New trailer for Rings of Power Released

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 6:29 am

The new trailer for the Rings of Power has been released

Said to have a budget of 1 billion dollars for 5 seasons making it the most expensive TV series in history

Thoughts?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 12:49 am

The penis-shaped rocket of television series.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 1:08 am

shlaifu wrote:
The penis-shaped rocket of television series.

It's kind of weird how so many people on this forum follow sci fi TV series but have nothing to say about them? :lol:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 8:09 am

I'm looking forward to it. I like Tolkein's reality, generally, but it's kind of weird in that it's so rich and diverse and yet even in Tolkein's own hands it can sometimes be quite a dull place. I want the series to be good, I want to enjoy it, but I have quite a high bar for entertainment so we'll see. I hope they haven't forgotten to put a bit of humour in it - I struggle with series that take themselves too seriously and this series has potential for that I think.

What strikes me as interesting is that even though this doesn't, so far as I can tell, have anything to do with Peter Jackson, visually it seems very much of a piece with his Lord of the Rings/Hobbit films. It doesn't look like they're trying to stamp their own look on it, visually. On one hand that's probably smart as those movies are definitive, on the other hand it's a bit weird because there is plenty of scope to interpret Middle Earth differently.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 2:48 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I'm looking forward to it. I like Tolkein's reality, generally, but it's kind of weird in that it's so rich and diverse and yet even in Tolkein's own hands it can sometimes be quite a dull place. I want the series to be good, I want to enjoy it, but I have quite a high bar for entertainment so we'll see. I hope they haven't forgotten to put a bit of humour in it - I struggle with series that take themselves too seriously and this series has potential for that I think.

What strikes me as interesting is that even though this doesn't, so far as I can tell, have anything to do with Peter Jackson, visually it seems very much of a piece with his Lord of the Rings/Hobbit films. It doesn't look like they're trying to stamp their own look on it, visually. On one hand that's probably smart as those movies are definitive, on the other hand it's a bit weird because there is plenty of scope to interpret Middle Earth differently.

The visuals for Jackson's films were created by artists such as John Howe and Alan Lee, who were well known for thier Tolkien illustrations in calendars and books that came out before the movies. Their imagery has become so ingrained with Tolkien's world anything else would look wrong.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 3:00 am

There's a certain amount of griping about people of color playing elf and dwarf characters that probably don't appear in Tolkein's writings. Which especially in this day and age is ridiculous to carp about. The main characters in his writings are as Tolkien depicted them and that should be good enough.

This takes place in the "Second Age" of Middle Earth (whereas Lord of the Rings takes place in the Third Age). And as far as I know, Tolkien only pinned a sketchy outline of the events that took place in the Second Age, so the writer's of the show should have a lot of liberty in what all they come up with. I just hope this isn't another Xena/Hercules type of show.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 3:06 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The visuals for Jackson's films were created by artists such as John Howe and Alan Lee, who were well known for thier Tolkien illustrations in calendars and books that came out before the movies. Their imagery has become so ingrained with Tolkien's world anything else would look wrong.

It would look wrong for an older generation who have associated the artwork with Tolkein and not for the younger generation who will watch with unbiased eyes.

A lot of my idealised view of a science fiction world was influenced by the artwork of Geiger who was popular with James Cameron's and Ridley Scott movies (Alien, Blade Runner, Predator and Prometheus), That doesn't mean I wouldn't be impressed by another artist. It's like saying I only like Star Wars because of the music of John Williams. I quite happily associate Ludwig Goransson's music scores with Star wars even though he's a Johnny come lately to the Star Wars franchise.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 3:07 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
There's a certain amount of griping about people of color playing elf and dwarf characters that probably don't appear in Tolkein's writings. Which especially in this day and age is ridiculous to carp about. The main characters in his writings are as Tolkien depicted them and that should be good enough.

This takes place in the "Second Age" of Middle Earth (whereas Lord of the Rings takes place in the Third Age). And as far as I know, Tolkien only pinned a sketchy outline of the events that took place in the Second Age, so the writer's of the show should have a lot of liberty in what all they come up with. I just hope this isn't another Xena/Hercules type of show.

Agreed...it also happens in the Star wars universe

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 3:27 am

Another interesting aspect that those who aren't Tolkien geeks probably don't know, is that at the time the series takes place, the world was flat. It was made into a sphere shortly before the beginning of the Third Age.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 3:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

It would look wrong for an older generation who have associated the artwork with Tolkein and not for the younger generation who will watch with unbiased eyes.

What Tolkien movies have the younger generation been watching?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 7:10 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I'm talking about the new generation who watch ROP and they haven't seen LOTR or the Hobbit

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 7:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I'm talking about the new generation who watch ROP and they haven't seen LOTR or the Hobbit

Those are pretty popular movies still. And I think they wanted to appeal to the overall fan base. I can tell that much from what I've seen of it so far. The only newness I've seen so far is people of color playing parts, which does go against the northern western European setting of the stories. Tolkien intended it to be a mythology of Britain, since Britain didn't have one like Scandinavia etc.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 12:59 pm

I love the depiction of Laurelin and Telperion at 0:14 in the trailer. That alone gives me hope it won't be a turkey.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 5:10 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Those are pretty popular movies still. And I think they wanted to appeal to the overall fan base. I can tell that much from what I've seen of it so far. The only newness I've seen so far is people of color playing parts, which does go against the northern western European setting of the stories. Tolkien intended it to be a mythology of Britain, since Britain didn't have one like Scandinavia etc.

I agree they are still watchable, but for how long? Within some years the film quality is going to look dated. I noticed the writers/producers of the ROP have inserted a caveat the series is "based on Tolkien", I think fans need to understand the need for investors to get a return on their investment in the series so the casting might be a little broader to reflect the market they are trying to attract.

BTW in the Peter Jackson series of LOTR and the Hobbit have a look at the townsfolk, they recruited the extras from NZ and a keen eye will pick up Moari pacific islanders in the villages. The exceptions were the extras who played elvin and hobbits where they were more selective not to get any "ethnic" looking cast in the background.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 5:14 pm

I love the books and movies of LotR.

I really can’t imagine a time when they won’t be watchable. Then again, I’ve always enjoyed watching movies from the 40’s-60’s, so maybe I don’t know what future kids will be watching.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 5:18 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I really can’t imagine a time when they won’t be watchable. Then again, I’ve always enjoyed watching movies from the 40’s-60’s, so maybe I don’t know what future kids will be watching.

There will come a time when kids will only watch stuff made in the last 10 years. The problem here is we are all in an age group who grew up with LOTR etc so we are a little but biased toward the books and Peter Jackson productions.