Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kyotee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2021, 9:13 pm

Hey fellow wrong planet folks.

I'm new to this site - 27 years old and just learned that I have Aspergers - can anyone whos discovered this in adulthood share some insight with me into the positive things that have come about since learning that you're on the spectrum?

Appreciate all who take the time :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 9:40 pm

I am waiting to be assessed so I do not know yet if I am on the spectrum or not, but it is looking that way. :)
Welcome to Wrong Planet.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 10:09 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 10:22 pm

Welcome to WP! I think you will find some nice folk here.

And, with respect to your request...I found out at age 64 that I was on the Spectrum. And then the COVID-19 pandemic came around and I've been mostly staying home. (My age is just one high risk thing for me.) So, I've had limited opportunity to explore being an Aspie.

I can tell you that it was absolutely wonderful to find out. It explained so much. But, practical benefits? So far, not so much.

I was really hoping for one practical benefit: I was hoping that my medical providers could communicate more effectively with me. (I want stuff in writing and in simple terms.) So far, no luck. If you want to try your luck, then maybe start here:

https://autismandhealth.org/inc/content/pv_fac.pdf
And, I guess it might be a good idea to be careful revealing the diagnosis to folk. I guess strangers are fair game but I think--after the pandemic--I will choose to share the diagnosis only with folk who I don't think will be jerks about it.

But, honestly, I think my diagnosis is more interesting trivia than anything else.

Take care!

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 2:49 pm

Welcome friend.
I knew since I was young that I was autistic but am just now beginning to see what positive things it can bring. A relative said to me a couple days ago that I had an extraordinary capacity to store and retain information, which could or could not be linked to my autism.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 5:18 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I did not discover I was aspie until just a few years ago. The biggest difference it made for me was to suddenly have the perspective to make sense of my life. And I’ve learned a lot from this forum.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 4:08 pm

welcome! I learned about my autism at age 65 and was formally diagnosed at 3 days before my 68th birthday. I will be 70 this year.

Diagnosis was the best thing since my marriage and the birth of my 2 kids. It helped me understand all the pains and struggles of my life since early childhood.

So many painful "whys" got answers, it was a huge relief to finally understand. Once I understood, and I had useful neurological test results, I was able to change many of my worst struggles by finding new ways to do things, or dropping the worst struggles and substituting something else completely.
I chose my worst struggles first and tried new ways to deal with the things that were hardest in my life. things have been getting better as I learn new ways to adjust my world so that I do not constantly have too much input, do not have to force myself to do things I am sure I will fail at over and over to please other people

. It was a roller coaster of emotions as I tried to sort out the past and see how autism had worked in my life all those years with nobody knowing.
Little by little I am losing anxiety, feeling safer, and understanding more about almost everything.

Now I can understand how autism was there, and everything was really not "all my fault" as I had grown up believing.

Now I know why I tried so many things and failed without ever knowing my neurology was different.

Best wishes. Be kind to yourself and enjoy exploring all the new ideas. Lots of folks on forums like this one can share tips and help point out things that worked for them with similar situations or struggles.
Congratulations on your autism diagnosis and welcome. You are not alone!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 4:19 pm

Hello Kyotee
nice to meet you!

I am also one of the late diagnosis people. Haven received a diagnosis of ASD of the Asperger Syndrome Variety approximately 3 to 4 years ago.

Positive impact on my well life
is firstly the knowledge that i now have access to now that i know what is wrong with me

Also1

with now that i have an official disability, i am eligible for social housing in the tiny island that i live on.
The significance of this change in my life can not be underestimated, as i live on an island that is tiny, with
a fair size population for its size, where the real estate is charged at a premium due to building restrictions.

All budget housing is super poor quality. The island i live, despite being the island that i was born on,
is now an island for the wealthy, and that cares a great deal less for the native inhabitants.

Also2

another great benefit of being recognised with this disability is that i now am eligible to some form of long term
disability benefit, which is called incapacity allowance in the island that i live.

Also3

in the case that the disability is present co-morbidly with other ailments such as anxiety, GAD or any other mental health disorders etc. Then it may even be possible to be eligible for disability allowance without the requirement of work.

So... does that change things for me? Yup, all the above does make life a lot more bearable.
Still a bit of a turd in my shoe is ASD, but i guess the local government at least tries to compensate those with a crap deal in life... at least for now... hopefully they wont be able to find the gas taps on the showers...

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 5:45 pm

Welcome to wrong planet .!

where ever you go ,there you are

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 10:14 am

Welcome to WPea! :mrgreen:

The_Wolf