Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 11:07 pm

I know there are heaps of people out there who have been made quite ill by watching Highlander II or Star Trek Nemesis. There's also a lot of people who find that since they hate gore, they can't watch Friday the 13th Part 5.

This topic isn't about that stuff.

It's about movies which you thought were actually quite good but which still made you feel a bit unwell.

Irreversible - The whole movie but particularly the start.
Silence of the Lambs - The Autopsy Scene) because we didn't expect it.
Seven - The Gluttony bit
Hellraiser - The first time I saw the chains.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 11:49 pm

This is from Yahoo! News:

Hit monster movie is a literal stomach-churner: report

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 1:11 am

A few come to mind:

• Alien, 1979, Ridley Scott: The first, and best, of the series
  • Matador, 1986, Pedro Almodóvar: If you can sit through the first five minutes... :eew:
  • Vec vidjeno (English title: Reflections), 1987, Goran Markovic: One man's headlong plunge into insanity
  • The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, 1989, Peter Greenaway: Horrifying, yet you can't look away
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day, 1991, James Cameron: The T-800 shows Miles Dyson what he's really made of...
  • Pulp Fiction, 1994, Quentin Tarantino: Winston Wolf (Harvey Keitel) takes care of a little cleaning problem
  • Happiness, 1998, Todd Solondz: Laughing while flinching
  • Napoleon Dynamite, 2004, Jared Hess: Chow time at the egg farm! Enough to make you hurl

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jan 2008, 3:12 am

"Dead Ringers" by David Cronenberg. When see the surgical instruments that one of the two doctor-twins ( Jeremy Irons, brilliant) has had specially made for gynacological operation on the woman they love. First time saw it in cinema had to leave; the one and only time ever done that . Watched film since and discover is not summum of misogyny, more like dissection of, amongst other things. BUt the first time i felt sick and faint.

There's others, but that's the one i remember most.

"The Baby of Macon" by Peter Greenaway. Profound nausea/loss of hope. Ahh, one that as far as am concerned IS summum of misogyny, in believing woman is nothing but orifice, who can be annhilated thereby, ( to which the almost perfect antidote is "The Piano", which i was lucky enough to see the next day, and which shows that hands may be more important).

8)

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 6:22 am

I felt a bit sick watching cloverfield.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 7:04 am

ouinon wrote:
"Dead Ringers" by David Cronenberg.

I thought of that one too. Soooo squicked-out by those surgical instruments. 8O Geneviève Bujold did a great job in the Claire Niveau role.

The only other Greenaway film I've seen is The Draughtsman's Contract, which wasn't misogynistic, but was very gruesome at the end.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jan 2008, 9:09 am

SleepyDragon wrote:
ouinon wrote:
"Dead Ringers" by David Cronenberg.
Geneviève Bujold did a great job in the Claire Niveau role.

Totally agree. I think she is brilliant.

Just remembered another one; "Betty Blue" ( or " 37° le matin") , where Beatrice Dalle covers face with tomato sauce, and then sticks fork in eye.

Also "The Tenant" by Roman Polanski.
Was about to pick on scene near end when he is pulling himself back up the stairs to throw himself out of window again, but actually it's the whole film that makes me feel ill.

"Repulsion", by him too, with Catherine Deneuve. Claustrophobia and distorted perception.

PS/ yes, the death by gluttony in "seven" was pretty foul, though like a lot of Fincher too systematic/mentally neat and tidy to really disturb me. Cool. Clever. Disgusting. But not as horrifying as Polanski dragging himself up the stairs to throw himself out of the window a second time. THAT is so utterly out of whack it's nausea inducing. In fact i think the horror is in the blending together of victim and murderer, which Fincher misses by making his gluttonous death the serial killer's "creation".

8)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 9:52 am

Er... Cannibal Holocaust, Irreversible, Raped By An Angel, Red to Kill, a few other exploitation films...

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2008, 11:39 pm

gbollard wrote:
Irreversible - The whole movie but particularly the start.

i saw this in a theater so i couldnt fast forward through the most disturbing rape scene ever :cry:

Requiem for a Dream - intense and disturbing
The Shining - a masterpiece, but its not something i can just pop in the dvd player whenever i feel like it
Straw Dogs - again, a very disturbing rape scene
Blue velvet - frank boothe!
Eraserhead - most disturbing film you'll ever see
Elephant man - verge of tears the entire movie
Schindler's list - not a happy one!
the Constant Gardener - depressing film, depressing ending
Downfall - even though they are all nazis, you still feel emotions for them
Raging bull - tragic picture of the monster that was jake lamotta
Deliverance - Disturbing stuff, including yet another rape
Deer Hunter - that roulette scene in the jungle is definitely the most intense scene ever filmed

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 12:29 am

Believe it or not, I literally got sick to my stomach after seeing Darth Maul cut in half in The Phantom Menace.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 12:54 am

Quote:
Believe it or not, I literally got sick to my stomach after seeing Darth Maul cut in half in The Phantom Menace.

I can believe it, I was saying - no... not him... the gungan !

opal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 1:00 am

History of violence - I think that wa the point though - to show how immune society has become to violence and just accepts the unnacceptable. In one particularly gory and graphic scene a woman in front of me was LAUGHING

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 7:34 pm

Many, many...

Kill Bill...
Saving Private Ryan...
Sin City...

I gotta agree about Se7en, but for me it was the Lust death....

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 11:44 pm

I'd have to say "A Clockwork Orange"...even though it's my favourite all-time movie, when I first watched it, I can remember feeling quite ill at the last third of the movie where Alex, having been reconditioned, is trying to fit in with society again, but winds up being the victim of his previous victims. Bitter irony, eh?

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 12:08 am

My fifth grade teacher made me, at the age of ten, watch a PBS documentary about WWII.

With lots of original footage.

From Nazi death camps.

Scarred me for life.

WWII docs are awesome and informative IF YOU'VE BEEN THROUGH PUBERTY. 8O If you're a little kid they're just DISTURBING and NIGHTMARE-INDUCING.