How many of you use or have used The Pirate Bay?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2012, 3:17 am

If you in any way like what they do, please just sign your name here:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Grant_ ... or_pardon/

This is his request for clemency.
It is quite shocking and I have to say I'm ashamed of Sweden for handling it so badly.

http://falkvinge.net/2012/07/06/afterma ... own-words/

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 3:41 am

I have and still do for music and sometimes movies. Are they being shut down? If so that would be horrible, losing Megaupload this year was enough of a blow.

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2012, 3:56 am

They aren't being shut down, well, not successfully anyhow. :D Anyway, this guy, Peter Sunde, was the former spokesperson for TPB. He's facing a one year prison sentence here in Sweden and after that he'll have to pay 10 million euros. He haven't actually done ANYTHING illegal and this is a sign up petition to stop that from happening.

If you have the time, read through his plea, it's horrifying and scary. Especially since Sweden claims to be a honest and not corrupted country. I should know, I live in it.

Tidal
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2012, 7:04 pm

Piratebay isn't going anywhere, and even if it got taken down there are 1000s more torrent sites to replace it.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 7:23 pm

They've blocked it in my country for several internet providers, including mine, after a court order on behalf of a political pressure group. Needless to say, it took us less than an hour after the announcement, and several days before the block went into effect, to have dozens of backups, mirror sites and proxies available. I'm still using it almost every day, even though I can't access the website itself, because many of the things I'm looking for are exceedingly hard to find anywhere but on the internet here. Cult movies, old films, shows not broadcast here, shows blocked here, episodes of shows I couldn't watch - those things.

Basically, instead of the normal website, I visit the same website under a different name. The files remain the same, and accessible to all. However, I'm watching my behaviour online now - the website has been blocked on a court order, and PeerBlock suggests that any torrent I have is being watched by several European "authors' rights" companies that have previously brought random charges against people for their involvement in these things.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 11:45 am

Tidal wrote:
Piratebay isn't going anywhere, and even if it got taken down there are 1000s more torrent sites to replace it.

If only the fringe groups, lobbyists, and politicians understood this.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm

I'm suspicious of such websites and content being a source of viruses. At a place I used to work people ran file sharing or Napster like programs and contaminated the work computer with Malware.

I manage to checkout enough bands on YouTube.

Otherwise, some smaller bands are wising up to the internet just making most of their content free on their own website. They know this gets the word out so they can draw people to concerts where they make their real money.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 1:32 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
I'm suspicious of such websites and content being a source of viruses. At a place I used to work people ran file sharing or Napster like programs and contaminated the work computer with Malware.

I manage to checkout enough bands on YouTube.

Otherwise, some smaller bands are wising up to the internet just making most of their content free on their own website. They know this gets the word out so they can draw people to concerts where they make their real money.

My brother's always worried about accidentally downloading viruses from torrents too. But I believe that as long as you have up-to-date antivirus software, you should be just fine.