Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Theoleper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2024, 7:04 pm

Ok, so I am a Christian minister. Please allow me to share my own experience. I didn't come to see that I had Aspergers until very late in life and had already been a full time pastor for almost twenty years before I came to see it. From a young man I was always very gifted in Biblical and theological studies and able to teach well. I ended up going into the ministry.

People in our denominational circles tend respect me and my ministry and see me as a sound, trustworthy voice. People love what I could do for them professionally as an exegete of scripture and teacher of theology. The same people though don't really tend to like me on a personal level. It's not that they are unkind or say it out loud...but...well, I think those on this forum probably already get it better than I can communicate it here in writing ;)

At denominational meetings with other pastors, I always seem to be moved to the edge of social circles during fellowship times. None have ever said they don't like me (that I've heard about), but over the years it is obvious I am on the outside.

It all finally made sense when I came to understand I am on the spectrum. I've lived almost all of my life behind a mask (socially speaking) without even knowing it...and it never really worked.

Now this is just a quick summary of the ministry side of things...there is also the family side, the friends side, and the business side...

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 8:25 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it to be a nice home-away-from home.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 9:28 am

Ahoy-hoy.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 10:12 am

There many gifts but one spirit that gives them 1 Corinthians 12

Welcome

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2024, 10:36 am

Oh, this is interesting. Welcome.

I can maybe relate a tiny bit here, with being respected but not necessarily liked on a personal level. At my work, people I work with I don't think would dispute I am good worker, am organized, and knowledgeable. However, I know on a personal level a few don't like me very much, I think they find me aloof and odd. Also, I've also felt like an outsider in the workplace or " you're not one of us". In all my years of working, I've never been able to shake that.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 11:23 am

Welcome to the wrong planet.

utterly absurd
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2024, 11:28 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:39 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 11:54 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Human beings are much more complex then most people understand. One reason is that we have multiple brains. One exist on the left side of our skull and the other on the right side. We incorporate multiple beings inside us. They become our daytime brain and our night time brain. The night time brain is active during REM and deep NREM sleep. These day/night brains are very different from each other, like night and day.

But because humans are complex creations, we are designed to come back to life. If the dominant brain that exist on the left side of our skull dies, our supporting brain, our night time brain can come online and fill the void. This is what happened to me when I was a young child of 3 or 4. I was attacked by a large animal and died, but I came back to life. I stood next to my body and watched my parents in utter horror standing next to my body, my dead body, which they placed on my bed. I didn't know I had died. I was just a very young boy trying to figure things out. Then a voice spoke to me. It said, "live or die, chose".

If you look deeply into near death experiences, you may find something of interest.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 5:52 pm

welcome, you are among friends.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson