The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Page 2 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 7:43 pm

Mikah wrote:
And.... it's terrible. Who'd have thought.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... Power.html

Turkey is not the word. No turkey, however bloated and stupid, could ever be big enough to convey the mesmerising awfulness of Amazon's billion dollar Tolkien epic.

This is a disaster dragon – plucked, spatchcocked, with a tankerload of Paxo stuffed up its fundament, roasted and served with soggy sprouts.

The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power (Amazon Prime) is so staggeringly bad, it's hilarious. Everything about it is ill-judged to a spectacular extreme.

The cliche-laden script, the dire acting, the leaden pace, the sheer inconsistency and confusion as it lurches between styles – where do we start?

There were a lot of reviews below that article that were more positive. Although the ones with a 5 star rating system, still only gave it 3.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2022, 2:01 am

enz wrote:
https://www.westernjournal.com/amazons-lord-rings-show-diverse-cast-black-asian-pacific-islander-hobbits-actor/

I think diversity is usually a good thing but this is a little forced.

Inclusion is relevant now but might not need to be relevant in 30 years time. Lord of the rings doesn’t need 2021 values placed on it. It’s stood the test of time on its own

as a POC (piece of chocolate :wink: ) I also think its important to keep inclusion, but it is going to look odd, i mean where would they have come from? in this case, i think an entire group of either should have be written in. to me, it just looks it's basically celtic, welsh, scottish sort of territory and yes other ethnicities live there...i'm going in circles I don't know what to think :lol:

enz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 11:35 pm

I'm fine with the black elves, dwarves and harfoot. I'd give this tv show a 7/10 so far I don't take it too seriously, its still entertaining.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 4:37 am

Another review, in musical form. Hehehehe.

https://soundcloud.com/john-bradley-298 ... s-of-power

To the tune of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire"

Power is a dangerous thing
and it makes our Devil's Ring.
Fooled by Amazon,
I turned on the Rings of Power.

I tuned in to the Devil's Rings of Power,
it made me mad and I wasted an hour,
'cos the stupid burns...

The Rings of Power
The Rings of Power

Don't tune in to the ret*d Rings of Power.
It's so damn bad, that you'll need a shower.
They never learn...

The Rings of Power
The Rings of Power

Loved those Elven girls,
and dreamed of Silmarils.
I waited so damn long,
then it all went wrong.

Don't tune in to the Devil's Rings of Power.
It'll bring you down and your soul devour,
'cos there's no returns...

The Rings of Power
The Rings of Power

Don't tune in to the ret*d Rings of Power.
It'll make you mad and you'll waste an hour.
As the stupid burns...

The Rings of Power
The Rings of Power

And it burns burns burns...

The Rings of Power
The Rings of Power
The Rings of Power

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 4:48 am

I watch Bridgerton and The Great, and they have colourblind casting i.e. diverse ethnic actors in every role. At first it was a surprise, but now I genuinely don't notice or care. Some characters are white, some are Black, some Asian etc. People come in all shapes and sizes. It's Life.

In the past, the ethnic actors were restricted to the roles of servants, minor characters etc. That isn't fair so it's nice to see a more fair system of casting now. :star:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 4:49 am

KitLily wrote:
I watch Bridgerton and The Great, and they have colourblind casting i.e. diverse ethnic actors in every role. At first it was a surprise, but now I genuinely don't notice or care. Some characters are white, some are Black, some Asian etc. People come in all shapes and sizes. It's Life.:

It probably helps the actors are all hot

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 4:52 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I watch Bridgerton and The Great, and they have colourblind casting i.e. diverse ethnic actors in every role. At first it was a surprise, but now I genuinely don't notice or care. Some characters are white, some are Black, some Asian etc. People come in all shapes and sizes. It's Life.:

Actors generally look like models these days. You don't see many normal-looking people much in films and TV shows, unfortunately.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 4:59 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I'm pretty much a Tolkien geek going back to 1975, and I don't have a problem with them creating new characters and having actors who are POC playing them. I'm not expecting this to be entirely faithful to Tolkien's writings. The Lord of the Rings movies weren't and the Hobbit movies were even worse when it came to that. I'm hoping like those, it will have some really cool depictions that really are part of the story (like when Gandalf fought the Balrog) and that will be good enough for me. I'll probably wait until it concludes, and if it looks like it's worth it, I'll get at least a one month subscription to Amazon Prime. I can watch the Top Gun sequel on that as well.

I'm on the same page. I've watched the first two episodes on prime. I have mixed feelings. The portrayal of Galadriel as the main protagonist leading the elves is a little difficult to swallow in terms of keeping with Tolkien's LOTR universe. Like the way Rey Skywalker kind of compromised George Lucas's star wars universe. I have no issue about the character but pushing them up as the main character just feels a little forced.

The black female dwarf and the black guy playing the elf are both good actors and I managed to buy into the characters, They come across as thespian actors with theatrical training. No issues there.

My only gripe is Lenny Henry playing a hobbit. I can't take him seriously :lol:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 3:40 am

https://arkhavencomics.com/2022/09/06/f ... -of-power/

The fundamental problem is that they don’t know how to make anything good. It’s like cotton candy, it looks big and smells great but once you take a bite the only thing you have in your mouth is empty sugary grit. If you are only trying to grind out pablum like summer tentpoles then that is good enough. Honestly, most fandoms really do only want that, just consume product and get excited for next project.

Problem.

Tolkien fans aren’t remotely like that. The magnitude of this disaster would have been manageable if they had just invented their own IP that kind of looked like Tolkien. But as it is, they put The Lord of the Rings label on this, so that was the standard they would have to meet.

Ha! Ha! Ha! (*gasp…wheez…gasp*) Ha! Ha! Ha! (*wipes eyes*)

Expecting Bad Reboot alumni J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay to meet that standard is like expecting Ariana Grande to win the Noble Prize for Physics. Theoretically possible… But not likely.

Tolkien fans have been arguing over the same five books for better than half a century. The body of scholarly work based on it is gigantic. It is the entire bedrock of modern fantasy. Every fantasy writer has to consciously adopt or reject the Lord of the Rings, but you can’t possibly ignore it. There are frequent and violent arguments over what exactly the Valar were. What was the nature of Tom Bombadil? How much of the legendarium was adopted from Celtic myth? This was not the kind of fandom that you can use as a base for a popcorn burner. And there was no way in hell a couple of graduates from the Bad Reboot school of non-writing were going to be able to fake their way through a five-year series. This project was doomed from its inception.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 7:20 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Actors generally look like models these days. You don't see many normal-looking people much in films and TV shows, unfortunately.

Unless they are funny

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 9:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Unless they are funny

Yes...the comedy sidekick etc.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 5:10 pm

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Unless they are funny

Yes...the comedy sidekick etc.

The one exception in the fantasy genre was "The Witcher" where the comedy sidekick named "The Bard" was a most handsome young man

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 8:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
The one exception in the fantasy genre was "The Witcher" where the comedy sidekick named "The Bard" was a most handsome young man

yes he is pretty handsome, but not compared to Henry Cavill :lol: :heart:

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 8:28 am

Even though the films were pretty good, namely LOTR and Hobbit Trilogy (although I do admit the Hobbit trilogy was flawed), I'd rather play the MMORPG Lord of the Rings Online and read the books anyday than watch this Rings of Power trash! :roll:

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 8:43 am

There are some actors from the LOTR Trilogy who are promoting against this kind of backlash:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/o ... 0ae7df8da8

TBH, this is starting to give me second thoughts on giving Rings of Power a try....

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 9:50 am