Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2007, 1:47 pm

A little late, as it's already started, but today the Travel Channel's having an Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations marathon. Tony's cool, so tune in.

Later on, 6 PM or so (check your listings), they'll being airing the very touching Beirut episode that was nominated for an Emmy (if I heard correctly). They're also airing the great Ireland and Vietnam episodes too today, as well as Brazil, New York, Hong Kong, China, both India episodes and the memorable for the wrong reasons "Iceland" (mmmm, rotten, fermented shark!) episode. The "Korea" episode is on now.

They'll be aring other episodes at various times during the week, as they start the new season next week.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2007, 2:11 pm

I like his shows, he's had quite a lifetime of drugs, fights,excitement and such for a chef from NY.......The Beirut episode really was a tense to watch show, they were very lucky to get back home safely...I shall be watching this channel plust The Twilight Zone Marthon on Sci-Fi.....Happy New Year!!

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2007, 10:37 pm

Happy New Yearto you too. Glad there's someone else here who watches this very fine and exceptionally relevant show!

I like Tony (and yeah, all his fans liberally call him that) cos he is very much like people I've known IRL who I've admired for their life experiences and down-to-earth attitude. It always seems like it's that kind of person - someone who's been around enough to know the world is full of a great diversity of human beings - who are teh only ones really able to take people as they are and respect them no matter what.

I also like his crankiness and his ability to be self-depreciating at the right time. :wink:

Amarantha
Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2007, 11:59 pm

I love me some Tony :) My brother had "French cookbooks" on his Christmas wishlist, so I got him the Les Halles Cookbook.

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2008, 4:32 pm

Les Halles Cookbook is a most excellant book. I have a couple of other French cookbooks that are ridiculously impratical. Les Halles is the only French cookbook I've seen that 1) makes French cooking accessible to the contemporary home cook and 2) doesn't patronize the contemporary home cook by teaching you how to make something like French cuisine, but really isn't French cuisine (you know, like Rachel Ray would do). The thing is, I think, Tony knows the deal about French cooking: it's all rooted in traditional home cooking anyways, so there's no reason for it to be the exclusive property of Le Cordon Bleu grads. Gotta love all the profanity too. :P

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 4:24 am

I really enjoyed reading Kitchen Confidential, and A Cook's Tour, just started The Nasty Bits, he's a great writer very fun to read his stuff he has the book out now for No Reservations which I have to get now

atmosphere88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2008, 10:51 am

i know the marathon is over but did anyone else think the Jamaican episode was a little boring and not as funny as some of the earlier episodes

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 10:57 am

I recently discovered his show and its my favorite thing to watch along with Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. He's pretty hard on vegetarians but offers a humanizing portrait of Muslim cultures.