are a lot more like I imagined them then the ones in the movies.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2005, 1:43 am

WHEEE! Have you seen the adult's version cover? That may have a better "clue" on it, but I won't tell you what's on it unless you ask, just in case.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 2:02 am

queerpuppy wrote:
WHEEE! Have you seen the adult's version cover? That may have a better "clue" on it, but I won't tell you what's on it unless you ask, just in case.

Yes, I did. The adult cover makes me think that Harry passed his OWLs in potions. Haha, he has to spend another year with Snape. Poor bugger. :lol:

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2005, 3:37 am

the English cover scares me...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 6:12 am

We'll be getting the English cover, yay!

Aren't those glasses the same as the ones in the movies?

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2005, 7:16 am

The book on the adult cover edition is advanced arithmancy, and Hermione is the only one of the three that is taking arithmancy, I think, so Hermione must feature highly. I hope she's not killed off.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 7:38 am

hehe, I like Harry Potter, too, but my sister(14) adores it!! She's NT and Harry Potter is as close to an obsession as she'll ever get. Our favorite Harry Potter site is http://www.veritaserum.com have you been there?

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2005, 12:58 pm

Does anybody know why the marketing for the book, in terms of the cover illustration, is so different between the UK and US? The US cover looks more computer generated and polished, whereas the UK addition looks like someone actually drew it by hand. I am not saying one is better than the other, I am just wondering why.

To me, Harry appears older in the American version, than the British.

I know they have to publish Brit-English/Amer-English versions, for obvious language reasons, i.e. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone v. Socerer's Stone. Although I myself read British Crime novels and I just figure out the slang and different terminology on my own...I know other people don't do that.

Tallgirl.

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2005, 1:05 pm

I like the adult cover version, with the Potions book, but I think I would still buy the Kid's (?) version over the adult, b/c I like the colors better. I didn't know they made adult cover versions, my NT husband would probably be happier with that.

Tallgirl.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 1:14 pm

I think these covers don't give as much away about the stories as the others, especially the Goblet of Fire one. Looks cool, anyway.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2005, 1:18 pm

Quote:
language reasons, i.e. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone v. Socerer's Stone.

I don't understand why they had to change that, as the philosopher's stone, historically (in alchemy), was a stone that produced the elixir of life - J.K. Rowling didn't invent that. Calling it a sorcerer's stone makes it something entirely different.

Quote:
the UK addition looks like someone actually drew it by hand

Someone did! The same guy that drew the cover of "HP + the Order of the Phoenix". I also wonder why they feel US and UK audiences need different front covers.

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2005, 1:24 pm

Quote:
I don't understand why they had to change that, as the philosopher's stone, historically (in alchemy), was a stone that produced the elixir of life - J.K. Rowling didn't invent that. Calling it a sorcerer's stone makes it something entirely different.

I agree with you on that point, but my brother's best friend, whose father is English, has the UK versions and my brother tried to read one, but he said the different slang styles, etc. interrupted the story for him, b/c he had to keep IMing is friend to get interpretations from him. So at least for my 14 year old brother, the UK versions are harder to enjoy. My brother is as American-centric as it gets.

Tallgirl.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 1:56 pm

I don't really like Hermione, But I suppose I don't really want her killed off because it would seem weird as they do heaps together in all the other books.

I was pretty annoyed when they killed off my fav character in the last book, so it can't really get any worse.

The actual books are different? I'm glad we get the UK version, as I probably wouldn't bother to read it if it was the US version.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 4:25 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Aren't those glasses the same as the ones in the movies?

Yeah I just found a picture, they are the same. For some reason I remembered the movie ones much different than they are! :?

Nicole
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2005, 7:28 pm

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HARRY POTTER. I HAVE READ ALL THE BOOKS TWICE. DOES ANY ONE AGREE THAT THE GOBLET OF FIRE IS BY FAR THE BEST HARRY POTTER BOOK SO FAR? I LOVE IT, HARRY REALY KICKED ASS IN THAT BOOK. ALSO, AS COOL AS THE THIRD MOVIE WAS, IT SEEMED TO LEAVE OUT A LOT OF DETAILS UNLIKE THE FIRST AND SECOND MOVIE. THAT BUGGED ME. SORRY IF YOU HAVE ALL DISCUSSED THESE TOPICS BEFORE BUT I AM NEW TO THIS WEBSITE.