Ninth (Christopher Eccleston) 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Tenth (David Tennant) 36%  36%  [ 15 ]
Eleventh (Matt Smith) 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 42

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 6:29 pm

Okay, haven't had one of these threads in a long time, to my knowledge. Uh, okay, so we did. But this thread has a poll! Polls are good.

Now, I am listing all 11 Doctors. I want to see some voting for classic series Doctors. Most other threads, it's all for David Tennant or Matt Smith. One should consider the classic series as well. After all, without the classic series, we wouldn't have the new series.

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:19 pm

So far, so good. Besides my vote for Sylvester McCoy, we have one for David Tennant and one for Jon Pertwee!

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 5:28 am

Okay, so the frontrunner is Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor (no real surprise there). Any more votes?

On sabbatical...

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 2:30 pm

I'm sorry, but I had to vote for Tennant, simply because it's the only Doctor Who I've heard of, and it's n ot by watching the show, but by following someone's Tumblr.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 7:25 pm

If you haven't watched the show at all, you shouldn't have voted. :?

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 8:59 pm

I'm surprised that there are this many votes for Matt Smith. Come on, surely there are more votes for classic Doctors?

On sabbatical...

J4mes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2012, 4:21 am

Eccleston for me. I grew up with McCoy so I'll always have fond/horrific memories of his Doctor but Eccleston was quite intense which I liked. The two young Turks after him have done/are doing an excellent job though I must say.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:26 pm

Excellent. We have some justification. :)

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 6:44 pm

David Tennant is in the lead. Any more votes?

On sabbatical...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 1:45 am

I had to go with Baker, as he was the Doctor when I first started watching the show on PBS as a kid. Tom Baker will always be the Doctor for me.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 11:20 am

I voted for Matt Smith, even though I've seen many before him, and loved Tom Baker, Peter Davison, and David Tennant's Doctor's as well, because he's captured and in some cases amplified the eccentric qualities of all of them.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2012, 12:31 pm

I voted Tennant, because I havent gotten to see the original series yet. I havent been able to find it on dvd (just a few episodes) and its not on TV anymore as far as I can tell.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 12:46 pm

I had to give my vote to Tenant even though I'm a fan of classic as well. Not because of the fancy special effects or overall shiny new-ness, but just because he's a truly amazing actor and did great things with the character. Patrick Troughton is pretty high up for me as well, disappointed to see he got no votes at all. Tom Baker was pretty great too - but I'm ashamed to say that between him and Eccleston I haven't seen them yet, still catching up.

I hate Matt Smith and Jon Pertwee in a big way. I couldn't even bring myself to watch most of Pertwee's episodes during my run-through of the classics, it was just too painful. I've watched all the Smith ones but only because I feel obligated as a fan to suffer through it. He's just... awful. Sorry, I know not everyone shares my opinion, but I honestly can't see any way he got that role other than by maybe being related to someone on the inside. Especially since they were supposed to have an older doctor for a change, that would have been nice. I also heard they offered the part to Benedict Cumberbatch and he turned it down, which is hugely disappointing - he'd be a AMAZING doctor!

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 8:59 pm

Disappointed with the poll, I have to admit. Tennant's Doctor turned into such a hammy, scenery-chewing clown. I don't understand his appeal, especially for Aspies. His first series was good, but it just got increasingly painful after that, as Davies manipulated the 10th Doctor into a pathetic fop. Tennant's a good ensemble actor, but he sucks as a lead. He all but ruined Hamlet too, and I was actually thinking he could pull that off. My bad.

My fav used to be Eccleston, but Matt Smith's blown him away. Matt's got real acting chops and can smoothly play all the shades of the Doctor without being the contemptible, manic clown like Tennant was. Plus Moffatt, despite my quibbles over his writing, has salvaged the Doctor from Davies' fan-hating butchery and made him a character worth caring about again. My third fav would be Troughton, the 2nd doctor.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 11:12 pm

I'm disappointed that there are more votes for Matt Smith than there are for Tom Baker. :(

Matt Smith's best quality is that he is able to show the Doctor's age, despite the youthful appearance. But he's not a particular favourite of mine as the Doctor.

On sabbatical...

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2012, 1:51 am

Quatermass wrote:
I'm disappointed that there are more votes for Matt Smith than there are for Tom Baker. :(

Matt Smith's best quality is that he is able to show the Doctor's age, despite the youthful appearance. But he's not a particular favourite of mine as the Doctor.

I admit, Tom Baker really seems like the one who ought to win out. He was, for years, the man most people thought of when someone said Doctor Who. Him and the scarf. The go-to Doctor. But the quality you mention about Matt Smith is a lot of his appeal to me. I don't know if it's the writing or him, but he does not come off as some young kid capering about with joy because he gets to be Doctor Who. He comes off as a very old dude who is saying, "Well, so this is what I look like now. Huh. Whaddya know. The chicks seem to like it. Well, might as well make the most of it while it lasts..." And Tennant, much as I loved his Doctor, became the Apologizer. I can't verify whether he apologized in every single episode, but it had to have been at least half...

"I'm sorry... I'm so, so sorry..."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQkFNVhppXo[/youtube]

And I think they missed some.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.