Anyone else dislike introducing themselves?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

7balloons
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Feb 2013, 9:06 pm

I also hate introducing myself to people.
So, hi.

Slonick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2013, 12:51 am

Hi my name is Natasha, I am 34 years old, a college student with undecided major, who lives in OR.

All my life I have been wondering why I am so hated by everyone( even being in preschool)
Now i know, and i feel better because my aspie diagnosis gave me a sense of beloning to a group. I am not an outcast anymore.

HeWhoTheGodsDetest
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2013, 11:38 pm

I hate it too; makes me feel like I'm in a freakin' AA meeting.
"Hi, my name is so-and-so and I'm an alcoholic."

- Robert Downey Jr. as Kirk Lazarus as Sergeant Four Leaf

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2013, 4:41 pm

Me too, dont like the whole process feels unecessary

I remember introducing myself on WP and was so surprised people welcomed me - I didnt really introduce myself
anyway....

WELCOME To WP !

Zemashumashu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2013, 7:47 pm

I hate introduce myself cause I don't really have anything interesting I would like to share about myself. Introducing yourself feels like some sort of boasting and it makes me feel uneasy.

Welcome!

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

actually, originally i never liked introducing myself. in fact i utterly hated and always seriously avoided self introductions in public. my armpits would sweat profusely and i would shiver uncontrollably when i had to make a self introduction. it was embarrassing. but i forced myself to do it. sometimes the apprehension reappears, but i can switch to extrovert happy mode, and do what i think needs to be done as a member of society. it is my own self-imposed obligation.

i believe self introductions are a necessary part of social conventions and etiquette. i support it. of course it is voluntary and you do not force people to do it. you do it because you want to. it is good because it helps the existing people of the group to clearly see the new person. and begin to accept him/her into its social network.

i like the formality and etiquette in society because it helps human relations to function smoothly. of course so called "social pleasantries" are indeed superficial, but i think they have a good effect, at least in the initial stages of the social interactions. eventually of course it can not sustain the new relationships, but at least gives it a "good start".

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 6:54 pm

Yes. It is not comfortable and I have no clue what to say.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

i HATE introducing myself. I never know what the hell to say about myself. I don't wanna sit there and talk about myself forever, and I'm never sure what's appropriate to tell people really.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 6:05 am

I hate it, too. I also never know how to start (after telling my name) and what to say. I think I just don´t know any interesting things about me which I could tell and I am never sure what the others want to hear.