Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Aug 2021, 5:30 pm

Did anyone else ever watch the channel back in the 90s or '00s?

I remember being an adolescent and staying up late to watch whatever movie was on. It was a cultural experience to be exposed to independent films. Prior, I neither knew nor cared for the difference between an indie film and a Hollywood film.

The more I watched IFC, the more I appreciated art in cinema. I especially enjoyed how independent filmmakers cared more about telling a story than making a profit. IFC strongly believed in this and air films in their entirety uncut, unedited, and uncensored.

All that changed in 2010 when they sold out by doing commercial interruptions. Then they started censoring their programs, which only added insult to injury. Finally, nowadays, they show a lot of Hollywood films and old tv shows. It's no longer about indie films like it once was.

I lost all respect for IFC, and I missed the days when it was great! Who else is with me on that?

Jib's Medium

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 5:09 am

Absolutely! Since, they've stopped showing actual independent movies, and have gone mainstream. :cry: But at least they've been releasing some fairly decent movies from their own studio, since then.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 5:15 am

Seconded!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 2:49 pm

@ OP: What are great IFC films before 2010 worth watching?