Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

oboeyoudidnt
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Mar 2024, 2:07 pm

Hi Wrong Planet! It's great to meet you all, and I hope this is the beginning of many beautiful friendships!

About me:
I'm a 22-year-old trans girl from Pennsylvania, 10 months on HRT as of today. I have a huge range of nerdy interests, from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney to stellar astrophysics! I'm living at home with family and trying to find work, but once upon a time I was a bright-eyed, ambitious college student. Now, I'm not quite sure what to call myself. "NEET" is probably the closest thing.

Some history:
I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS and semantic-pragmatic language disorder when I was 4. I don't know much about the latter diagnosis, but I know the former puts me on the autism spectrum as of the DSM-5. I didn't even realize that until about a month ago. I stopped getting special education support when I entered high school, and, as misinformed as this was, I thought that the accommodations going away meant that I was "cured" of whatever had caused me to need that support as a child. Not so. (I don't know what was going through my head at the time. It's a horribly ableist line of thinking.)
Going to college turned out to be a huge roadblock for me: over the past four years, I've spent three semesters on leave, turned in tons of assignments late, and found my energy resources totally sapped every single day. I've had no idea what was going on with me for the longest time. It was only through the magic of the internet that I came across a phenomenon called "autistic burnout" and connected it to my childhood diagnosis. The Wikipedia article says this site coined the phrase, and that's what brought me here!
In addition to PDD-NOS/autism, I've been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and OCD, so please be patient with me. I'm not perfect, but I'm trying my best. ^-^

So... that's the pitch, really. I'm looking for a space to unwind, unmask, and hopefully get to know some cool people! Feel free to reply if you'd like to say hello.

22F, HRT 10 months.

It's great to meet you!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 2:42 pm

Welcome to WP!

Do you play the oboe?

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2024, 2:44 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

PineappleLobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2024, 2:52 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! It’s lovely to meet you!

oboeyoudidnt wrote:
Hi Wrong Planet! It's great to meet you all, and I hope this is the beginning of many beautiful friendships!

So... that's the pitch, really. I'm looking for a space to unwind, unmask, and hopefully get to know some cool people! Feel free to reply if you'd like to say hello.

There’s so many fascinatingly cool people here, it’s a really nice space. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 3:08 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it to be a nice place to revisit.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. From what you've said I suspect you would be a thorough employee in the proper job. I hope you find that job and that it takes good care of you and then you can retire and be happy.

(I was much happier after I retired.)

oboeyoudidnt
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Mar 2024, 3:24 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Do you play the oboe?

I've played the oboe since I was in sixth grade, for about six years. I haven't played it since I got to college, though (so, not for roughly 3 and a half years). One of the corks cracked in half and I don't know any instrument repair technicians. I still remember all the fingerings, though. I also play the piano, but I'm self-taught, so my technique and hand independence both need a lot of work.

utterly absurd wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Thank you!! :D

PineappleLobster wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet! It’s lovely to meet you!

There’s so many fascinatingly cool people here, it’s a really nice space. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Lovely to meet you too! I'm pretty sure I'm going to get addicted to this site haha.

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! I hope you find it to be a nice place to revisit.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. From what you've said I suspect you would be a thorough employee in the proper job. I hope you find that job and that it takes good care of you and then you can retire and be happy.

(I was much happier after I retired.)

Thank you... I hope so too. I'd thought about going into law or business once I graduated from college, but AI has been doing quite the number on those industries recently. Now I don't have a clue. But that's OK, right? I'm not sure anyone really has a clue, unless they're lucky enough to have a dream and follow it from a very young age.

22F, HRT 10 months.

It's great to meet you!

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2024, 6:12 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2024, 7:24 pm

Hi! I'm an oboist and your username caught my attention! lol

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 9:17 pm

welcome

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 9:38 pm

oboeyoudidnt wrote:
Thank you... I hope so too. I'd thought about going into law or business once I graduated from college, but AI has been doing quite the number on those industries recently. Now I don't have a clue. But that's OK, right? I'm not sure anyone really has a clue, unless they're lucky enough to have a dream and follow it from a very young age.

I found the Air Force to be a good first job. (I suppose the Space Force would be good, too.)

No job hunting, they find a job for you. And they can't fire you if you don't do anything serious enough to put you in jail.

And the U.S. likes veterans.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 10:34 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

In your first thread, you wrote a lot of abbreviations. So I decided to look some of them up to understand. You talked about "NEET". According to the internet, "A NEET, an acronym for "Not in Education, Employment, or Training", is a person who is unemployed and not receiving an education or vocational training."

So in a way you are saying that college is not working and you are off on your own.

You began this thread by saying, "I'm a 22-year-old trans girl from Pennsylvania, 10 months on HRT as of today." I wasn't sure what HRT meant so I looked that up.

According to the internet, "During menopause, your estrogen levels fall. Some women get uncomfortable symptoms known as vasomotor symptoms like hot flashes, or they can get other symptoms such as vaginal dryness. HRT (also known as hormone therapy, menopausal hormone therapy, and estrogen replacement therapy) is the most effective treatment for menopause symptoms."

So this describes a condition experienced by females. But the way you wrote you introduction you said you were a trans girl. Somehow that makes me believe that you are a male who underwent body modifications to become a female. Perhaps you can explain better?

You wrote, "I came across a phenomenon called "autistic burnout" and connected it to my childhood diagnosis."
From my perception, burnout is a condition caused by not being yourself. Many people on this site experience this condition. Severe stress, continuous stress, day after day stress cause this condition.

It seems like you are looking for advice on how to proceed forward in your life.
Humans are a very advanced form of life on our planet. We exist with multiple brains. One exist on the left side of our skull and the other on the right. They are very different brains. They perform very different skills. It is important for you to learn what you excel in. What do you do well. Where does your energy explode. This will direct your future if you let it. Do what you enjoy, what motivates you. This should be your focus.

You began by describing yourself as "A NEET, an acronym for "Not in Education, Employment, or Training", is a person who is unemployed and not receiving an education or vocational training." So perhaps your way forward is to pursue vocational training. Such as in the fields of:

Health
Cosmetologist
Culinary arts
Construction industry
Information Technology
Plumber
Carpentry
Dental hygienist
Dialysis Technician
Education
Electrician
Graphic design
Management
Agriculture
Auto servicing
Automotive
Business
Engineering
HVAC Technician
Nursing
Legal secretary
Hospitality
Design
Welder

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 4:48 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 7:24 pm

Welcome to WP! :alien:

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 7:10 am

hello and welcome!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 8:15 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!