The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 928 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 925, 926, 927, 928, 929, 930, 931 ... 1006  Next

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 11:16 am

Weed's axion: it's so sad and true :cry:

and now for something completely different: I'm happy !
:)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Sep 2010, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Weiner's Law of Libraries There are no answers, only cross references.

How true.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 4:58 pm

We also need more people to obey Wheaton's Law, named for actor/author/voice artist Wil Wheaton: "Don't be a dick."

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 6:19 pm

Deacon, I'm glad you can quote the Constitution. Wish I could. I always have to look it up.
Rain came a month early here, so who is still having a drought?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:35 pm

lelia wrote:
Deacon, I'm glad you can quote the Constitution. Wish I could. I always have to look it up.

Thanks for the complimentary assumption - I actually have a bookmark to an online, hyperlinked edition of the Constitution (it was that or commit the exact phrasing of Article IV, Section 1 to memory while arguing with people at the Seattle Times website...). :nerdy: :)

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 8:57 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
lelia wrote:

Thanks for the complimentary assumption - I actually have a bookmark to an online, hyperlinked edition of the Constitution (it was that or commit the exact phrasing of Article IV, Section 1 to memory while arguing with people at the Seattle Times website...). :nerdy: :)

oh, that's CHEATING! :lol:

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Oct 2010, 1:51 pm

lelia wrote:

Had a drought here in Pennsylvania with burn-bans in effect for Lancaster, York, and Adams Counties. Then a remnant of tropical storm Nicole dumped over six inches of rain on us.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 9:51 pm

hail, hail, the gang's all here!

Finally have a computer, finally have an internet connection. goodness, I have just about enough to make me dangerous again!

Merle

( . . . a preposition is a terrible word to end a sentence with.)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Oct 2010, 6:09 pm

Back To WrongPlanet Merle!! !Image

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 11:06 pm

richie wrote:
lelia wrote:

Had a drought here in Pennsylvania with burn-bans in effect for Lancaster, York, and Adams Counties. Then a remnant of tropical storm Nicole dumped over six inches of rain on us.

oh my. hope you got your waders!

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 11:50 pm

Well, tonight we got a bit of an emotional teeter-totter, although the kids would probably try to claim roller-coaster status.

H picked up a copy of "Wii Sports", as our original copy bit the dust during the last move. (She also grabbed me a job application for GameStop, as they're hiring seasonal help, and I think that's about as long as I could take working a register...) So, she played a couple of sets of tennis, boy and dog cheering enthusiastically (and dog watching her controller hand, convinced she was actually about to throw a ball). Then on to golf - and on the third hole, a loud POP! came from the front of the TV, and the screen went black.

So okay, kids are crying now because no more video game, and we're sitting here thinking we're hosed. When we bought this rear-projection LCD TV used a couple years ago, the former owner told us he'd just had a new bulb installed for $400, and there's no way we've got four bills just lying around. Further, the manual (available online) told us how the lights should flash on the front to indicate a bad bulb, and we're not seeing that. After I found a reference on a discussion base, however, I realized we hadn't given it long enough, and finally got the error code indicating the projector bulb was indeed blown. Great, $400 for a new bulb, or even more for a new TV - we're screwed.

And then, looking further online, I found that either the price has dropped dramatically over the last couple of years, somebody saw that guy coming a mile off, or he was just plain lying - because it's available online for as little as $75, or locally for about $150, which we can just barely manage. So tomorrow we'll be buying the new bulb, which is a user-serviceable part. The fun bit will be telling J when he gets home, because right now he's on 24-hour CQ duty (which he also had Friday). He's going to be tired, and a little punchy, but I think he should be okay when I remind him that a) most of the games he plays are on his computer; b) his bedroom TV's just fine, if there's something on in the morning he just has to see; and c) if he really urgently wants to play a game, we can move one of the game systems in there for a little while, as long as he's not looking to play online...

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 11:33 am

Hi All,
Out of concern for my sweet aspie son (who got a job!! !! !! !! !!) who lives with another son and his wife and kids, I once again said something really offensive to my daughter-in-law. While I was contemplating how I could go back in time and undo this and why can't I learn to keep my mouth shut etc, my son told me exactly how offensive I was, so when I could I went to my daughter-in-law and said, "Once again I have been rude and crude and created a problem where there was no problem. I'm sorry." She said, "That's okay." and ran off. My son kissed me. He gets it and tries to give me word pictures so I will understand. I would not be surprised if my DIL were getting tired of me. But I did have a good time with the grandsons who are actually happy to see me. We tried to dismantle a blender motor and went to the movies (Despicable Me) and to some farms for harvest activities etc.
My aspie got a minimum wage job playing a computer game all day and looking for glitches and coming up with patches. It wears him out. He says he is still thinking slower than he used to (due to ankylosing spondylitis and meds and pain etc) but he is happy to be working again after a year of unemployment. He was due to run out of money last month (he's one good saver) so the crisis of going to live in his parent's basement was averted. He looked very happy as he explained how the game was going to revolutionize the computer game industry. He could feel how his brain shifted while doing this game in a new way. Understand he said this in a much more precise and technical manner than I have indicated. But I don't understand a few of the words and we were eating in a loud Mexican restaurant.
And speaking of my lack of hearing, everybody went to see the movie about the owls in Ga'hoole. Beautiful scenery, lots of flying, lots of talking, lots of flying, lots of talking, lots and lots of talking of which I understood nothing in a warm theater. I woke up in time to see the final battle. I missed the echidna and all the plot. I did recognize the tasmanian devil which everyone else thought was a funny looking wolf. I gave my husband, sparing everyone else, a lecture on the flora and fauna of Australia.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 12:43 am

Crimson flames tied through my ears
Rollin’ high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads
Using ideas as my maps
“We’ll meet on edges, soon,” said I
Proud ’neath heated brow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth
“Rip down all hate,” I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
Spoke from my skull. I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers
Foundationed deep, somehow

Girls’ faces formed the forward path
From phony jealousy
To memorizing politics
Of ancient history
Flung down by corpse evangelists
Unthought of, though, somehow

A self-ordained professor’s tongue
Too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty
Is just equality in school
“Equality,” I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow

In a soldier’s stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I’d become my enemy
In the instant that I preach
My pathway led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow

[Bob Dylan]

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 9:12 am

sinsboldly wrote:

Finally have a computer, finally have an internet connection. goodness, I have just about enough to make me dangerous again!

Hi Merle - just a quick visit but had to say "Hi".

Glad to see you are OK. :)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:28 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Hi Merle - just a quick visit but had to say "Hi".

Glad to see you are OK. :)

g'day, mate! good to see you, too. :D

Merle

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 11:21 pm

merley - did you ever get the carpet for your ride?

i'm starting to get back to "normal" although there are still days that the pain wins. we just got back from a drive - the moon is very low on the horizon tonight. nice night, though, cool, pleasant. got something to drink and went looking for halloween lights. not too many on yet, but we drove by "crazy uncle steve"'s place and he was out there working in the dark to get it set up. he does a good one for halloween, then does a 2-week turnaround and it's a christmas show.

crazyunclesteve.com he really does a great job.