Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 11:05 am

The 1960s film version of Spartacus was on TV last nite, and i gess since im actaully just usin this as an opportunity to pay tribute to the REAL Spartacus, this should probably be in the Politics forum, rather than the Entertainment forum, but what the hell, I decided to keep it in the Entertainment forum.

If anyone dosent no the story of Spartacus, he was a Roman slave who started an uprising, and allmost succeeded in winning freedom for himself, and all the other slaves in Rome. He could probably have given the same freedom to the slaves of the rest of the Roman Empire as well, IF he hadnt been betrayed by the merchants who were supposed to give them transport out of Italy.

I dont know how much of Hollywood's version of his final battle was true, and how much was made up for theatrical effect, but in the film, after the battle, there were only about 100 of Spartacuses men left, including himself, and there lives wood have been spared had they identified him, but as it was, they all claimed to BE him, and were all crucified because of it.

God bless the souls of those brave men who gave every breath in the name of freedom. Let it be an inspiration to us all.

One other thing - does anyone know if Spartacus actaully had a wife and kid, and they were able to win freedom, inderectly becos of his failed revolution? Becos if that parts true, then at leest SOMETHING will have come of it.

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2006, 9:33 am

In real life as opposed to reel life, Crassus had the entire Appian Way lined with the crucified followers of Spartacus. Just the men, I think; the women and children, if any, were simply re-sold. That was standard practice in those days --- you did NOT leave a rebellious male slave alive. Sorry.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 6:41 am

TheGreyBadger wrote:
In real life as opposed to reel life

:roll:

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>