Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Diamondgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Dec 2020, 12:22 am

Hey everybody!

I'm new to the forum and new to the world of ASD Level 1, as I've just got the diagnosis in September. I guess I'm different from most in that I'm actually a woman and I'm 50 years old. My ASD Level 1 has mainly affected me socially over the years. To be honest I wasn't even sure I would qualify for diagnosis. I don't have children either, as I'm still really trying to bring myself up.

I'm wondering if there are any other women out there in my age group who've found an online support community. I don't want to disclose my ASD to my employer so I'm a bit reluctant to use the Facebook groups out there. I'd like to be a little more anonymous online.

I'm still working out how to approach all this but a support network has been one thing that's missing in my life.

Looking forward to hearing some other people's thoughts.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 5:13 am

welcome, I finally got a diagnosis at age 68, turned my world upside down in a good way. Such a relief to know every failure and struggle in my life til now was NOT "all my fault". Takes a lot of time to sort through it from this new perspective and understand how autism worked all that time without anybody suspecting or knowing. I found several online forums (through facebook for the most part but this group has been great too for insights) that were for newly diagnosed autistic people, or people who are over 50 and wondering if they are indeed autistic... I have learned there are many members here who were late diagnosed and over 40... glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 4:52 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 6:44 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I didn’t figure out I had aspergers until just before my 64th birthday. It’s been great to learn why I am so different.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 7:23 pm

Greetings and saluations. 8)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 7:42 pm

Welcome.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 3:36 pm

Pepe wrote:
Greetings and saluations. 8)

Haha.. thought I could smell you lurking around the forums :mrgreen: :lol:

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2020, 6:20 pm

Welcome. I'm also female, but level 2, and in my 30s. I was diagnosed just prior to 30. I haven't found any good communities, most are extremely condescending toward me. There are a few people here and there that I've met and can relate to, but mostly it's been a strong challenge. As a level 1, you probably will do better and find more community.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 6:55 pm

Hi, DiamondGirl---nice to meetcha!! I was diagnosed well over a decade, ago, at age 47 or 48 (Asperger's under DSM IV). Finding out about oneself is sorta bittersweet---it was for me, anyway---because I was thankful I finally had an answer, but I was VERY angry that no one had told me before.

As for a support community: I think this place will be great for you---there's alot of us, here, who were diagnosed, well into adulthood; you're not different from most, here, it's about 50/50 (older and young). Maybe, just observe, for awhile---read everything (there's a specific women's forum, here), then, when you feel comfortable, enough, jump in!!

I hope it works out for you, and I hope you stick around, for awhile---we're glad you're here!!

Take care,

Cat

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 8:21 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Hi, DiamondGirl---nice to meetcha!! I was diagnosed well over a decade, ago, at age 47 or 48 (Asperger's under DSM IV). Finding out about oneself is sorta bittersweet---it was for me, anyway---because I was thankful I finally had an answer, but I was VERY angry that no one had told me before.

As for a support community: I think this place will be great for you---there's alot of us, here, who were diagnosed, well into adulthood; you're not different from most, here, it's about 50/50 (older and young). Maybe, just observe, for awhile---read everything (there's a specific women's forum, here), then, when you feel comfortable, enough, jump in!!

I hope it works out for you, and I hope you stick around, for awhile---we're glad you're here!!

Take care,

Cat

I feel like i ripped myself off by not wanting to know why i was different and odd. i kinda took the approach as do some people who don't goto the doctor cause they don't want to really know the answer, but after accepting that i wasn't coping and everything i did in life wasn't working kinda felt some solace in knowing in the end. though in hindsight would have been better before i lost everything that mattered but unfortunately life isn't fair nd doesn't work that way.

Chachi11
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Dec 2020, 4:54 pm

Hi Diamondgirl. I am a woman, 40s, & was diagnosed a few years ago (Aspergers/DSM IV...good ol Aspergers! Basically ASD Level 1 I think before the DSM took Aspergers out? Someone please correct me if I'm giving false info.).

I don't really know what to say about communities as I am uhhhhhhmazingly gawky & a dork. If you're looking for real live in person communities...I have no advice. I mean, I could say it's because we are in a world wide pandemic, but even before this I just really liked to chill with my dogs.

But if you mean online:.this forum is fun to read even if I'm usually too awkward to post; there are some really good Reddit aspie/autism communities out there where you may feel at home; Quora is actually good sometimes too. You can make an additional account for facebook if you want to remain anonymous & be an autistic superspy? There is an app called "Hiki" , specific to the Autistic community, that I have made some friends on (tho it seems to mostly be a "romance" thingy there IS a friend option, & I put "friends only" & that worked; there's also a friendship chat thing going). These things will probably lead you to other links & networks of support & information.

That's my starter kit! Welcome. I am happy for you that you have new information about yourself.

:D

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2020, 5:16 am

Welcome

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 6:50 pm

Chachi11 wrote:
Hi Diamondgirl. I am a woman, 40s, & was diagnosed a few years ago (Aspergers/DSM IV...good ol Aspergers! Basically ASD Level 1 I think before the DSM took Aspergers out? Someone please correct me if I'm giving false info.).

I don't really know what to say about communities as I am uhhhhhhmazingly gawky & a dork. If you're looking for real live in person communities...I have no advice. I mean, I could say it's because we are in a world wide pandemic, but even before this I just really liked to chill with my dogs.

But if you mean online:.this forum is fun to read even if I'm usually too awkward to post; there are some really good Reddit aspie/autism communities out there where you may feel at home; Quora is actually good sometimes too. You can make an additional account for facebook if you want to remain anonymous & be an autistic superspy? There is an app called "Hiki" , specific to the Autistic community, that I have made some friends on (tho it seems to mostly be a "romance" thingy there IS a friend option, & I put "friends only" & that worked; there's also a friendship chat thing going). These things will probably lead you to other links & networks of support & information.

That's my starter kit! Welcome. I am happy for you that you have new information about yourself.

:D

Hiki - sound cool i'm gon take a look as just having moved house and have completed a total of 3/4 tasks, virtually nothing. So will add it to my to get done by christmas list, such as unpacking and putting things away, properly make bed, my life, etc. and btw the DSM changed in 2013 so it's all just called ASD now but seems pretty common they still use the earlier dsm reference - i just call it autisim, aspie etc it's the same diagnosis.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 8:19 pm

Welcome to WP! :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 9:38 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

DesertWitch
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2020, 7:47 pm

So glad for older autistic women. I'm 51 and was diagnosed late last year-ish? I also am feeling cautious of an "official" diagnosis, though I am not at all uncertain that I'm on the spectrum. Can someone explain the difference between level 1 and 2 and so on?